Behringer MS-5 Roland SH-5 copy

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

christian f. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:41 amThis is pretty dumb, it might be a nice vintage inspired synth, but it doesn't sound like an SH-5 at all.
Interesting because if you watch the video to the end, you'll hear from a beta-tester who has an SH-5 to compare it to, and she seems to think they sound very alike. So who should I believe, hmmmm?
Why even call it SH-5 ?
They haven't, it's called MS-5 (purely to avoid law suits, I'm sure).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Is it legendary? Don't think so.

Single envelope is a pass here (unless I missed something?)

Sounds nice tho, and looks much better than the original.

kritikon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 pm OK, after watching that vid I'm sold. I didn't realize how much deeper those SH synths were than Junos etc. Ringmod, sync, 2 LFOs + envs, full selection of filter types. And with that lovely Roland rubbery character.
I thought it sounded great from the quick listen I had. Perhaps slightly modernish (need to listen more closely), but had a great tone and yes that Roland rubbery/squelchyness.

BONES wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:29 am
christian f. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:41 amThis is pretty dumb, it might be a nice vintage inspired synth, but it doesn't sound like an SH-5 at all.
Interesting because if you watch the video to the end, you'll hear from a beta-tester who has an SH-5 to compare it to, and she seems to think they sound very alike. So who should I believe, hmmmm?
Def the person that got a free copy :wink:

seafire wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:14 am Is it legendary? Don't think so.

It's one of the most sought after Roland synths. There weren't very many and it has great tone.

If you look it up you'll find quite a few well known sh5 owners.

It's legendary amongst synth purists and it has 1 adsr and 1 ar , which is not ideal, but the sound of the oscillators and filters and the way you can route everything make up for that.
Last edited by christian f. on Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

christian f. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:41 am
I'd say go for the "beta testing" barbie girl with the barbified studio setup of course.
I think it sounds really good.

A bit shallow to discount an opinion because a person looks after their studio and has styled it to their taste.

Does an opinion count more if there's a cluttered desk, dust on everything and and over flowing ashtray?

This would sound really good if it were a PolySource.

christian f. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 am

It's legendary amongst synth purists...
That's what I mean, it's not among the ones I know....hey ho.

Still waiting for the 101mk2 here

MC-202’s have been selling for under $700 lately. Not to mention Model 82.

seafire wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:12 am
christian f. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:11 am

It's legendary amongst synth purists...
That's what I mean, it's not among the ones I know....hey ho.

Still waiting for the 101mk2 here
Mass produced is not the same as legendary... :hihi:

Equally, limited production also isn't necessarily legendary either.

The marketing video?

I mean, that 50 year old in Barbie outfit surely seems perfectly credible...

2 Envelopes according to their main page:
Analog Synthesizer with 37 Full-Size Keys, 2 VCOs, Multi-Mode VCF, VCA, 2 LFOs, 2 Envelopes and Ring Modulator
https://www.behringer.com/product?modelCode=0722-AAR
<List your stupid gear here>

Yeah, one of the few Roland synths with 2 envelopes. :lol:

:lol:

They're overcompensating now, putting 3 envelopes in System-1, System-8, and JD-XA. Which, btw, is awesome.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”