Steinberg Cubase vs logic

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It never stopped other topics, so...

Not that I think such topics are exactly helpful. It really depends on yourself whether or not you gel with the one or the other DAW.

I say we have a commitee to vote whether or not this thread should continue.

There can be only two vote options though: Yes vs. no. No fish or other stuff.

Having no fish is offensive to mermaids.

No fish for Logic. Cubase might be neat. Dunno since I don't have a license
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

electro wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:37 am Wow! What year was this?
DrFolder wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:06 am
mothra wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:23 am What magic is Logic lacking that you think Cubase will give you?
I haven't used Logic in years. I gave up Logic because you couldn't send midi out of a AU instrument (for some reason). Has this been fixed?

I can't remember the year. Can I send midi out from say Reaktor and trigger an instrument on another track? Or is it still an annoying work around of sending to a midi loop back driver and back into Logic?

Of course! The Cubase version from 20 years ago could do that.
DrFolder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:50 am Can I send midi out from say Reaktor and trigger an instrument on another track?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 am Of course! The Cubase version from 20 years ago could do that.
DrFolder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:50 am Can I send midi out from say Reaktor and trigger an instrument on another track?
I was meaning Logic.

revvy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:08 pm Cubase is better as it has a dongle and frequent paid-for updates, gives a more hardware-like, professional sound
Dongle's been gone for awhile now. Last two 'paid for' updates were from 11 to 12, and 12 to 13. Almost 2 years between 12 and 13.

mdx4ever wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:01 pm Another thing to consider is cost price…
Logic is $299
Cubase is $899
Logic upgrades over past 10 years cost $0 - zero dollars
Cubase upgrades over past 10 years were $99 every year - that is on top of original purchase price
I let you be the judge… 😉
I bought (and sold) the full version of Cubase twice since it was version 6.5, last full version I had was 12. I never paid a huge amount for it, even for upgrades, there's always some sale on or some deal going somewhere including here on KVR. Not to mention the other cheaper versions like Cubase Artist and Elements. The latter which I've recently bought to try out after a few years of using FL Studio. Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised how full featured Elements 13 is, overall I would say it's a better program than the old flagship Cubase 5. :scared:
I miss variaudio though, but those are included with Artist. Upgrade would cost me around $150 right now but will probably go for cheaper next black friday sales.

DrFolder wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:07 am
electro wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 am Of course! The Cubase version from 20 years ago could do that.
I was meaning Logic.
Reaktor can be added a midi FX in Logic and that can send midi to an instrument. So yes.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Have used both a lot, would take Cubase over Logic but Live over both in the end.
Most bugs ever: Logic 9, in automation, with plugins. It was horrible some days, ok some days. Also the channel eq warped which was the main reason why our logic tunes sounded odd vs. Live tunes. Changed it to Pro-Q and sounded much better (actually redid and compared with one tune, changed only the channel eq to pro-q and it was much much better)

Also the AU plugins seemed to be much worse behaving than VSTs on both Logic and Live back then.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Try Reaper

lotus2035 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:39 pm
mdx4ever wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:01 pm Another thing to consider is cost price…
Logic is $299
Cubase is $899
Logic upgrades over past 10 years cost $0 - zero dollars
Cubase upgrades over past 10 years were $99 every year - that is on top of original purchase price
I let you be the judge… 😉
I bought (and sold) the full version of Cubase twice since it was version 6.5, last full version I had was 12. I never paid a huge amount for it, even for upgrades, there's always some sale on or some deal going somewhere including here on KVR. Not to mention the other cheaper versions like Cubase Artist and Elements. The latter which I've recently bought to try out after a few years of using FL Studio. Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised how full featured Elements 13 is, overall I would say it's a better program than the old flagship Cubase 5. :scared:
I miss variaudio though, but those are included with Artist. Upgrade would cost me around $150 right now but will probably go for cheaper next black friday sales.
Cubase Elements 13 doesn't even support Audio Comping. It also doesn't support Audio Warp Quantize, Audio Alignment and Lacks VariAudio 3 while simultaneously lacking ARA2 Support.

It's actually really hard to live within its feature set if you record audio.

I think Production is fine as long as you don't have to Render in-place or need things like Tempo Detection or MPE/Note Expression Support. They at least added Sidechaining (v11, IIRC) for the EDM newbies :-P

They probably should have kept Beat Designer in as a stock MIDI FX, along with a basic Arpache (though you could just record in your ARPs using a MIDI Controller's FW Arpeggiator - most have that, these days).

-----

If someone has a Mac, I think Logic Pro is a better value than Cubase Artist/Pro. I don't think Cubase Elements is worth wasting money on.

I think Studio One Artist is a better pickup than Cubase Elements at that tier, as well.

It drops the track limitations and adds ARA2, Comping, Step Sequencer (Pattern Editor), Track Freezing, Transient Detection, Groove Extraction, Event FX, Sound Variations, MPE Support, Audio Warp, Studio One Remote App and all their stock virtual instruments.

I could see someone living in Studio One Artist. Cubase Elements is very dubious because the way features are distribute across their product SKUs create odd disparities in the entry SKU.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Feature limitations are an issue with the lower tier Cubase versions. E.g., they also only implemented the new routing options in Cubase 13 in the Pro version. For whatever unfathomable reason.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”