Is there a tool that will separate components of a drum loop to use as drum samples??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi. I'm an audio noob and I'm considering purchasing either iZotope Elements or Standard...if it'll do what I hope it does. I want to completely isolate the separate components of a drum loop into sounds that I can use as drum samples. Will iZotope do this? If not, is there a tool that will? Basically, I'm looking for advice on which tool will do this.

Here is the beat [2.2 MB .mp3 file on Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l5lK-k_vzJ-WwIN9s9n2Rnx5ZcRur0Z7/view?usp=drive_link)]. The beat is called "FunkyYeh" from an old Roland XP-60 keyboard. I hear seven different components of the drum kit:
  • Kick Drum
  • Kick Drum (muted)
  • Snare
  • HH Open
  • HH Foot Close (heavy)
  • HH Foot Close (light)
  • Bell
Thanks in advance for your expertise! 8)

izotope is the name of a company that makes audio plugins. they make a bundle of plugins called Elements, but not one called Standard.

none of their products are intended for splitting a drum loop into separate sounds. if you spent a lot of time in the spectral editing portion of their noise reduction software RX, you might be able to do an approximation of that manually, but that's not its purpose. I dont know if the version of RX that's in Elements includes that capability.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Try this one
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ac ... roover-pro

Sorry. I just realized the company no longer exist. It was bought by Facebook (wtf they need that for :x)

Anyway, there was another one very similar to it which I demoed 2 years ago but I can't remember the name. Keep looking in that direction...
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

A sampler with slicing function + some EQing could do the trick already.

ahuman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:36 pm A sampler with slicing function + some EQing could do the trick already.
yup, that's what i'd suggest looking for. HY do a free version of their HY-slicer.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

liquidsound wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:01 pm

Anyway, there was another one very similar to it which I demoed 2 years ago but I can't remember the name. Keep looking in that direction...
Probably thinking of this;

https://fuseaudiolabs.de/#/pages/product?id=300867907

On the FL forum the developers have posted clips of a further extension of the stem splitting functionality, to split down drum tracks into constituent parts, and it sounds pretty good. Still in development, but this type of thing will be coming no doubt.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:46 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:01 pm

Probably thinking of this;

https://fuseaudiolabs.de/#/pages/product?id=300867907

On the FL forum the developers have posted clips of a further extension of the stem splitting functionality, to split down drum tracks into constituent parts, and it sounds pretty good. Still in development, but this type of thing will be coming no doubt.
That's the one! :tu: :clap:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Thanks, everyone, for your help! Very helpful! All of your feedback sets me in the right direction. :clap:

It's worth checking out what your DAW has - some of them can do the drumbeat splitting thing. E.g. I use Cubase and it recently got sampler capabilities to do exactly that, and give you the midi notes/timing...more fiddly than some plugins, but it works. I suspect other DAWs do it also - might be under functions called hit points for audio or something like that. :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”