Visco sample-modeling drum machine by Forever 89

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please to merge this with Atlas.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I think I may have had something to do with them adding UI resizing so quickly after writing to their support and telling them that it seemed interesting, but it was far too small for me to be able to use comfortably, therefore I wouldn't be buying (or even demoing thoroughly). I wasn't expecting them to turn that around so quickly however (took them about 3 days I think, after initially telling me that it was on the to do list, but that they couldn't guarantee me it would be soon). This thing is fun though, with quite a unique approach, and the morphing is pretty damn slick, plus I'm a sucker for new drum plugins. I actually don't think the intro price is too much all things considered. I'm waiting to hear back from them about what their future plans are for it, but I'm pretty close to buying it I think.

MJACau wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:29 pm Who are Forever 89 to justify the price point. Am I missing something?!
It's basically donationware/nagware. You wait for the demo screen to disappear, then use it for free. Download now before they change their minds.

Vertlain wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:50 pm
"Forever ’89 is a creative studio co-founded by Svante Stadler and Rikard Jönsson", thats from the website. Afaik they had to do something with Ableton and Teenage Engineering. Is that enough to justify the price, I don't know but hope Visco will be evolving project. I finally had the time to play with it. It's fun. Could use additional functionality, but I guess these guys know how to code. The morphing between samples is beautiful. Also the fact that each sample (or the "blob"), including the ones you import into Visco, is mathematical representation and weights over 1kB is wild.
Thanks for the info I hope this evolves. It's 99 euro gamble.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

i´m on the demo:
can we import our own samples ? how ?

can´t open any Sample from their own "show folder" menu as well

Drag & drop on the Sound (Blob) interface _

Visco accepts WAV & AIFF and you can drag in up to two sounds at the time.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

geronimo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:07 pm Drag & drop on the Sound (Blob) interface _
just found it myself after RTFM. Thanks !
no clue why that didn´t worked bevore while trying.

ok, now thats becoming interesting.
Midi mapping looks good.

Also "draw sound file"?? (I'm not on my computer) But there's a menu based import in the file menu. It also appears to keep files you've imported under "user sounds". It's by far the smoothest sample Morpher I've used for drum sounds and it also covers lots of "spectral sampling" ground. Unfortunately it's lacking in many standard sampler functions (even for drum samples) like mute groups and linking or even a simple resampling based pitch control.
The developers/ developer are very nice and seem excited about making changes and improvements. I don't have any real issues (crashes, improperly recalled settings) and it's worth the money just for the smooth morphing and spectral stretching/ thresholding, which I'll use in sound design.

The blob interface is a bit iffy but as you're essentially redrawing a spectrograph (spectrogram?) if it moved incredibly responsively it would be even more difficult to tame. I do like how all the "blob controls" seem to work on the blob in whichever state the morph slider is in. So if I do a spectral mirror on a half cowbell/ half distorted kick I get a different output than if I had mirrored the sound while it was set to just cowbell and then moved the morph slider. Having undo for the edits is nice as well. I'd love to see a button that dumps the exact output to one side of a different sound, or maybe to the clipboard with an option of implying sounds from the clipboard in the sound menu. It definitely great for crazy percussion and generation of variations of drum sounds especially.

It appears to morph pitched sounds extremely well too, but the playback engine isn't really geared up for this and it also seems to have a data limit for the length of imported sounds.

Edit: my main point is that there are very few samplers out there that use a spectral playback engine and also have most of their parameters obviously based on spectral manipulation. I have a pure data based thing that does something similar but it's not anything like user friendly. So I'm excited for this type of sound manipulation even if it has some "issues" as there's not much direct competition.
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

the demo gives me an instant crash every time i try to load it in Reaper 7, Cubase 13 and AbLive 11
maybe it's something to do with my ancient intel i5 win10 laptop?

Funky40 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:34 pm Midi mapping looks good.
solo + mute buttons were not CC mappable.

gave it a spin and created a patch where alots of parameteres have been CC mapped.
The manual jamm potential is big. (mute + solo "CCed to buttons" have been missed !)
While its NOT an octatrack, i had a "similar type of fun" just jamming away.
(this took me 3x a novation Launch control XL, using mostly faders. so, it did it up "knobs". well, Faders. This one HAS that manual jamm potential))
i find it nevertheles overpriced vs. its current state.
To create nicely balanced Sample Sets will take some amount of time, though.
will be definitly worth it for me to put that time in sooner or later.
Fun little box.
I think thats how the future of how -at least some types of- "Drummachines" should look like.
Just 8 tracks is great for this one !

emef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm the demo gives me an instant crash every time i try to load it in Reaper 7, Cubase 13 and AbLive 11
I haven't had a single crash on win 10 in maschine bitwig or reaper. I'm using a random 4-5 year old Intel laptop at the moment. Have you contacted the guy? He seems friendly and approachable. Maybe there's a way to generate a log file that would help them sort out what's going on. If you're having crashes across that many hosts I would guess at a graphics acceleration bug.

One crash with REASON 12 under Monterey (Mac OS X) .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:53 pm
emef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm the demo gives me an instant crash every time i try to load it in Reaper 7, Cubase 13 and AbLive 11
I haven't had a single crash on win 10 in maschine bitwig or reaper. I'm using a random 4-5 year old Intel laptop at the moment. Have you contacted the guy? He seems friendly and approachable. Maybe there's a way to generate a log file that would help them sort out what's going on. If you're having crashes across that many hosts I would guess at a graphics acceleration bug.
cheers, i've just messaged him :tu:

and he got back to me already, really helpful and they're gonna look into it and get back to me

I think this is superb.

The resynthesis is incredible. Pretty much indistinguishable from the orginal and the ability to blend (as opposed to simply crossfade) between sampled is great.

I'm a little bit iffy about the blob thing. I get what it does and it's a cool way of editing but I would love to see something more direct added like a paint tool.

Also the Z-axis which controls spectral density is difficult to interpret in a 2d space. It reminds me of Z brush but Z brush allows you to alter the viewport so you can see the z axis depth in a much more succinct way. The way Z-axis in Visco is implemented is a kind of relief map with specularity representing the highest density.

I think the spectral tools/Blob is great for happy accidents and weird sounds but a little frustrating for accurate editing.

Also the envelopes and LFOs should have an option to be retriggered per track/channel as opposed to being globally triggered by any input from the sequencer or externally.

Choke groups would be nice too.

Does anyone know if there's an official list of feature requests somewhere? I sure would love a simple volume control that's always available on the right of the gui. Having to jump to the mixer to wiggle levels is a bummer.

Return to “Instruments”