Aodyo Loom MPE controller

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ao ... controller

Comes in 2- and 3- octave versions. The early bird price looks quite good.

a well designed controller. Thank you for the tip.

Edit:
I just backed the 3-octave version.

I am a long time user of the KMI QuNexus, which has received MPE capabilities in a recent firmware update, although its poly-AT and tilt keys were built for additional expression years before MPE was introduced. I used it and still use it, but it doesn't have a dedicated modulation wheel. One can assign a key to CC1, but the subtle control of the QuNexus keys are not its strength.

Now this Loom controller seems to have exactly what the QuNexus was lacking: sensitive keys for subtle expression, and a dedicated sensor for CC1. Also in MPE synth patches, a general mod wheel is still very important. Especially if you adapt a patch not made for MPE.

I'm kind of torn about whether to get it. I might like it better than the Seaboard Block I already have, or might not... hmm.

It's also an extra 39 euros for shipping to US, that puts in out of the "hey this seems cheap!" category. Hmm.

I bought into the Erae Touch 2, but I feel almost more tempted by this. More along what I actually want.

Edit: 3 octaves backed
Last edited by gaf_thit on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh that looks really interesting. Backed.
I use a Linnstrument as my main keyboard these days. I think this will be a nice alternate, particularly for monosynths.

I guess there is no velocity. I cannot find any information about that.

Look at the drum demo video, it seems there is velocity here

I decided to go ahead and back the 2 octave version. :party:

foosnark wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:07 pm I decided to go ahead and back the 2 octave version. :party:
I'd likely go for the 3 octave one... but since I have the Anyma Omega still on pre-order, not sure I want a second pre-order from the same company when the first is still unfulfilled

ElVincente wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:12 pm Look at the drum demo video, it seems there is velocity here
Look again. They’re just mapping position to velocity.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm
ElVincente wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:12 pm Look at the drum demo video, it seems there is velocity here
Nope, there's definitely impact force
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/dooguMOF1MI

The Loom handle velocity thanks to our patent pending dynamic sensing system.

Great, I backed the two octave.

Looked to me that velocity was changing while the finger was hitting the same exact spot.
From the site:
"Loom features a multidimensional tactile surface, enabling each finger to control pitch (X axis), timbre (Y), and dynamics (Z) independently. In addition, a patent-pending dynamic sensing system analyzes when your fingers land to determine impact force."

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:10 pm
Looked to me that velocity was changing while the finger was hitting the same exact spot.
From the site:
"Loom features a multidimensional tactile surface, enabling each finger to control pitch (X axis), timbre (Y), and dynamics (Z) independently. In addition, a patent-pending dynamic sensing system analyzes when your fingers land to determine impact force."
Sounds more like it’s doing what the Minifreak is doing, than actually sensing impact force.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”