Your first DAW !

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First must have been some PS1 software on a demo disc, wish I could try it again after all this time.

On PC however, Jeskola Buzz was the first music making software I used. But FL Studio 6 was my actual first DAW.

I loved Buzz. Wish some of those plugins would work on todays systems.

Still have to find the name for it. I was 6, so the details are very very foggy. I remember it was MIDI only, on Windows, tracks were arranged with patterns (sorta like older FL studio versions) as grey blocks, the sequencer had clouds for the background. I've already ruled out the usual suspects, and some people suggested it was Evolution One but I can't find any pictures of it online. First one I can remember fully is Ableton Live 6.

I love using Orion and have used it for long time. Still use it as I mainly use vsts rather than audio. However now on Cubase 13 Elements so learning a lot. Started with StereoMaster on an Amiga. Wow time flies.

If memory serves me well: Fruity Loops (3.something I guess), Logic 4(?) on Windows and Cool Edit 2000 (not sure about the correct name), Hammerhead (while not a DAW) for first beats…

gambero wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:08 pm Still have to find the name for it. I was 6, so the details are very very foggy. I remember it was MIDI only, on Windows, tracks were arranged with patterns (sorta like older FL studio versions) as grey blocks, the sequencer had clouds for the background. I've already ruled out the usual suspects, and some people suggested it was Evolution One but I can't find any pictures of it online. First one I can remember fully is Ableton Live 6.
I think I used that. Wasn't it a Cakewalk one? Project 5?

Started on an amiga tracker program but my mate Dan actually did more programming it and I played keyboard into to

First proper one on my own was reason 2.5 and cubase SX

Tried Ableton live 4 in 2003 (NOW WITH MIDI!!) and just never looked back since ,it’s just that good
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Cubase 1, 1990, Atari ST 1040

ozinga wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:01 pm Cubase 1 on Atari ST 1040 :)
Same here. It was the Lite version. I still have the box. :o

Cakewalk Sonar... 3 or 4? Looking at screenshots of it now and memories of randomly clicking on things hoping I would stumble upon how to make sound are flooding back to me.

Demo version of Fruity loops, then used Jeskola Buzz for a while, if we're talking about DAWs.

Before that I used some ejay series programs, like Techno ejay and Dance ejay.

Alas no such thing as advanced as a DAW existed when i first started out, so had no choice but to write an application in BASIC for the Commodore C64 playing pre-defined notes through the internal synthesizer. Though this might not sound that great; home computers in the early 80s included their own synthesiser chips and you could get some amazing sounds by writing subroutines that randomly ripped apart the internal c64 SID synth. To my memory those sounds arent entirely that different from what I make in Pigments now-a -days.

A pirated copy of Fruity Loops for me, don't remember the version but it would have been around 2003-2005~ or so.

I started later in life. I bought my first guitar in 1993. I bought Twelve Tone Systems’ Cakewalk Pro Audio 7 or 8 as my first DAW. That was just prior to the first DX plugins coming out. I also started with Frooty Loops version 2.x. I wanted to make some drum loops—it didn’t yet do much else back then. I eventually moved to Reaper on Windows. And later to Reaper on Linux. My story in a nutshell. :D
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

1988 : Atari 520ST and pro24 , I did not like it
1989 : Amiga 500 with musicX and Protracker : great !
1993 : Amiga 1200 with Protracker : lot of fun
1997 : Windows computer and I tried all the DAW, only Cakewalk was fun but Rebirth stole my heart :love:
2001 : Windows computer, I fell in love with Orion :love: :love: :love:
2007 : Windows computer, I discoved Ableton Live7 but I took 10 years to switch from Orion

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”