Magix - what on earth, what on earth...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:55 pm
Jim Roseberry wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:40 pm When software/IP is sold to a different developer/staff, the new developer often doesn't have the same passion/fire. Once Magix took over, things (IMO) weren't the same.
The relationships I had were gone.
Samplitude was never sold. Magix is still owned and run by the guys who first developed Samplitude and those who first marketed it.
SEK'D sold it to Magix.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ude-studio
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

No, not really - SEKD was the University department where Titus & Tilman first studied and subsequently worked as assistants while developing Samplitude. I don't know what kind of contract/obligation they had with/towards the Uni Dresden regarding publishing and royalties but I assume that's the reason they used the Name SEK'D for a while. However regardless as to what the exact legalities may be, both of them always were and still are to this day part of the same group of 4-5 guys running and owning it all. Tilman Herberger was always and still is the CTO - first Magix and then later Bellevue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellevue_Investments
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I got introduced to Samplitude when Computer Music offered a limited version as a freebie. I installed it, like it, found I was pretty productive with it. When I was reconstituting / upgrading my studio I bought X5 within the window to freely upgrade to X6 and the latter is installed. Truthfully, though, so far I'm mostly working in Tracktion Waveform 12 Free and it meets my modest needs quite well. I do want to get back to playing with Samp, though, because in the past I found it quite comfortable (granting that Samp and Waveform are wildly different in UI, workflow, etc.).

I think the statement about the confusing product portfolio in the linked insolvency article, which is video-oriented, certainly applies to their audio products as well.
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

DaveL60 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:39 pm I do want to get back to playing with Samp, though, because in the past I found it quite comfortable (granting that Samp and Waveform are wildly different in UI, workflow, etc.
While they may look completely different, I would say these two are due to their strong oo-approach quite similar. While Tracktion still has the far better interface (once again, it was dreadful for a while but became a lot better recently), overall Samplitude is the far more mature, advanced and stable product.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

lfm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:16 pm If you truly believe Magix stuff is Magic, use it!!!.
Well I "hear" it as opposed to "believe" it. Anyhow, depending how things go with the buyout and Magix gets their shit together, I'd be willig to invest in Sequoia.
- probably some stock plugin you like better for processing
- biggest influence on ears is loudness or SPL

Mixing and mastering skills will make the bigger difference than daw itself IMO.
I'm intelligent enough to figure that one out. And dumb enough to accept that yes, it just might be the case that many developers' perspectives fail them the possibility that algorithms can affect sound output.

@Everyone: by all means - please DO NOT feed the troll! There really is no point in that at all.

KBSoundSmith wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:32 pm Magix briefly acquired Spectralayers.
I did not know that.
The functionality of that could have been integrated into Sound Forge and sold as a single program rather separate applications.
That would be nice. In fact I'd prefer it all inclusive within the DAW as opposed to separate apps.
So instead of SF and Spectra, have those features within Sequoia.

Jim Roseberry wrote: When software/IP is sold to a different developer/staff, the new developer often doesn't have the same passion/fire. Once Magix took over, things (IMO) weren't the same.
The relationships I had were gone.
Bingo. Hopefully this will change with the buyout.

Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:28 pm
Jim Roseberry wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:40 pm I have Pro X5 Suite... but haven't updated (in large part due to the cost vs. new features).
ditto.
pro x3!
because it does everything i need :D

It didn't do everything I need - but X8 does - it's really schweet - and they keep improving it all the time. For instance there was a most-substantial update last Dezember (including MIDI-comping, per-track ARA and more new features) - no idea why they don't advertize that at all. Basically you need to be a user of X8 to be aware of it.

The DAW has a deep feature set, but much of it is in disrepair. They don't want to update the core features to bring them up to date and fix bugs/glitches. They, instead, bundle third party products to just have users use them instead of the native functions.

This is like buying a house and, instead of fixing the busted bathroom and stove, the owners drag in an outhouse, buy a cheap hot plate and then sell it to you at an even higher price.

Outside of people exaggerating the merits of the Object Editor, there is almost no redeeming quality to their products. Lack of development has allows innumerable competitors to catch up to where they were (and they were ahead of the game at one point) and in some cases even pass them by.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

lotus2035 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:06 pm I'm waiting for them to sell Acid Pro on humble bumble for 20 bucks. Was first DAW I dabbled with way back in the 1900s.
They did ACID Pro 10 not long ago.

It's literally the most unstable DAW that has ever existed, though. I wouldn't trust it with any real work.
Jim Roseberry wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:40 pm
lfm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:24 pm
VOODOO U wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:34 pm
lfm wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:01 pm I also find marketing a bit odd, using strange terms that mean nothing to musicians
- object editing for one, what is it compared to just editing clips?
Isn't "object" the term Magix uses for "clips"?
That is what I think too, why use such an odd term for it?
- I never saw a good explanation for difference
Yes, "Object" is Magix-speak for "Clip".
Keep in mind that Samplitude 2496 had "Object" based editing decades ago.
At that time, it was revolutionary to have so much realtime/non-destructive control over each audio clip.
You could swap L/R channels, flip phase, static gain adjustment, fade in/out (including advanced tapers), apply 3rd-party plugins, etc.
In Samplitude, every object is its own full level of abstraction. It is as important as a Track or Bus. It has its own Channel Strip, Automation, Effects, Sends, etc.

The way you think of Tracks in any other DAW... Objects are treated the exact same way in Samplitude Pro X. This is why the Object-Oriented Editing is a thing there, and a legit marketing point.

Lots of DAWs have Clip FX, etc. but most do not go as far as Samplitude Pro X when it comes to this.

If the DAW was better for production, this would be a legit selling point. But, they have really gong out of their way to niche themselves off to Audio Engineering sub segments. They almost try TOO hard to do this.

Considering how early a lot of its core feature set was implemented, it's actually impressive what the earlier developers did with it. It actually matured quickly and nicely earlier on. Then, it just stagnated. It really should be challenging Cubase, at this point, in terms of being an broad generalist option in the market.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:40 am The DAW has a deep feature set, but much of it is in disrepair. They don't want to update the core features to bring them up to date and fix bugs/glitches. They, instead, bundle third party products to just have users use them instead of the native functions.
That's - as frankly put as it deserves - 100% pure, made up hogwash.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”