What backup software are you using - need tips?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used Seagate Discwizard and later bought the full verison Acronis True Image.

Too many strange fenomena
- taking over computer and cannot shut down due to some job it created not visible in a queue or anything
- had to run some utility they had to clear job queue
- strange stuff with mixture of differential and full backups not working

Simply not trusting it.

Macrium Reflect
Just found bugs with simple things like retaining differential backups that are counted cross backup sets, not on the current backup set
- this deleted diff backups from previous backup set making it useless
- reported to support but said that no updates on my version, which is not the point
- seems made to only restore full partitions and in a clumpsy way
- thought it would be perfect to move from old daw computer to new, but not useful for that.
- I can make partial restore with explorer but loose creation date of files restored. I used that both on internet computer and daw. Just not practical to loose that information.

Not trustin Reflect either if the sad day comes and needing a restore.
- and their support not looking at bug report since my version was not updated anymore
- relevant reply would be if this was fixed in newer versions

I don't have Seagate discs anymore, so DiscWizard not applicable.

So what is there among trusted brands for backups?

- and having retained creation date on files as restored, please
Thanks.

I trust none of the proprietary ones. I would suggest looking into building a NAS from an old or cheap computer - and regularly backing up your important files to it. You can also have your NAS automatically back up your critical files to a cloud provider of your choice. I really like TreuNAS Scale. $0 other than equipment, if you need to buy any.

Everybody does things differently... I burn programs/samples/libs/resources directly to DVD/CD for safe keeping, OS stuff burn images in triplicate then utilities too for complete OS refurbish nothing like a refreshing reformat... That's it no need for back-up software... Burning to disc is EMP/EMF proof as well nothing else is>>>

Thanks.

I've used xcopy /d /s a lot, and have some bat-files to do those for audio and video disk.
- 2 TB each
- so create a mirror on another disk
Work well, and do to external usb 3 drive.
- but it grows all the time, unless cleaning up files no longer on source drive
- so advantage to use backup software I think that alter full and differential in backup sets

But for OS and all installed software real backup software is convenient, since xcopy cannot reach system files open and be able to make a ghost image of some sort.
- and you cannot restore anything system either with xcopy

And for internet laptop stuff I do backup software too.

Maybe making system image or what it's called with software in Windows to do OS.

Duplicati is worth to check, it supports serveral storage location with data encryprion. Use it since years and restored files...

Or Veam..

I peronally don't use backup software, but use portable SSD (NVMe) and NAS.

In terms of software, I prefer re-installing every single software when I re-install OS. I know it takes time, but wouldn't really trust 3rd party software like Acronis True Image :/

Portable USB3 nvme which holds 1:1 OS image, can be swapped into computer if the nvme in the computer stops working, same size and ~same speed.
Project disk is SATA and is copied via Ice-Deck (2xSata 2xIDE) USB3 to same size SATA.

Project backups also in OneDrive & Dropbox.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Thanks again.

Backup4All, but trying it it did not do os drive at all.
R-Drive Image, estimated 3 min + 6 min on partitions, but took 2 hours.
EaseUS Todo Backup, did the same backup in 50 minutes. Will see how it does differential in a week if that works. But too many nag screens and want you to upgrade on the free version. But said to be able to boot from rescue media.

These tests were all on SSD drive to usb 3 external hdd.

Did a general look at Paragon. Downloaded free version demo and will see.

I just copy files to a second USB HD. I get a new PC about every 10 years, so I don't bother with images etc.

Used to use CDs, then DVDs, still got boxes of those about in the loft.

The whole studio environment here is built around Reflect (Full and incrementals) for all system imaging and SyncBack Pro 11 for user data.

Fully scripted and automated - hasn't failed me yet in just over 10 years of use. (and yes - I test Reflect restores at random each month - cannot remember that last time I had any issues)

VP

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”