Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 is NOT fully backwards compatible! FAQ is wrong + PROOF + Support sucks!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UPDATE, now i can confirm Spectrasonics support is some kind of automatic replies or a bot or the one i wrote doesnt give a crap, as he never answers my questions correctly, he still didnt answer how i can adjust the WAVESHAPING settings in Omnisphere 2 when omnisphere 2 has more settings than 1. he said one time to adjust the settings to the same as Omnisphere 1 of the SAME preset :D wtf? they clearly play around with me i guess.

the response after i sent them the original project file of one ot the preset problem which they can open themselves

"Thank for that project file.

What I was hoping to get if possible, would actually be the two different versions of the patch – one from Omnisphere 1, and one from Omnisphere 2.

I can do a side-by-side comparison of the changes that occurred in the interface that are causing the different sounds.

From the videos, the sound is different, however, after our team testing your previous patches, they found that there were modifications made to the patch between the one used for Omnisphere 1 to the one that was opening in Omnisphere 2. Once the patch settings were matched, the sound was the same.

I can test the patches if you have the same one from each version of Omnisphere and try and identify which parameter changes account for the difference.

Thanks,
"

so yeah their support sucks, i bought everything from Spectrasonics but this clearly is a piss poor performance. i get template responses without any logic at all. i sent them the projects the prests of Omnisphere 1 and 2 (i only opened omnisphere 1 on my notebook and omnisphere 2 on my pc with the same project file! unaltered) i send them pics and videos. and they still send me such bullshit and i asked them already these in the whole mails.
1. if they send me automatic premade replies?
2. why they cannot open the project themselves with omnisphere 1 and 2?
3. how my patch can be different when i just re-saved the patches unaltered?
4. how they ignore my 2 videos?
5. how they can ignore my pictures where i made side by side comparisons (their job)?

they said for a 3rd example (not posted here) Omnisphere 2 has different REDUCER settings
Omni1

Omni2

i asked them ok, where can you see the REDUCER settings in Omnisphere 1? :D
no reply on this.
You see that Omni1 has Depth, Mix, OSC and Gain, they are the same (OF COURSE!) in Omni2 . so where is the REDUCER setting in Omni1 ? :D where does he see the REDUCER setting is different when there is none?

you know what this is bullshit!

this is what i mean, the same shit they tell me about GRANULAR Problems, that something is different in the Granular showcase and nothing is different in the settings.
they tell me hey this is an apple and i say, no this is an orange, no this is an apple.

so no i dont expect anything so old and years ago to be 100% fully compatible but as ZVENX pointed out DONT STATE THIS ON YOUR FAQ and DONT say something which isnt true.

FAQ from Spectrasonics
When opening older projects which use sounds from Omnisphere 1, will they load the same?
Absolutely - it is still Omnisphere! Version 2 is fully backwards compatible with version 1 projects.

Will custom saved patches/multis be negatively affected when upgrading to Omnisphere 2?
No. They will open and operate the same as always.

Will third party patches be negatively affected when upgrading to Omnisphere 2?
No. All third-party Omnisphere v1 libraries are fully compatible with Omnisphere 2.

------------------------
Prove me wrong, if i did a mistake or DONT see that there is really a different setting hey im saying sorry but if not i proved this is incorrect what they state and dont show efforts at all. i hit a weak spot and showcased them that i found issues and that Omnisphere 2 IS NOT fully backwards compatible so they seem to try to just piss me off i guess. and for this SUPPORT should be there, saying "hey customer this and that setting is incorrect, adjust it like that" and not telling me a setting which isnt there lol and checking themselves why their plugin is acting incorrectly.

so yeah 3 warnings to everyone:

1. OMNISPHERE 2 is NOT fully backwards compatible - Spectrasonics clearly is incorrect, fake NEWS! lol

2. their support sucks for this case

3. do export STEMS and dont expect point 1. and dont expect help from support.

if somebody says im trolling, check the facts. as a customer i found issues with facts where a company states wrong facts.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I've seen Spectrasonics be wrong about far more absurd stuff than this. To the point where I can't tell if they are lying or believe what they say. I've mentioned it here before but they had a big presentation for v2.5 (I think) where at one point they had in huge letters on the screen "Windows Multi-Touch Compatible". Thing is, it has never been multi-touch compatible. At all. Wasn't then and isn't now. When I asked them they said oh we meant it works on windows multi-touch screens. Yes so does every program on Windows. Omnisphere is not multi-touch compatible.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am I've seen Spectrasonics be wrong about far more absurd stuff than this. To the point where I can't tell if they are lying or believe what they say. I've mentioned it here before but they had a big presentation for v2.5 (I think) where at one point they had in huge letters on the screen "Windows Multi-Touch Compatible". Thing is, it has never been multi-touch compatible. At all. Wasn't then and isn't now. When I asked them they said oh we meant it works on windows multi-touch screens. Yes so does every program on Windows. Omnisphere is not multi-touch compatible.
thanks for this info.

you know i use Omnisphere and their other stuff like Stylus a lot, and i always thought very high of them. but never would have thought they act this ridiculous especially with support, instead of wasting my time many hours they should have said straight something like, sorry it can be that there are problems with some old stuff. i mean sure people move on, and mostly i guess not many on the market (excluding hobbyists) just produce something asap for tv, games, trailers whatever and more on and dont load old projects from 10 years ago. so they dont care and it might be 0.3% people who got issues and never report or make side by side videos and so on.

but what is most disappointing is like i said not replying to my questions and yesterday i exploded after i read the new mail with some nearly TEMPLATE answers, cause the same guy who is answering my case asked me the same shit 1 month ago where i provided him already the EXACT presets saved, unaltered. this was a spit in my face, where i think be honest and say the truth and dont f*ck with me.

so yeah still love the plugins but im well aware that they are also only just a company who give a f*ck.

p.s.
leaving this here for others to read, even if people dont care (then dont click this topic) i dont like the word FANBOY but i love their products so i dont have time to spread wrong facts. sadly like with other companies most people dont care, dont encounter this as they dont have these long experiences or just move on and companies can probably spread bullshit FAQs forever without consequences and care.

2nd p.s.
you know who solved the other 50 issues i had with old patches/projects? myself, i found solutions which i posted in my FAQ, these are solutions which are facts, not even Spectrasonics helped me there and i sent them the solutions, do you think they cared? i told them, strange why did i find these solutions? and told them these are obviously BUGs and/or wrong transitions.

viewtopic.php?p=8606125#p8606125

i also seem to have found some solutions with LEGACY granular problems which are not 100% accurate but come close.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I’ve had excellent experience with Spectrasonics support, but there is a caveat. I spent months with them trying to track down the slow GUI windows thing, and patience was rewarded. There was a bit of luck involved when they finally got a rig that could reproduce the problem, and then a few weeks later it was fixed. They were friendly, engaged and proactive.

This came in the wake of multiple reports of people saying they were stonewalled by support on this same issue. I’d raised it myself once before, the problem did seem to vanish on a new update but quickly it became apparent it was a mirage.

But here’s what else I observe with their support. If they don’t want to talk about something, they go into rote-reply mode, and that’s what’s happening here. I recently asked about the status of Stylus RMX now it is legacy product, and while they replied to say it was still being supported, they stonewalled any further questions about why it had been deprecated. This wasn’t remotely surprising to me as they have obsessive secrecy about new product development. But rather than simply say that (which would have been a perfectly reasonable reply) they just fobbed me off with a rote reply that meant nothing and felt vaguely insulting.

That seems to be what’s happening here. They don’t want to engage with this issue, and actually I think this is not unreasonable from their perspective. As I said before, changing anything to the sound 9 years after a product release would be absurd, and likely cause far more problems than it would fix for other users. But rather than simply say that, they deflect with meaningless verbiage which ignores a legitimate question, and that can feel maddening.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

[/quote]
i dont understand what nonsense you wrote. these are crucial examples, there are many more of my own presets which are loaded very different in Omnisphere 2. imagine you bought soundsets and now theysound different.
stay on topic instead of writing such nonsense thx
[/quote]

If Spectrosonics do not care, do you think someone here would write some code for you?
Not going to happen.

If you can compare version 1 and 2, means you have version 1 and 2.
You can still use version 1 for that sound.

The whole subject appears that you wanted to complain on Spectrosonics that you discovered some change in sound and they do not seem to reasonably agree with you.
The version 2 has seen many updates and new sounds added and it is not fair to expect the revisions must retain some sort of sound of the older versions.

Best Regards.
maanga

maanga wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:21 am
If you can compare version 1 and 2, means you have version 1 and 2.
You can still use version 1 for that sound.
What's amazing is Omnisphere 2 has now been out close to 9 long years, and this issue that they perceive is so important is just now being discovered, which shows everyone just how trivial it really is and certainly not worth the outrage on display

It's now been close to 9 years and many fantastic revisions later. I am glad they didn't stick with 100% backwards compatibility with a plugin that came out WAY back in 2008

IvyBirds wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:39 am
It's now been close to 9 years and many fantastic revisions later. I am glad they didn't stick with 100% backwards compatibility with a plugin that came out WAY back in 2008
I can't wait for the next major version. But when ?

I hope more modulation slot, fm filter, noise as source, fm osc, env attack, decay, release destination, eny LFO must be polyphonic, filter drive etc...

Gam456 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:27 am I can't wait for the next major version. But when ?

I hope more modulation slot, fm filter, noise as source, fm osc, env attack, decay, release destination, eny LFO must be polyphonic, filter drive etc...
I kind of feel like 2.5 would have been version 3 for most companies but Spectrasonics is so awesome with customer service they gave it to everyone for free

My guess is Omnisphere 3.0 will be out in the next year or two. It will of course have more samples and presets. My guess is it will also have all of the things you mention.

Beyond that I can see them doing enhancements to the Wavetable engine and including a lot more Wavetables, and adding a Yamaha DX7 type FM engine where each operator can access the Wavetables, use the VA waves, or use a sample

HALion and Falcon are surpassing them on the feature set on the software side, and Synths like the Waldorf Quantum/Iridium are doing it on the hardware side. I doubt Eric will let that continue

Interesting topic. Sorry you are struggling with V1 vs. V2 patches. If I may point a couple of things out:
1. Spectrasonics has chosen to offer free updates on a regular basis instead of charging customers for these. They've added a lot of features since version 2's introduction that other synth makers would have slapped a new number on and upgrade price for. We'd all be at version 9 now and several hundred dollars poorer if they behaved like some of the others.
2. There are so many third-party patches that inject the very latest genres and styles into Omnisphere. It's as relevant today as it was 9 years ago! I know several Grammy-award-winning artists that are still using it to crank out hits. :)

That said, I have successfully ported over my Omnisphere version 1 patches to version 2. I hope you can figure it out!

All my best,

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hey everyone, Chris from Spectrasonics here! Appreciate all the helpful feedback here with our instruments! We really take concerns like this very seriously and have been working closely on investigating this case with the customer for a long time. We also wanted to share our findings so far with you all here, to hopefully clear up any misconceptions about Omnisphere patch compatibility.

We’re of course always updating Omnisphere with new features and abilities, but maintaining backwards compatibility is incredibly important to us and one of our highest priorities.

It’s always helpful to remember that new features work in the software versions those features were released in and in our subsequent versions…but of course those newer features don’t exist in older versions.

What we discovered in this user’s case was that patches that were saved in newer Omnisphere versions, (using newer synthesis features), sounded different when the user tried loading them in an older Omnisphere version…because of course those newer synthesis features were missing in the older version. We can offer perfect backwards compatibility, but forwards compatibility is not possible (at least until we get that Time Machine workin’!) :-)

To keep it simple, stay up to date. We generally don’t recommend reverting to an older Omnisphere version unless it’s absolutely necessary…otherwise you can end up accidentally running into this kind of forward compatibility situation where you made edits in a newer version and didn’t realize it, etc.

Hope this helps! Always feel free to reach out to us at info@spectrasonics.net (mailto:info@spectrasonics.net) with any issues or concerns with your Spectrasonics instruments, and we’re happy to help! :-)

Wait, that is what was going on?
I thought he opened an older project that he had created with omnisphere 1 and compared it from either a mix or bounce down, then opening the same project with omnipshere 2 and it sounded different to that mix or bounce down and he traced it that it was some of the omnisphere patches he had done then sound different now on reopening this project.

I didn't think he opened it in omnisphere 2 (saved it in that format which would be odd and unnecessary, no?) and then tried to open it in omnisphere 1 and say it sounds different.

rsp
sound sculptist

First, thanks Chris for replying! i came back yesterday from a few days in holidays and saw i got another reply from you guys, which i will immediately read and reply.

Second, after all my discoveries and mails and material i sent you i was really heavily disappointed by the way my case was later handled, i repeatedly showed and shared my projects, my presets, pictures and videos and had asked some questions about Waveshaping etc. which was not answered directly and it was like i talk about apples and got a response about oranges. so understand me that i get a bad feeling.

Third, thanks to the KVR people i found out that you/Spectrasonics state backwards compatiblity without issues, so i was like "ok something has to be wrong and why cant Support point me to that?". i provided and also found out some issues i solved myself and sent these to you.

Fourth, this is not true! my projects are not made in Omnisphere 2 and then tried to open in Omnisphere 1 and be mad about it that it doesnt sound correct. i got project files from 2012 etc. which cannot be made in Omnisphere 2, or am i a time traveller... this is exactly what i mean Chris, do you guys follow my case chronologically or not? i will now for the last time sum up every info, send a chronological order and send a list with the specific issues incl the original project files, unaltered/unedited.
KVR guys are right, i dont expect a plugin to be 100% backwards compatible 1-2 decades but if a company states it and if the results are very different then it is not my statement who made it but the company, here Spectrasonics.

Fifth, I DO LOVE your products, i bought EVERY single product and use these A LOT! i do praise you guys in various topics, but sure you are not 100% without errors, we are humans. i just dont get how the issue is handled with different replies without getting back with specific followups.
i will now lock this topic so i can first work out the reply from you via mail and then update and hopefully correct my findings, if im wrong i will glady say sorry and correct it! i spend hours bugtesting? solving issues and create all support material, i dont do it out of fun.

respect to you guys at Spectrasonics and KVR. before people will reply without knowing the real history i will lock it now and unlock it later until i figured it out with Spectrasonics!

thanks

Return to “Instruments”