Mdrummer : find specific sound, no search bar ?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I'd like to use a finger snap sound. In case it does exist in one of the different kits, how could I quickly find such a sound ? There is no search bar in MDrummer, do I really have to try each and every kit ?

robisme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:09 am I'd like to use a finger snap sound. In case it does exist in one of the different kits, how could I quickly find such a sound ? There is no search bar in MDrummer, do I really have to try each and every kit ?
Let's say I load the default drumset. And play the first pattern :

MDrummerSnare2Djembe-01.jpg

I'd like to replace the snare sound with a djembe sound. Djembe is not part of the default drumset. But I do not want the drummer to pack his drums, go home with them, then come back with a drumset that features a djembe.

So I edit the snare and easily find a djembe sound for replacement :

MDrummerSnare2Djembe-02.jpg

That's fair enough. It's creative and spontaneous. With the array of sounds and sound modifications in MDrummer the choice is mind boggling. It's easy to explore new textures in a completely spontaneous way. Without having to send the drummer back home to get a matching new drumset.

But here's the problem. As far as I can see it's impossible to change the name of the instrument seen in patterns. These names are instrument types. It means that when the drumset is born with a snare, the drumset will live all his life with a snare.

Which is a bummer, not being able to actually see the name of the instrument in patterns. This example is a simple pattern. Let's say a complex pattern using many instrument tracks is used and one spontaneously wishes to drift away, step by step, maybe keep the bass drum and cymbals, towards an Indian or trip hop or whatever other type of instruments, the names seen will not correspond. Multiply this creative approach by 50 songs and a year later by looking at the patterns you have no idea whatsoever what is which.

Moreover, since they are instrument types, it's possible to have several instrument tracks all bearing the same name. Then surprise. By modifying one of those instrument, all the others bearing the same type will be modified.

These two snares are actually djembes. Modify one, and the other will be modified.

MDrummerSnare2Djembe-03.jpg

As far as I'm concerned the problem is crystal clear.

So to answer your question, yes you can change an instrument rather easily. There's no need for a search function, really. It's easy to browse the instruments. But there's actually more to it.

See also the thread : "MDrummer 16.11 : Proper way to modify an instrument ?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes, but I would have liked to load the particular set that contains, by default, the specific sound I would have searched.

I have the impression that Mdrummer doesn't care the instruments that are actually loaded when it creates breaks for exemple. That's why I would prefee to keep a drum set the way it is.

Or, can someone explain me how can I have a complete map if beats and breaks correctly generated in the case where my set is only a ride cymbal, a single tom and a finger snap. I mean, when I launch a break, it would have not to expect snares kick or crash and find silence instead, but create breaks with the ride, the tom and the finger only. Is it possible ?

A ride cymbal, a tom and a finger snap only ? As you hinted at previously ? My first approach would be to make all the breaks myself. In that respect MDrummer allows for quite a lot of predictable breaks and patterns within breaks and patterns by using MIDI note velocities.

For instance copy/pasting a pattern into a break at note F at velocity 2. adding to that break just a little few soft toms. Then copying that break at note F velocity 8, and modifying it just a tiny bit. So on so forth for break note F. Not to forget the probability factor for each instrument note in patterns, as well as other parameters like swing. Break note F would be one simple category of cymbal-tom-snap breaks.

Then onward to the break note G category, having their own series of small modifications based on a different basic break. So on so forth with other break notes if needed.

And that's only in using MDrummer channel number 1. There are different channels in which other instruments can be loaded.

The complexity, and moreover the subtleties that this complexity allows, within a certain ease of creation is quite astounding in my opinion.

Sounds interesting, thanks.
I guess I shall not click "generate" after that, at the risk of loosing my work.
But if I have to create each and every breaks, what the engine is giving me, in opposition to simply record my track in the daw with channel 11 mapping ? (or is it channel 10, don't remember, whatever). Will it still add some variation, corrections of my poor pattern, etc ?

I haven't explored the rhythm generation aspect of MDrummer, so I can't really say. Drum machines are on channel 10 usually. What I meant by different channels were the rhythm channels :
MDrummerRhythmChannels.jpg
Rhythm channels can be useful when layering grooves. For instance on channel there can be the main groove and on channel 2 added conga grooves. To be able to deal with them separately is a matter of managing grooves. I haven't used that function much on the other hand, yet.

If you're going to play the drums live using a keyboard or pads then MDrummer will have to be in drum pad mode and will not respond to MIDI notes as triggering patterns and fills. It's a choice.

You can explore without loosing any work by saving the MDrummer configuration. Also, on the right side there, in the Toolbar, are 8 slots, A to H, in which configurations can be saved and recalled. I haven't used it that much, although if it does save everything then you can easily swap and compare various configs. Saving on disk a MDrummer config would also save up to 8 side configurations.

There's a whole lot of flexibility with MDrummer. The only complain I have is about not being able to easily rename instruments in patterns, as I've described previously here and in another thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MeldaProduction”