[HELP] Patchwork External Sidechain Routing - Da Vinci Resolve Fairlight

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchWork

Hey there, I'm trying to add external sidechaining in Da Vinci Resolve utilizing Bluecat Patchwork.

My goal is to run plugins inside of one instance of Patchwork with Pro-Q 3 inside it on Track A and have that plugin's output go into a sidechain of another instance of Patchwork into Pro-Q 3 on Track B.

I'm not sure if this is possible and I tried reading the manual - no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for making great software!

This is indeed possible using PatchWork together with the Connector plug-in. It is a good way to overcome the limitations of DAWs that do not have side chain routing capabilities.

A detailed tutorial about this topic is in the works, but here is the outline:
  • On the source track, place the Connector plug-in after the Pro Q plug-in in PatchWork, and set it up as a sender, in "app" mode.
  • On the destination track B, force PatchWork I/O to stereo side chain (4 in / 2 out), using the I/O menu button in the main presets LCD area at the top of the plug-in. It should now be ready to do side chain routing internally.
  • Check that the destination plug-in in Patchwork has 4 ins and 2 outs (click on the slot and select "Audio I/O"). If not, switch audio I/O to manual and select 4 ins and 2 outs. The plug-in is now ready to receive the side chain signal.
  • Right before the destination plug-in, insert the Connector plug-in and set it up as a Receiver in App mode (same port number as the sender). It should be receiving the signal from Track A.
  • Now click on the receiver Connector plug-in and select Audio I/O. Choose manual, with 2 ins and 2 outs, and select channel 3 and 4 for both input and output. The Connector plug-in is now feeding the side chain channels.
And here you go, you should now have a side chain running between Track A and B, feeding the destination plug-in on Track B with the output of the source plug-in on Track A.

I hope this helps.

Y'all are amazing. This was super concise and worked perfectly. Thank you!

Just want to clarify for future users that for step 3 it should be 4 ins and 2 outs (or at least that's what worked for me)

edeneye wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:49 pm Y'all are amazing. This was super concise and worked perfectly. Thank you!

Just want to clarify for future users that for step 3 it should be 4 ins and 2 outs (or at least that's what worked for me)
Oh indeed, my bad! Typo fixed!!

BTW it looks like someone already did a video tutorial on this topic! :party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lai0dgQVvU

For reference, here is a link to the blog post about this topic:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... patchwork/

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”