Behringer MS-5 Roland SH-5 copy

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Envelopes are trash unless they are snappy.
<List your stupid gear here>

True. :)

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:41 amI mean, that 50 year old in Barbie outfit surely seems perfectly credible...
Far moreso than you ever have, that's for sure.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:23 am Why does it matter if it's on the back? On the front is way more accessible (especially with 2600 being geared towards rack mounting, trimpots on the back would be pretty retarded)! At any rate, 2600 has the trimpots exposed. And where else would trimpots be but on a PCB? :lol:

Easy now with ad hominems, we didn't even get the party started.
OK, if I pull off the rubber(?) protective things on my 2600 I can see a thing down there, but I don't think it would be as easy to adjust as the MS-5. I would need a tool to get down there... The point is Behringer are doing a better job designing synthesizers for long-term use.
The thing that I liked the most about the Introduction video is the sound. It sounds proper old-school industrial to me, like it could really be from the 1970's.
I'm sure it doesn't sound identical to an original SH-5, but I never wanted an SH-5.

_leras wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:58 am
seafire wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:14 am Is it legendary? Don't think so.

Sounds nice tho, and looks much better than the original.
It's one of the most sought after Roland synths. There weren't very many and it has great tone.

If you look it up you'll find quite a few well known sh5 owners.
I saw one on Reverb for only $3,333.00 yesterday - the catch is you have to pick it up.
Gotta love that greenish paint.

This whole thread has been a mistake!
It's the SH-7 that I am so keen on :
https://youtu.be/RjKOazsT5l0?si=I_vH8KYywwFusF6U
:lol: I am no expert on 1970's synthesizers.

So, Behringer, when you gonna make a copy of the RARE Roland SH-7 :?:

Wow, the MS-5 sounds great and it’s under $600?! I doubt they’ll ever release a module version, but that would be very tempting.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

egbert101 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:29 pm
seafire wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:14 am Is it legendary? Don't think so.

Single envelope is a pass here (unless I missed something?)

Sounds nice tho, and looks much better than the original.
2 Envelopes according to their main page:
Analog Synthesizer with 37 Full-Size Keys, 2 VCOs, Multi-Mode VCF, VCA, 2 LFOs, 2 Envelopes and Ring Modulator
https://www.behringer.com/product?modelCode=0722-AAR
Indeed, but I don't consider A/R a useful envelope. The could have easily made it a full ADSR.

Constructed Identity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:57 am The thing that I liked the most about the Introduction video is the sound. It sounds proper old-school industrial to me, like it could really be from the 1970's.
I'm sure it doesn't sound identical to an original SH-5, but I never wanted an SH-5.
I think it's a bit less creamy than the sounds from SH5 videos, but I still think it sounds great!

I always thought an SH5 would be nice, but it's never been justifiable even as an option, as they're very rare and very expensive.

It does have the Roland rubberyness which no other manufacturers seems to have captured.. so even if it's not exactly an SH5 I think it is a characterful synth. I'm keen to hear more as one demo never tells the whole story.

I still wish Roland had decided to keep making analogue synths, I think we'd have had some amazing instruments over the past decade with the synth revival that's happening.

I think I lean to the side of thinking it's good someone is making these physical emulations of these unobtainable synths, where we don't even really have emulations. Clones of current available synths... Not so great.

Constructed Identity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:11 am This whole thread has been a mistake!

That doesn't stop the SH5 sounding great.

_leras wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:42 am
Constructed Identity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:11 am This whole thread has been a mistake!

That doesn't stop the SH5 sounding great.
Yes, I may get one if I can figure out where to place it, I have to get a keyboard mixer first.

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:41 am
BONES wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:29 am
christian f. wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:41 amThis is pretty dumb, it might be a nice vintage inspired synth, but it doesn't sound like an SH-5 at all.
Interesting because if you watch the video to the end, you'll hear from a beta-tester who has an SH-5 to compare it to, and she seems to think they sound very alike. So who should I believe, hmmmm?
The marketing video?

I mean, that 50 year old in Barbie outfit surely seems perfectly credible...
huh? barbie is over 50 too.
but how does someone's image, detract from credibility?
not all synthesists are beardy blokes in polo shirts :shrug:

and 50 is the new 21 btw (since i was 50 last month :P )

Baby

Even if the second envelope is only AR...things like MS20s make some pretty powerful noise with 'only' AR envelopes. 2 LFOs + 2 envs is pretty powerful comparing to many of the now legendary analogues that created history. Just saying....

Absolutely. And, if Behringer had replaced the second AR envelope with an ADSR, people would complain that it's not a true remake. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”