Studio One where are you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:45 pm I don't feel alone at all and don't need attention.

When I say abandonment, these are minor updates.

An update is a major version, the rest are add-ons.
No. An update is an update.

But, sure, let's compare the last "major" update in Studio One and Cubase then. Last major update for Studio One was version 6.5 on the 26th of September 2023. Last major update for Cubase was the release of Cubase 13 on the 2nd of November 2023. About a month between those two.

Conclusion: Studio One must be abandoned.

Next off: Arguing that Cubase 13 brought a lot more useful features (useful for the OP of course) than Studio One 6.5, that's why Studio One must be abandoned.

Or was it common sense which was abandoned?

By the way, going by their release history, Studio One 7 is coming in approximately half a year. Might want to wait until then before finally calling it abandoned.

The way people work these days though, it might be delayed for a year. But, that's not because it's abandoned, it's because of people's work attitude these days. Guess Presonus Software can be happy when their employees show up for work at all, after so much home officing.

Just a heads up. Rick from Presonus said their is an update around the corner. This was about a week ago from the Studio One facebook group. A couple of other things:
1. Fender Play-Presonus Software are working on an program for Fender. Guessing a slim down version of Studio One for guitar players.
2. Presonus-Read that it's shutting down. They are switching to a new platform. Some third party developers are no longer going to be on it.

wuworld wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm 1. Fender Play-Presonus Software are working on an program for Fender. Guessing a slim down version of Studio One for guitar players.
Sounds interesting but why would it need to be slimmed down for guitarists?
What would be great is a DAW that comes stock with high end guitar and bass amp simulations, cabinets, and "stomp box" effects.
Also that cool feature where the BPM can be set with guitar strumming. I forget which app did this; it's a nice one for us guitarists.

X.x.X is a bug fix version. x.X.x adds features. X.x.x is of course a major upgrade. New versions and new features occur on fairly consistent schedules.

What is it you’re hoping for?
Do you have specific features you’re expecting?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

VOODOO U wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:23 pm
wuworld wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 pm 1. Fender Play-Presonus Software are working on an program for Fender. Guessing a slim down version of Studio One for guitar players.
Sounds interesting but why would it need to be slimmed down for guitarists?
Fender also owns Gretsch, so it’s probably slimmed down for drummers.

What? Surely Gretsch are better known for their guitars than drums? Until this minute, I didn't even know they made drums. Maybe they don't have a distributor here? When I search my local music shop's site, I only get results for guitars and merch.
Trancer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:45 pmWhen I say abandonment, these are minor updates. An update is a major version, the rest are add-ons.
No, an update is minor update, usually to fix issues not found in beta-testing or to support new protocols, etc. A major version is an upgrade.
What does the latest version of Studio One 6.5.2 really bring?
What does it need to bring? Studio One is already a very mature, full-featured application that meets or exceeds the needs of the vast majority of people working in music production. Anything they add now isn't going to make any material difference to anything, it's all just sauce for the goose. I could keep using Studio One Artist for the next 20 years and not feel like I was missing out on anything at all. Pro is already ridiculous overkill for most of us, we only use that fraction of the features we need, so what difference would it make if they discontinued development?
I'm just saying, development for additions in Studio One is dragging a bit.
No, quite the opposite - V5.5 took 18 months to appear after v5.0 was released, whereas we got 6.5 less than a year after 6.0. So, if anything, the pace of development has accelerated since Gibson bought them out.
By this I mean a version 7 for example, with new and real improvements and developments, new features for composition, mixing, vst, so that Studio One is sufficient in itself, a bit like Live for example.
That's asking a lot, given that the upgrade to v6 didn't bring much of that. In fact, there is not a single new feature from the 6.0 upgrade that I ever use. OTOH, v6.5 introduced some reasonably useful additions, although nothing I couldn't easily do without. Realistically, it doesn't need any new features, it's already capable of allowing you to doing anything you might need or want to do. Updates and upgrades lately just re-arrange the deckchairs.

And at least Presonus don't charge for 0.5 updates, like Steinberg have done in the past.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:21 am What? Surely Gretsch are better known for their guitars than drums? Until this minute, I didn't even know they made drums. Maybe they don't have a distributor here? When I search my local music shop's site, I only get results for guitars and merch.
Gretsch are actually quite famous for their drums. Mostly in the jazz and rockabilly communities. Lots of tone in those toms. Budgie played Gretsch shells from Juju up until the recording of Tinderbox. Those rolling toms are one of the defining sounds of the Banshees’s classic era.

But OK, yes, Gretsch are better known for guitars. But it’s the only company under the Fender umbrella that makes drums, so I needed it to make my drummer joke work. Now you’ve seen how the sausage is made.

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:21 am What does it need to bring? Studio One is already a very mature, full-featured application that meets or exceeds the needs of the vast majority of people working in music production. Anything they add now isn't going to make any material difference to anything, it's all just sauce for the goose.
Well, I would like to see automation revamped, with part containers and flexible destination reassignment.

Also some more track icons. Did you notice all of the guitar silhouettes are Fenders? We need some Gibsons in there.

Studio One where are you?

Sitting atop the mountain looking down. (and up and forward of course) :tu:
Say NO to CLAP!

Trancer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:38 pm Does Studio One still exist?

No more updates, radio silence from Presonus for the future of Studio One.

I am very motivated to learn Studio One in depth, but given the lethargy of Presonus for its development, I wonder if it is not better to abandon Studio One and invest my time in Cubase Pro 12, or even upgrade for it. version 13.

What do you think, Studio One has been abandoned by Presonus?

If it is to invest time in a daw which is losing development, there is no real point.

I prefer Studio One to Cubase, already for the workflow and CPU management.

But if Studio One no longer evolves or development lags, it is no longer really interesting in this case to continue the adventure with a daw which is or will be at some point in the background, or even obsolete compared to future developments in both software and hardware.
It's defnitely abandoned at this point, yes. I can recommed Babya Logic though - its development is steadfast.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Trancer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:45 pm if you find my post stupid
Nonono - it's fully of true wisdom&insight - KVR direly needs more bright young lads like you! :hail:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Would it be correct to say that Bitwig is the most actively developed DAW?

Uncle E wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:41 pm Would it be correct to say that Bitwig is the most actively developed DAW?
Maybe, but its a bit like Reaper in that nothing of any value (for me) ever gets added. I think my number one request for Bitwig would be the ability to change the theme. Studio One has a nicer (for me) default theme.

I got sent a questionaire from Presonus about a week ago, which had a questions about how I used sample based content. I kinda remember something about some sort of service and somthing related to AI. I'm not sure but it seems like Presonus are working on some sort of improved sample content management system.

I'm sure the Presonus team have their heads down after the winter break. :D
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”