Any system-wide EQs that work with ASIO?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't seem to find any system-wide EQs that work with ASIO driver playback in my DAW. Can anyone please recommend any that are known to have that functionality? Or is this something that doesn't exist?

I'm using FL Studio & Windows 10.
"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

Not any that I know of for ASIO. Most applications of system-wide eq are for speaker correction.

I use Cubase and SoundID Reference for monitor and headphone correction. There is a plug instance of SoundID on the monitor in Cubase, and another one the headphones. Cubase is using ASIO. Windows 11 has a system-wide instance of SoundID Reference installed on the default wave (windows audio) driver for windows applications that use the system default audio. My interface is a MOTU which handles windows and ASIO audio simultaneously.

It was actually a trial version of SoundID that got me looking for a system-wide EQ. I was hoping to find a free alternative, rather than the likes of SoundID, Morphit, Realphones etc.

Found a few that I would have been happy to use, but they all only work in the DAW using the 'Primary Sound Driver' or my Komplete Audio 1 output option. None of them work when I switch to any of the available ASIO outputs, which is my preference because it gives me better CPU performance.

ASIO is designed to take the shortest route from your software to the hardware outputs. Nothing can be inserted without compromising that design (apart from virtual ASIO devices, eg Banananana VoiceMeeaturrr)

You can insert something like this in the analog chain from Line Out of your audio interface to Line In of your monitors:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Equalizer APO. Can also host vsts.

Amazon: why not use an alternative

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
stamp wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:49 am Equalizer APO. Can also host vsts.
That will do nicely! I can only get it configured to work with the FL Studio ASIO driver and not with ASIO4ALL or Komplete ASIO, but it'll do for now, especially for a free solution. Cheers.

Choikdoi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:34 am
stamp wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:49 am Equalizer APO. Can also host vsts.
That will do nicely! I can only get it configured to work with the FL Studio ASIO driver and not with ASIO4ALL or Komplete ASIO, but it'll do for now, especially for a free solution. Cheers.
Works here win11. On top there's a menu where you can select on which output you want it to work.

Edit: I see you don't use your audio interface driver. You should use that if possible to get the best performance.

stamp wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:29 am Works here win11. On top there's a menu where you can select on which output you want it to work.

Edit: I see you don't use your audio interface driver. You should use that if possible to get the best performance.
In the drop-down menu in Equalizer APO I do have my audio interface driver selected. There's no options in that menu that say ASIO, I have to select the ASIO drivers from inside FL Studio's audio option menu. From there it gives me several different types of ASIO drivers (including the ASIO driver for my audio interface), but only the 'FL Studio ASIO' one works with APO.

This is a question I've been pondering for a while but I never tries looking it up. So, the EQ settings you have for system playback won't affect the sound from the DAW, is that what I'm hearing?

Choikdoi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:38 am
stamp wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:29 am Works here win11. On top there's a menu where you can select on which output you want it to work.

In the drop-down menu in Equalizer APO I do have my audio interface driver selected. There's no options in that menu that say ASIO, I have to select the ASIO drivers from inside FL Studio's audio option menu. From there it gives me several different types of ASIO drivers (including the ASIO driver for my audio interface), but only the 'FL Studio ASIO' one works with APO.
Does your audio interface have a dedicated asio driver?

osiris wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:46 pm This is a question I've been pondering for a while but I never tries looking it up. So, the EQ settings you have for system playback won't affect the sound from the DAW, is that what I'm hearing?
If your daw uses the same interface output your system playback uses it will be affected. With Eq APO you can have different settings for different outputs. I was using it on output 1-2 which is linked to the headphone out of my interface so I have an eq on my headphones. Output 3-4 was connected to my monitors as is.

stamp wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 pm Does your audio interface have a dedicated asio driver?
Yep...
Choikdoi wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:38 am

osiris wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:46 pm This is a question I've been pondering for a while but I never tries looking it up. So, the EQ settings you have for system playback won't affect the sound from the DAW, is that what I'm hearing?
In my case, the EQ settings do work during DAW playback, when using non ASIO drivers inside the DAW settings. But, using ASIO drivers makes the EQ bypassed. Although, now it turns out... except with FL Studio's own ASIO driver. :shrug:

I noodled around and found out the EQ is only media player specific. There is a general setting called 'Spatial Sound', but it's not on. I think it's more for gamers and movies, so I'm thinking I should leave it off.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”