What's More Important To You? The DAW, The Computer Or The Composer?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

What's More Important ? The DAW, The Computer Or The Composer?

The DAW
20%
The Computer
13%
The Composer
67%

Total votes: 46

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a different angle to the thread topic to follow up on the composer aspect.

Would the influence that your favourite artist who uses a certain DAW focus your attention on the DAW of choice for you? For example Hanz Zimmer famously uses Cubase, other artists use Abelton ect.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

no, he/they use tape, im not so masochistic.

Certainly the clip launch aspect. If someone's favorite artist utilizes it for their arrangements, it makes sense to limit DAW preference to the ones that offer it. The modular aspects of Bitwig and Reason also stand out, as does Ableton's MAX integration.

Beyond those things, though, it's pretty much personal preference. No other crucial feature is coming to mind that makes any DAW fundamentally better than the others.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:39 am Adele is bad at covers and that's not an insult.
Didn't know she had covered the Cure, so looked it up....it's truly awful.

KVR is such a sad place. :razz:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Crumby pop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

All 3 of them equally important. Because I know in my heart of hearts that if Rimsky-Korsakov were composing today, he'd be a FruityLoopman on Windows. Flight of the Bumblebee just has to be the epitome of the type of music done on a step sequencer if only the poor bastard had one. And it would be better with 160bpm Amen break under it...difficult to do in Bitwig. And being mainstream Russian, I doubt he could afford a Mac. Or Cubase.

kritikon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:07 pm And being mainstream Russian, I doubt he could afford a Mac. Or Cubase.
Yes...but he could have a Lada :hihi:
No auto tune...

#4: A.I.
For Trade: UAD Galaxy Tape Echo redeem code. DM me with trade offer.

Maybe with Adele’s co-writing it’s a bit like the Beatles, with Lennon writing the lyrics and McCartney the music.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:57 pm Here's a different angle to the thread topic to follow up on the composer aspect.

Would the influence that your favourite artist who uses a certain DAW focus your attention on the DAW of choice for you? For example Hanz Zimmer famously uses Cubase, other artists use Abelton ect.
Probably not or everyone would be on Pro Tools.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:32 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:57 pm Here's a different angle to the thread topic to follow up on the composer aspect.

Probably not or everyone would be on Pro Tools.
On Pro Tools in combination with Logic.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I can't afford a Pacamara
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

revvy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:16 am Maybe with Adele’s co-writing it’s a bit like the Beatles, with Lennon writing the lyrics and McCartney the music.
Without us being there at the sessions, it's imposible to tell for us.

But chances are she comes up with at least some basic chord structure and a rough version of at least a good chunk of her vocal-line... but even if someone else initiates the musical structure/basic idea: good singers will always tell you what chord should be replaced with which other one... i.e. if someone else provided a chord-structure to begin with, chances are the chords will end up being partly different when the song is finished - and the vocal-melodies are in all likelyhood at least almost - if not completely - hers, which is why it doesn't really matter so much who she collaborates with.
Regardless of what stone or wood a good sculptor starts to work with, the sculpture they end up with will look like one of their sculptures.
Last edited by jens on Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 am I can't afford a Pacamara
Lol... do you mean a Capybara by any chance? :-)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”