Your first DAW !

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Started with Rebirth in the late 90s, before using a pirated copy of Fruity Loops from around 2000 to 2002. Switched to Apple using Reason for years. Had a few years away from making music before getting Cubase which I must say frustrates and delights in equal measure.

I mentioned my non-descript music creation program earlier, but having used various sequencers such as those on a Mega ST and Amiga, it was Octamed Sound Studio on the Amiga that I consider the real beginning of my journey into computer-based composing. I did this with both samples and MIDI hardware. I've created threads like this before so I'll just stop here before repeating myself.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Notator on Atari ST courtesy of Dr. Ellard a visionary professor at Mount Allison University who had the foresight to equip our classical music department with a Fostex 8 Track Reel to Reel, Atari ST computer and software. The manuals were printed and hole punched. Updates came in the mail and we’d replace old pages with the new ones. It still seems magical to me.

First sequencer was Performer on a bandmates Mac+, we switched to Opcode Vision for that project, but in the 90's when I decided to get back into using sequencers a copy of Digital Performer was sold to me with an MTP/AV MIDI hub. I guess I lucked out considering what happened to Studio Vision.

I've bounced around a bit over the years, in 2003 purchasing Live, a stint with Logic, but I go back to DP nearly every time. Swiss army knife DAWs appeal to me.

Synapse Audio's Orion Platinum (I think that was v4) was my first DAW, circa 2003.

Around 1993...ish Amiga Soundtracker then Protracker.
Around 1999-2000 Fruity Loops
2017 maybe 2018 Bitwig
2020 Logic
2021 Live
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Notator for my Atari Mega 2 (2 mb of RAM) with a whopping 30mb external hard drive (which was 12" x 12" x 2.5")
Kind Regards:
Eric

BASIC programming language on Lambda 8300, a ZX81 clone in 1983. With this it was possible to make melodies with a sinewave. Many more DAWs and computers following, but this was the first.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Although I was using midi for several years before DAW use, my first DAW was Sonar 2.2 (I believe) in 2003.

My first PC midi Program was Passport Trax in 1996.

Reason and still Reason 22 years later

Reaper in 2009, switched to Live in 2011
dedication to flying

Reason or Fruity Loops, cant remember exactly which was actually first. Reason probably...

Magix music maker on PS2 and GarageBand

Fun how it all became full circle for me. Started with Reason rewired into ProTools years ago. Went through every DAW out there over the years and now back on Reason but this time as my main DAW.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Reason, around 2001.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”