Amigo Sampler - 8-Bit Amiga Style Sampler Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vortifex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:14 pm

Damn, this site has all the 90s sample CDs. For totally personal non-commercial use, of course :party:
Where? Pretty please

mcbpete wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:19 pm Anyone who used an Amiga for making music would've used those ST-xx disks. Heck probably like 80-90 % of games and demoscene tracks until around '89/'90 used pretty much nothing but ST-01 and ST-02 :D (though I believe Liam used a Roland W30 as his main sampler/sequencer back in the day - not to say the samples weren't taken from there, but it it could be the ST sound sources originated from the same place Liam took his samples from too!)
He always seemed like a demoscene/tracker kind of guy. Plus, samples were so hard to come by back then, I bet he got them from anywhere he could find. Probably scoured the BBS's.

ampetrosillo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:43 pm
kraster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:22 pm
ampetrosillo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:05 pm It's just that it is an artistic limitation that is not necessarily "period-correct", and there would be a way to make it more period-correct (even with the addition of the AKAI-style stretching, while still retaining the Amiga feel). But I myself said earlier that it was not a 100% necessary addition, it's a "nice to have" addition that costs literally zero for the devs (it's just a matter of lifting a limit).
Nowhere does the plugin claim to be an emulation of old school samplers in general.

This is a very specific emulation of a particular chipset's sound.

90s Jungle, Demo scene, tracker stuff.

Amiga sampling always sounded a bit rough with tons of aliasing and quantization noise. That's the point of this plugin.

Once you start adding features you start moving away from the original vision. As has been previously mentioned something like TAL sampler or even TAL DAC is designed to emulate more diverse samplers.

As for the "costs literally zero", the dev already alluded to it having an effect on CPU consumption so it's not like there is no technical cost.
As said earlier, top of the range Amigas could reach 57kHz, 14bit. So it is not really much beyond the scope of the plugin and it would be a matter of adding a small button. I used to play with Amiga emulators back in the day and you could essentially play with the different chipsets (and also "pimp your machine", so to speak) and it was fair game.

Amigas weren't known for high bit depth high sample rates. That's not what the aesthetic of this plugin is about. It's all about the grit and the crunch of the lower sample rate/ lower bit depth DMA output

The higher sample rates/bit depth were a very special use case that needed graphics cards or different screen resolution.

Also the filters sat in front of those so it was always going to sound muddy.

That's not the aesthetic here.

I mean what's the point if you're just going to make it sound like any other sampler.

With all due respect to the developers as a sampler it's passable. The USP is the lo-fi nature of it.

kraster wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 pm I mean what's the point if you're just going to make it sound like any other sampler.
It’s quite nice for digging short snippets out of samples. Easier/faster to use for this than Kontakt and TAL Sampler. It reminds me quite a bit of using my Akai S612, which - ta da! - was 4khz to 32khz.

Edited

mcbpete wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:02 pm
Grodada wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:43 pm Does anyone have any links to amiga samples?
How about 115 disks worth :)

https://archive.org/details/AmigaSTXX
i'm probably being extremely stupid, but how do you load these in Amigo?
they don't show up when i click load in Amigo, the Mirage one's do
they don't show up in the DAW browser either
help an idiot out please, cheers :dog:

emef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:17 pm
Grodada wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:43 pm Does anyone have any links to amiga samples?

i'm probably being extremely stupid, but how do you load these in Amigo?
they don't show up when i click load in Amigo, the Mirage one's do
they don't show up in the DAW browser either
help an idiot out please, cheers :dog:
Drag and drop

Vortifex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:36 pm
Drag and drop
i just saw i can load a sound from the ST-XX folder if i open it outside of the DAW and then drag and drop it from there if i make my DAW window small and drag to Amigo like that, is that the best i can hope for or is there a better way?

emef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:09 pm i just saw i can load a sound from the ST-XX folder if i open it outside of the DAW and then drag and drop it from there if i make my DAW window small and drag to Amigo like that, is that the best i can hope for or is there a better way?
It's currently the best you can hope for. Ask developer to fix, then prepare to be attacked for daring to ask for something so outlandish.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 pm
emef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:09 pm i just saw i can load a sound from the ST-XX folder if i open it outside of the DAW and then drag and drop it from there if i make my DAW window small and drag to Amigo like that, is that the best i can hope for or is there a better way?
It's currently the best you can hope for. Ask developer to fix, then prepare to be attacked for daring to ask for something so outlandish.
haha ok cheers :tu:

Lotta bitching and moaning & general self-righteous entitlement over a freaking 13 dollar plugin.

If you've got 13 dollars to throw away I know a good cause you could donate to. Me. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

emef wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:09 pm
Vortifex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:36 pm
Drag and drop
i just saw i can load a sound from the ST-XX folder if i open it outside of the DAW and then drag and drop it from there if i make my DAW window small and drag to Amigo like that, is that the best i can hope for or is there a better way?
I don't remember doing this but it looks like at one point in the past I used a batch renaming tool ( https://www.1-4a.com/rename/ ) to add .iff to the end of all the file names in the collection (Might've done it so I could the samples into Plogue's Chipsounds). Then you can select it with the 'Load' button within the VSTi (failing that just the 'drag and drop' method should provide a more hassle free workaround)

Vortifex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:14 pm

Damn, this site has all the 90s sample CDs. For totally personal non-commercial use, of course :party:

it says
https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/

so it is freely usable?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am it says
https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/

so it is freely usable?
A lot of stuff still under copyright gets uploaded to archive.org.

I wouldn't use what you mentioned as proof to the contrary.
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Instruments”