Amigo Sampler - 8-Bit Amiga Style Sampler Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kraster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:15 pm
Grodada wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:32 am You all tempted me so I bought it, in my files an amiga bank and the sound is powerful, on the other hand do not put the interpolation to have the old school grain. only problem, the release of the envelope does not work while the attack does. not disappointed to have cracked. :tu:
The release envelope only works when gate mode is activated.
Thanks Kraster.
Does anyone have any links to amiga samples?
peace and love for all.

Grodada wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:43 pm Does anyone have any links to amiga samples?
How about 115 disks worth :)

https://archive.org/details/AmigaSTXX

JFC, why doesn't everybody just go learn to code their own crap and quit telling developers what their vision was 'supposed to be' every damn time something new comes out.. The plugin hasn't even been out long enough to get comfortable with it yet and everybody is already bitching on day 1 'WE NEED THIS WE NEED THAT WHY DIDNT YOU DO THIS'.

It was a $10 plugin aimed at old school Amiga Jungle heads. If that aint you, you've got nothing to gripe about. Go buy one of the other hundred samplers out there, including TAL which does your cyclic stretching with DAC emulation at 16bit/44/48/etc..

mothra wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:31 pm It was a $10 plugin aimed at old school Amiga Jungle heads. If that aint you, you've got nothing to gripe about.
Weelll... in that case your commet isn't targeted at me :lol: , anyway, I'd still like to say that I wanted to make my feedback balanced and positive exactly because all the excessive complaining and unnecessary confrontation and entitlement online is kind of a bummer all over the place, eh. Everything seems to be so either/or and on edge, and so on. This sampler is already great. I had three Amigas over here not that long ago still, sadly I have sold / given away all that oldskool gear these days, and this thing is inspiring and a breath of fresh (hah) air : D ... and feels like coming home, in a way. I wanted to write some constructive feedback, as a fellow Amiga/tracker/lofi-sampling head, and a fellow developer. I know exactly where this is coming from, have lived through those times, and I've also experienced what it's like to release software to all kinds of demands right out the gate, so also considered the described feature of choosing stereo channels in all this context. Constructive and respectful discussion and feedback from one head to another is what I was after, not some forum drama.

In any case, the world is a slightly better place already with this plugin in it, peace.

It's just that it is an artistic limitation that is not necessarily "period-correct", and there would be a way to make it more period-correct (even with the addition of the AKAI-style stretching, while still retaining the Amiga feel). But I myself said earlier that it was not a 100% necessary addition, it's a "nice to have" addition that costs literally zero for the devs (it's just a matter of lifting a limit).

mcbpete wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:02 pm
Grodada wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:43 pm Does anyone have any links to amiga samples?

Damn, this site has all the 90s sample CDs. For totally personal non-commercial use, of course :party:

stash98 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:13 pm Not everyone is a jungle producer, which is the target audience here. If you aren’t, that’s cool. It’s a fairly underground genre.
I was a jungle DJ in the 90’s. ;)

ampetrosillo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 pm It's just that it is an artistic limitation that is not necessarily "period-correct", and there would be a way to make it more period-correct (even with the addition of the AKAI-style stretching, while still retaining the Amiga feel). But I myself said earlier that it was not a 100% necessary addition, it's a "nice to have" addition that costs literally zero for the devs (it's just a matter of lifting a limit).
Nowhere does the plugin claim to be an emulation of old school samplers in general.

This is a very specific emulation of a particular chipset's sound.

90s Jungle, Demo scene, tracker stuff.

Amiga sampling always sounded a bit rough with tons of aliasing and quantization noise. That's the point of this plugin.

Once you start adding features you start moving away from the original vision. As has been previously mentioned something like TAL sampler or even TAL DAC is designed to emulate more diverse samplers.

As for the "costs literally zero", the dev already alluded to it having an effect on CPU consumption so it's not like there is no technical cost.

mothra wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:31 pm 'WE NEED THIS WE NEED THAT WHY DIDNT YOU DO THIS'.
I saw a few of people respectfully making minor feature requests.

mcbpete wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:02 pm

thank you , is very cool.
for those who have the original hardware with sound card, does this provide an observable quality of sampling or no difference with a sample that is made mono at an 8 bit resolution?
peace and love for all.

kraster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:22 pm As for the "costs literally zero", the dev already alluded to it having an effect on CPU consumption so it's not like there is no technical cost.
Only if the user chooses to use a stereo file. Also, I think the “costs literally zero” comment refers to effort by dev, since all he would have to do is enter a different number.

kraster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:22 pm
ampetrosillo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 pm It's just that it is an artistic limitation that is not necessarily "period-correct", and there would be a way to make it more period-correct (even with the addition of the AKAI-style stretching, while still retaining the Amiga feel). But I myself said earlier that it was not a 100% necessary addition, it's a "nice to have" addition that costs literally zero for the devs (it's just a matter of lifting a limit).
Nowhere does the plugin claim to be an emulation of old school samplers in general.

This is a very specific emulation of a particular chipset's sound.

90s Jungle, Demo scene, tracker stuff.

Amiga sampling always sounded a bit rough with tons of aliasing and quantization noise. That's the point of this plugin.

Once you start adding features you start moving away from the original vision. As has been previously mentioned something like TAL sampler or even TAL DAC is designed to emulate more diverse samplers.

As for the "costs literally zero", the dev already alluded to it having an effect on CPU consumption so it's not like there is no technical cost.
As said earlier, top of the range Amigas could reach 57kHz, 14bit. So it is not really much beyond the scope of the plugin and it would be a matter of adding a small button. I used to play with Amiga emulators back in the day and you could essentially play with the different chipsets (and also "pimp your machine", so to speak) and it was fair game.

Is there a way to move the orange end-loop marker without moving the yellow start-loop marker?

mcbpete wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:02 pm How about 115 disks worth :)

It sounds like Liam Howlett may have used some of these samples in his early years. "I'll take your brain to another dimension"

Uncle E wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:58 pm It sounds like Liam Howlett may have used some of these samples in his early years. "I'll take your brain to another dimension"
Anyone who used an Amiga for making music would've used those ST-xx disks. Heck probably like 80-90 % of games and demoscene tracks until around '89/'90 used pretty much nothing but ST-01 and ST-02 :D (though I believe Liam used a Roland W30 as his main sampler/sequencer back in the day - not to say the samples weren't taken from there, but it it could be the ST sound sources originated from the same place Liam took his samples from too!)
Last edited by mcbpete on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”