Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
Welcome in the "Your first DAW !" thread. :o

So tell me !
What was your first DAW you ever used?
And which other ones did you try or use before you end up with your current setup?

My first one was Syntrillium Cool Edit 2000. Now I'm talking back in the days around the millennium, using Windows XP on my dad's computer.
I haven't done anything spectacular with this back then, but I know some other artists who have influenced me a lot. Seemed later on they were using this software too apparently.

Years later, I got back into music after a break, I recorded my first demo album with Samplitude Music Studio (Magix), aswel on Windows.
It worked well though, with some crashes every now and then... but then the pc crashed with a Windows upgrade, couldn't restore with the official backup dvd's, and I ended up with Linux. (I had a live dvd with Sabayon Linux, couldn't resist, since I love that dessert)
That installed within half an hour and worked surprisingly directly out of the box.

I've been experimenting with different DAW's: Ardour, LMMS, Waveform/Tracktion, Qtractor and many others... never found it 100% my cup of tea. (I've spend testing the same amount of Linux distros in that time)

Now I'm already a couple of years happy using Reaper (under Linux Mint).

I'm curious about your journey :)
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

Turtle Beach Quad Studio... then S.A.W (Software Audio Workshop) which was actually useable.
S.A.W. blew Quad Studio out of the water.

A couple years later, audio recording was added to all the top-tier Sequencers (Logic, Cubase, Cakewalk, etc).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Reason, I think. Back in early 2000s.

No, I didn't pay for it. :neutral:

Although, thinking about it, I think I used Rebirth RB-338 before that.

Propellerhead was a real force back then.

Acid Pro (but I never really considered it a DAW)

Fruity Loops from 2006 to 2018 and Ableton Live ever since. Happy camper.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Southworks, 1996
artie fichelle sounds natural

southworks, 1986, sorry, for my erronous first post
artie fichelle sounds natural

pxtone college and deflemask were the first DAWS I ever used. I was and still am very influenced by video game music and making chiptune was my early introduction to making music as a hobby.

Cool Edit Pro here as well. Does it count as a DAW or is it an audio editor? Anyway, I was trying to save up for an 8-track and was talking about it with some guys on mIRC when one of them just shared an .exe of the program with me. It took all night to download on dial-up.

That guy saved/ruined my life.

My very first was an early version of Cubase SE (SE2, I believe) in the early 2000s, but it was a crash fest, so I switched pretty soon after to Cakewalk Home Studio and upgraded to Sonar soon after that.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

voidhead23 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:11 pm ... and was talking about it with some guys on mIRC when one of them just shared an .exe of the program with me. It took all night to download on dial-up.

That guy saved/ruined my life.
Those were the days. ^^
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

VisionDSP

Music on the Playstation 1.

There's nothing but veterans here!

GarageBand

Cubase 1 on Atari ST 1040 :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”