Mac related - runModal on openPanel failing on Mx chips, but fine on Intel

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hope all is well, been a while since I was last in these lands :-)

I have a project that needs updating on Mac side to accommodate Mx chips natively, thus far it's been the Intel code Rosetta'd.

This is non-JUCE/iPlug code, from a dated but stable codebase. Have a VST and a standalone simple host that loads the plugin. Has been working as desired.

I now have a macmini with M1, running Ventura/OSX13, XCode 15. Loaded up all the old projects, made the necessary adjustments, recompiled. Once all the obligatory link tomfoolery is passed I have an Intel/Apple .vst and .app. All is well with the world.

There are dialogs for serial number (created on the fly) and locating a sound library (using openPanel). They don't appear to fire.

If I load the VST using a third party host/DAW the dialogs show, whether running Apple or Rosetta. Using our own standalone code - they don't.. They just return that the dialog was cancelled.

There's nothing odd about the invoking code..

Code: Select all

NSOpenPanel* op = [NSOpenPanel openPanel];
    [op setAllowsMultipleSelection:NO];
    [op setCanChooseFiles:NO];
    [op setCanChooseDirectories:YES];
    [op setShowsHiddenFiles:YES];
    [op setShowsResizeIndicator:YES];
    [op setShowsToolbarButton:YES];

const gfl::String& fp = inPath.GetString();
    NSURL* furl = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:(NSString*)fp.GetCFString()];
    [op setDirectoryURL:furl];

if([op runModal] == NSModalResponseOK /*NSFileHandlingPanelOKButton*/)
    {
        NSURL* url = [op URL];
        mFilePath = gfl::FilePath([[url path] UTF8String]);
        return USER_SELECTED;
    }
    return USER_CANCELLED;
Stepping through it goes straight from the runModal line to the USER_CANCELLED.

I'm assuming it must be something changed about how one sets up an application or main form, some attribute or capability, or perhaps how the UI thread is invoked.

I see a few others having runModal issues recently on Apple & StackEx posts, but their solutions seem opaque or just unresolved.

Anyone else had this? Any ideas?

:-)
DSP

I can't remember for sure, but it might have been the case that you can't use runModal anymore, but rather need to use beginSheetModalForWindow:completionHandler: which shows a sheet attached to a window instead.

Something like this: https://github.com/signaldust/dust-tool ... sx.mm#L662

The sheet is still modal, so the completion handler block serves little purpose.. but like what can you do.
Last edited by mystran on Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also... sandboxing and nsurl bookmarks are something fun to look forward to.

How super lovely to see you both <3

Thank you for these. I did look at the latest iPlug in git, but it's such a size I wasn't sure where to look - this is very helpful.

About to turn in for the night and will start coding in the morning. Your kindness is appreciated!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”