"Blind" Mixing

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:26 am
plexuss wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:29 pm Sometimes I will make level and EQ moves without listening to what I am doing until I render. It's not true non-listening in that I do evenutally listen to what I've done but just not in real time as I am doing it. I am surprised at how well this works. It saves me a lot of time.
Why not save even more time and not make any level or EQ adjustments at all? I mean, if you aren't even going to listen to what you are doing, what is the point of doing it in the first place?
I do listen but not in real time, as I stated in my post.

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:19 am
I do listen, but not in real time, as I stated in my post.
Yes, you render the song first - and then listen. We all read your initial post.

And to be honest, it sounds pretty satirical. Hard to believe. And that's
why I responded in a satirical, exaggerated way:
enroe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:04 am
So - the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that
"blind mixing" offers fantastic advantages:

1. You don't need expensive monitors or speakers that are
somewhere in the room and take up a lot of space.

2. You don't need to optimize the room acoustically, which
can be relatively expensive and time-consuming.

3. You don't get tired so quickly when mixing - by listening
and analyzing the song and the sounds and the interaction
carefully and for a long time.

4. You can also mix songs that you don't actually like - or that
sound bad per se. Because: You just don't listen at all!

“Blind mixing” is a brilliant suggestion! Why didn't I think of
this before? :?: :?: :?:
What does that mean? Of course it is impossible - completely absurd -
to mix and not listen. So to speak, mix "from memory" - and then
listen to it later.

But to address your thought: If “listening” and “hearing” strains and
overwhelms you, then take a break from mixing! The solution is: take
a break!

The most important thing in mixing is not the plugins and technology
that you have. NO! The most important thing in mixing is learning to listen.
But you can only do that if you listen.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:19 amI do listen but not in real time, as I stated in my post.
Which means when you make the adjustment, you have no idea how effective it is going to be, you are flying blind. So my question stands - why do it at all? I mean, it's actually more work than doing it while the sequencer is playing because you have to stop playback, make your adjustment and then start playback again. It's daft, however you want to look at it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This thread and topic would be perfect for today, April 1st. 8)

More like dumb mixing.

Ha! Well sorry you didn't find this technique useful. I do. It saves me a lot of time and reduces listening fatigue. Of course you have know what you are doing and know what to expect which comes from learning tools very well. Maybe one day you will be able to get away with "blind mixing" and save yourself some time. However I can understand how the concept seems like a step in the wrong direction when you have no experience with it. It goes beyond "use your ears" and is more about "using your brain". One day maybe you will get there. But for now, hopefully at least you are using your ears, which seems to be a challenge for a lot of people. Work through that and maybe one day you can use your brain. :party:

Deafinitely sounds like deaf mixing.

But yes, you can do some technical stuff, like phase correction and sidechaining without hearing what is happening. But everything else pretty much needs to be heard... and if you say otherwise, then I will assume you are trolling.
Calm Before now 20% OFF!!! Code "KVR20" https://www.bigdaw.audio/products/calmbefore
In seconds, create contrast in your builds and transitions by automating low end, high end, gain, width, and washout.

I'm afraid that most of your listeners will focus on your music rather than your EQ curves.
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise."
Bertrand Russell
[a href="cleanervacuum.art"]WWW[/a]

BONES wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:26 am ... ...
I rarely use any effects or EQ at all, which is far more efficient. To be fair, I do rely on on-board effects a lot more than I used to, and I also spend a lot more time making sure all the patches work well within the context of the mix, but in terms of efficiency has it allowed us to use a Core i5 laptop on stage without having to worry about putting too much strain on the CPU.
I've been leaning in that direction (ok, sometimes) especially the part about making tracks fit well sonically (?) as i add them. I've also been scaling back on long effects chains and have been able to not just noodle around (ok, many folk call everything i do noodling around) but do finished pieces on a beater i3 with 6G RAM (dunno how that's even a thing), a machine given to me that originally i was only gonna use as an internet device.

As for "blind" mixing= the closest i get to the OP is using a controller and not looking at the screen when i mix.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Are you saying something like:

You listen to the mix and say “hmm.. bass needs to come down 2 db. A broad bell boost on the pad at 700 hz, and bring down the reverb by 4 db.” Then you go in and make the tweaks and bounce it down.

If your ears are trained I think it can be a good way of working.

stillshaded wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am ...

Yes, but even then you still need to hear how your EQ changes sound in context
with the other instruments or tracks. Mixing deaf is not possible at all - music has
to do with hearing, and mixing even more so. :tu:

stillshaded wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 am Are you saying something like:

You listen to the mix and say “hmm.. bass needs to come down 2 db. A broad bell boost on the pad at 700 hz, and bring down the reverb by 4 db.” Then you go in and make the tweaks and bounce it down.

Yes, exactly. And it is a good way of working because it's more efficient. Also, doing this can increase one's hearing aptitude and ability to be critical of one's mix (reducing cognitive bias). I am glad you see the benefits of this approach.

Return to “Production Techniques”