Is there a DAW that allows you to freeze multiple clips into 1 wav, then explode the wav back into the clips later?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

swivel wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:36 pm
Well, it's implemented in reaper with subprojects so it exists. It could be a little more streamlined, but the basic concept is there and it works.
I read in your opening post to explode a wav file into it's former components.
- this cannot be done

But if you found a close enough solution that is good.

lfm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:36 pm
Well, it's implemented in reaper with subprojects so it exists. It could be a little more streamlined, but the basic concept is there and it works.
- this cannot be done
Subprojects in Reaper does this and you're saying it cannot be done without even explaining why.
It wasn't long ago where some were saying it is "impossible" to extract individual instruments from a mastered stereo file.

lfm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:36 pm
- this cannot be done

But if you found a close enough solution that is good.
Of course, a pure wav file will not have any extra metadata or information describing the former components. What reaper actually does is make a .RRP-PROX file in the project directory, this is actually a wav with different extension. The regular .rrp project file in the same dir contains the former component info.

project1.rrp
project1.RRP-PROX

The key thing is that if you then use this in another project, it is there as a wav, but double-click it and it opens the project components in a new project tab for editing.

swivel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:42 pm
The key thing is that if you then use this in another project, it is there as a wav, but double-click it and it opens the project components in a new project tab for editing.

Hard to imagine a case where I would use that feature.

No way would that be an acceptable workflow to open a sub-project, make a simple edit and then re-render the sub-project just to hear that edit in the main project. That's far too clumsy.

I want self contained projects where I can make changes on the fly.

You can do it with Studio One Track Transform I guess.
Transform to audio, do all your edits copy etc and convert back to midi any time. You can even use a totally new instrument for converting it back.

Then there was a DAW called SAW during the Windows 3.1 days that can record and play 40 tracks audio without glitch.
Any modern computer should be better than that. So wondering why the OP want to 'join' some clips and able to 'disassemble' later.
Regards
maanga

maanga wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:34 am Then there was a DAW called SAW during the Windows 3.1 days that can record and play 40 tracks audio without glitch.
Any modern computer should be better than that. So wondering why the OP want to 'join' some clips and able to 'disassemble' later.
Regards
Watch some of the videos I posted on the 2nd page of comments.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ubprojects

Another way to think of it is as the audio equivalent of Photoshop Smart Objects.

Just to mention, after seeing the original post, you would find McSequencer more convenient, as it adapts the FL Studio pattern workflow (Channel Rack from FL with the necessary number of remote-controlled ReaSamplOmatic5000 instances) instead of using subprojects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z1YepStusI

For a bit more precision, it ingeniously merges the FL Studio pattern-based workflow with the Reaper pooled item workflow...t's definitely worth checking out (at least the video)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”