Is REAPER the current worst long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:59 pm I was chatting with my mate Paul, and he's all into music and stuff. He tells me this story, and honestly, I couldn't believe it. Paul, being the musical genius that he thinks he is, decides he's gonna record his masterpiece using Reaper. Now, don't ask me why it's called Reaper, maybe it's because it kills your hopes and dreams. Who knows?

Anyway, Paul's been working on this song for ages. One day, he's all excited, ready to lay down some sick beats. He hits record, starts playing his guitar, feeling like a rockstar. As Paul's jamming away, suddenly, Reaper glitches out, like, big time. And I'm not talking about a little hiccup here and there, I'm talking full-on meltdown. The screen starts flashing, weird noises coming out of the speakers, the whole shebang.

Poor Paul, he's freaking out. He's trying to save his precious masterpiece, but Reaper's like, "Nah, mate, not today." Next thing you know, the entire project disappears into the digital abyss. It's gone. All that hard work, all those late nights, poof, vanished into thin air.

Now, you'd think that'd be the end of it, right? But oh no, Reaper wasn't done with Paul just yet. As if to add insult to injury, it decides to crash his entire computer. Like, completely. Blue screen of death and everything. Hard drive is toast. Smoke coming out from the computer.

So there's Paul, sitting in front of his now-dead computer, staring at the screen in disbelief. His masterpiece is gone, his computer's toast, and his dreams of music stardom shattered into a million pieces. All thanks to Reaper.

And you know what the worst part is? Paul's still gonna use Reaper. Because apparently, it's all he can afford after having to buy a new PC. Bless him.
It could have been worse if he had paid for it :wink: :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Yes of course reaper is reknown for toasting hard drives and PCs in general. And Macs also, now even getting to fry Linux systems!

Come on...

I wouldn't read too much into it. I've been using Reaper for years. But my mate Paul is always having crazy things happen to him...

https://youtu.be/XqeEaqYRpJc?si=hSH8qY8rvUJuJSJ7

mabian wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm
l33t4e wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:53 pm Well, this whole thread is a troll, so.....
Fair enough :)

- Mario
Somehow you GENIUSES miss the point - that the thread this one mocks is itself a troll.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:59 pm I was chatting with my mate Paul, and he's all into music and stuff. He tells me this story, and honestly, I couldn't believe it. Paul, being the musical genius that he thinks he is, decides he's gonna record his masterpiece using Reaper. Now, don't ask me why it's called Reaper, maybe it's because it kills your hopes and dreams. Who knows?

Anyway, Paul's been working on this song for ages. One day, he's all excited, ready to lay down some sick beats. He hits record, starts playing his guitar, feeling like a rockstar. As Paul's jamming away, suddenly, Reaper glitches out, like, big time. And I'm not talking about a little hiccup here and there, I'm talking full-on meltdown. The screen starts flashing, weird noises coming out of the speakers, the whole shebang.

Poor Paul, he's freaking out. He's trying to save his precious masterpiece, but Reaper's like, "Nah, mate, not today." Next thing you know, the entire project disappears into the digital abyss. It's gone. All that hard work, all those late nights, poof, vanished into thin air.

Now, you'd think that'd be the end of it, right? But oh no, Reaper wasn't done with Paul just yet. As if to add insult to injury, it decides to crash his entire computer. Like, completely. Blue screen of death and everything. Hard drive is toast. Smoke coming out from the computer.

So there's Paul, sitting in front of his now-dead computer, staring at the screen in disbelief. His masterpiece is gone, his computer's toast, and his dreams of music stardom shattered into a million pieces. All thanks to Reaper.

And you know what the worst part is? Paul's still gonna use Reaper. Because apparently, it's all he can afford after having to buy a new PC. Bless him.
Haha, nice story! But what's the point?

You can replace "Reaper" with any other DAW in this heartbreaking story. Whenever
you use an ailing plugin, the DAW may crash. Whenever the hard drive has a defect,
the DAW will crash.

We also use Reaper in the studio, among other things, and we rarely have any crashes
at all.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I'm a Reaper user. It's my favorite DAW. The post is pure satire. As evidenced by the ridiculousness of it and the follow up Philomona Cunk compilation video of crazy stories about her mate Paul. C'mon folks! :)

I would say if you don't like being bombarded with options, long menus and you prefer DAWS with built-in synths and full featured Samplers, and you prefer a DAW with a consistent interface to where about every function works the same accross the userbase, Reaper might be one of the worst.

jlgrimes11 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 pm a DAW with a consistent interface to where about every function works the same accross the userbase
What do you mean?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:59 pm I was chatting with my mate Paul, and he's all into music and stuff. He tells me this story, and honestly, I couldn't believe it. [...]
Which of the two scenarios is more likely, what do you think when you apporach it rationally:

a) the HD starts dying and Reaper can't properly access the files anymore that are currently in use for a loaded project and subesequently it behaves weirdly

b) Reaper all of a sudden and out of nowhere starts behaving weirdly, messing up the loaded project and subsequently killing the HD

?

Tough choice, huh? :-D

Edit:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:26 pm I'm a Reaper user. It's my favorite DAW. The post is pure satire. As evidenced by the ridiculousness of it and the follow up Philomona Cunk compilation video of crazy stories about her mate Paul. C'mon folks! :)
doh - got me. :oops:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

i think at this point reaper should include some of the most popular scripts/themes as part of the base package. there's so many useful scripts that should be normal functions it's kinda silly to make users go do a dance and install a bunch of packages. i say this as someone new to reaper who's not really comfortable with it yet but has found some scripts to be no brainers.

dayjob wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:41 pmi think at this point reaper should include some of the most popular scripts/themes as part of the base package
How about popular customizations and portable installs for common workflows,too?

Everyone constantly complains about how long it takes to customize reaper, but do the Reaper Bros ever provide a choice of readymade customizations???

f**k no. Even though Kenny Gioia told me that he uses eight different portable installs for his different workflows.

Reaper Bros act like the tedium of customizing is a secret initiation that proves your manhood.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

I think it's great . $60 is almost free . Everybody can focus on music and 3rd party plugins effects n instruments . I don't use it but I've made a song in it one time it's not bad .

Michael L wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm
dayjob wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:41 pmi think at this point reaper should include some of the most popular scripts/themes as part of the base package
How about popular customizations and portable installs for common workflows,too?

Everyone constantly complains about how long it takes to customize reaper, but do the Reaper Bros ever provide a choice of readymade customizations???

f**k no. Even though Kenny Gioia told me that he uses eight different portable installs for his different workflows.

Reaper Bros act like the tedium of customizing is a secret initiation that proves your manhood.
Unless you are joking... Impossible... LEGO

liquidsound wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:14 pm

LEGO
Good example!

Reaper Bros can learn a lot from LEGO!

Does LEGO just give you a random box of parts?

Fuk No. You get readymade customizations like Tranquil Garden, Starry Night, Lord of the Rings Rivendell, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Golden Idol.

Imagine, if possible, that reaper had customs for Audio Editing, Midi Composing, Sound Design, various Mixing, or even the Liquidsound Signature Customization!!

New Users (with no visual taste) would find them very helpful!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:31 pm
liquidsound wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:14 pm

LEGO
Good example!

Reaper Bros can learn a lot from LEGO!

Does LEGO just give you a random box of parts?

Fuk No. You get readymade customizations like Tranquil Garden, Starry Night, Lord of the Rings Rivendell, or Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Golden Idol.

Imagine, if possible, that reaper had customs for Audio Editing, Midi Composing, Sound Design, various Mixing, yadayada.
You can already do all of it as it is, and Custom Action or Scripts are for the PERSONAL workflow.
Since no DAW is perfect "AS IS", providing the "Usual Customization" you are going to run into the same dilemma.

If someone is inclined (or ready for it, like it happened to me) to use Reaper and its Paradigm (Crucial), then, you rather shape the DAW to your liking anyway...

Any "Ready-Made" customization would be like opening a new can of worms... (you can see that already with Themes. No matter what, there is always some "If" "Should" "But" "yadayada :hihi:

Like that saying: Pick a side. You can get killed walking in the middle of the road.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”