Studio One where are you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:41 pm Would it be correct to say that Bitwig is the most actively developed DAW?
This is KVR. No DAW that exists is ever developed and adds no features. Just scroll through any DAW thread and you'll see. :tu:
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:41 pm Would it be correct to say that Bitwig is the most actively developed DAW?
I'm not sure if there is such a thing as "the most actively developed DAW". They're all actively developed as far as I'm concerned.

Again, what the OP is talking about is his subjective feeling and impression of being "abandoned". Nothing more, nothing less.

jjpscott01 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:23 pm
This is KVR. No DAW that exists is ever developed and adds no features. Just scroll through any DAW thread and you'll see. :tu:
Hehe, you're right. This is not a new thing. ;) Affects most plugins as well.

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:26 pm Again, what the OP is talking about is his subjective feeling and impression of being "abandoned".
Yes, agreed, but don't we all get a sick thrill out of waking up and finding out our DAW/plugin/computer/phone/car has been upgraded?

Depends. ;) I had 19 updates for apps on my phone yesterday, and today another 7, although I have very few apps installed on the device. At some point, it really gets pretty nuts. People obviously need the feeling of being updated, regardless of how little changes the update brings. Maybe DAW developers should do like app developers: Release small updates, which change the right bottom corner of the GUI, or change some fonts in the GUI, to give people the perception of not being abandoned. Or maybe they shouldn't do such crazy things.

Yes, it's not good. That's why I called it a sick thrill. We're being satiated by pixels.

More frequent updates just means more $$$$ you have to spend. Most DAWS already do 10x more than I will ever use and S1 pretty much does everything any producer needs already.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:47 pm Depends. ;) I had 19 updates for apps on my phone yesterday, and today another 7, although I have very few apps installed on the device. At some point, it really gets pretty nuts. People obviously need the feeling of being updated, regardless of how little changes the update brings. Maybe DAW developers should do like app developers: Release small updates, which change the right bottom corner of the GUI, or change some fonts in the GUI, to give people the perception of not being abandoned. Or maybe they shouldn't do such crazy things.
yum. eat up.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I got the impression it was more about whether it would be worth their time to put more effort into content, as something they might be able to sell separately. I don't install any of the content, beyond presets (for native effects). I have no need of any of it and I really appreciate how easy it is to do an install without any of it.
jamcat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:52 amDid you notice all of the guitar silhouettes are Fenders? We need some Gibsons in there.
Of course not. I'm not 5 years old, I don't need little pictures to keep me interested. What a waste of precious screen real estate that krap is. I honestly can't believe anyone uses them. I always assumed they were there for little kiddies and people just starting out so I'd be happier if they just removed them altogether. If you need to keep track of your track contents, why not just use colour-coding? My drums are all shades of pink, bass tracks are blues, sample content is greens, guitars are shades of red, synths are oranges/yellows and audio tracks are greys. They are always arranged in that order, too, from top to bottom.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:50 pm Of course not. I'm not 5 years old, I don't need little pictures to keep me interested. What a waste of precious screen real estate that krap is. I honestly can't believe anyone uses them. I always assumed they were there for little kiddies and people just starting out so I'd be happier if they just removed them altogether.
I was not actually being all that serious. The point was that other than an automation overhaul, some more icons are about all I can think of that Studio One needs. Which is to say: it's not lacking anything else important.

I actually do use the icons, though, but only in the Mixer Channel Overview:

Mixer Channel Overview

The reason is because the contents of this particular window changes to show the currently selected channel, whatever it is. So it's easy to lose track of what channel you're actually looking at. Having a big icon in the bottom left corner makes it a lot easier to sort that out quickly.

Also, I think it's funny that Fender-owned PreSonus only includes Fender shaped guitar and bass icons. How petty! So it's always fun to point that out.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Do you really work like that? With all those cue mixes and effects? How on Earth do you ever get anything done?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That's not my screenshot. It's just an image from the What's New in Studio One 6 page, as a reference so you'd know what I was talking about.

I don't use any cue mixes. I just recently started using the Monitor mix, so I can keep ARC on it instead of my Master Buss.

I do use a lot of mixer Scenes, though. I can't even begin to tell you how they've changed the way I work. One example of how I use them is this: I put the virtual instruments that make up a string ensemble in their own mixer Scene, then they all get bussed to a stereo channel in my main mixer Scene which I set up exactly like an analogue console.

(I actually set up 2 Scenes for virtual consoles: one for "tracking" which feeds another one for "mixing", typically with UAD Neve preamp models and tape emulation on the tracking console, and Brainworx SSL channels on the mixing console.)

So when I'm working in the mixing console, I'm just treating the strings as a stereo tape track. But if I need to work on an individual player, maybe to adjust their position on on the sound stage, or work on their individual performance in MIDI/automation, I can pop over to my ensemble Scene and get into the details there.

You can also choose which tracks you see in the arrange, and that is saved with the Scene. So my ensemble Scene will only show the MIDI tracks and automation for the string parts in the Arranger, and nothing else, and my main mixer Scene won't be cluttered with any of that, since I'm treating it like a stereo recording on tape. This makes it so much cleaner and more manageable when working with large sets of group instruments, and I'm just dealing with it as a stereo audio track instead of a tonne of MIDI parts.
Last edited by jamcat on Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

O Studeo O Studeo, wherefore art thou Studeo?

Deny thy father and refuse thy name, Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, And I'll no longer be a Cubaset.

jamcat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:56 amI do use a lot of mixer Scenes, though. I can't even begin to tell you how they've changed the way I work. One example of how I use them is this: I put the virtual instruments that make up a string ensemble in their own mixer Scene, then they all get bussed to a stereo channel in my main mixer Scene which I set up exactly like an analogue console.

(I actually set up 2 Scenes for virtual consoles: one for "tracking" which feeds another one for "mixing", typically with UAD Neve preamp models and tape emulation on the tracking console, and Brainworx SSL channels on the mixing console.)

So when I'm working in the mixing console, I'm just treating the strings as a stereo tape track. But if I need to work on an individual player, maybe to adjust their position on on the sound stage, or work on their individual performance in MIDI/automation, I can pop over to my ensemble Scene and get into the details there.
I still have no idea how you ever get anything done. The most complex of our songs involves maybe 8-10 mixer channels, total, and that takes forever to get right.

Who said I get anything done? :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”