Any workarounds/ideas how to automate Vst on/off? (in Reason 12)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm asking because I use tons of vst instances in my songs (maxing out a new i7 cpu), and I hate to freeze/bounce (I have commitment issues :wink: )

Now, in Reason 12, you can push an on/off button on the Vst container, and that stops the vst using cpu, but you can't automate that button, because...Reason. I know you can do this in Reaper, you just automate the bypass fx function.

Anyone have ideas or workarounds?
For example, are there any plugin wrappers (perhaps Plugin Guru Unify) that can stop/bypass a Vst so that it stops using CPU, and that function can be automated?

When you Bounce in place in Reason it automatically creates an audio version of the track and disables the plugins and effects on the track you bounced from. I actually love the way it handles this as you don't have to commit in case you need to go back and make changes but it saves a ton of CPU. If you need to go back and make changes simply re-enable the original track and make the necessary changes. All of the settings, original audio or midi, effects, etc are all exactly as they were before you bounced.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

You can absolutely automate the On/Off/Bypass switch on vst effects. Not instruments though. And Bypassing a Combinator doesn't bypass the effects inside for whatever reason.

Thanks to you both, I have tried those approaches, it's just not ideal to bounce, in terms of hard drive space. Even bouncing just 3 instrument tracks at 96khz is nearly half a gig. I could quickly get to 2GB for one song, which for a single file is unwieldy to share and deal with in general. Yes I have a big hd, but why use it up 10x quicker?

And the bypass switch (upper left corner) on the vst and combinator doesn't stop most vsts from using cpu. My original question was regarding the green power button (lower right corner).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”