What's More Important To You? The DAW, The Computer Or The Composer?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

What's More Important ? The DAW, The Computer Or The Composer?

The DAW
20%
The Computer
13%
The Composer
67%

Total votes: 46

RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:30 am
revvy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:16 am Maybe with Adele’s co-writing it’s a bit like the Beatles, with Lennon writing the lyrics and McCartney the music.
Without us being there at the sessions, it's imposible to tell for us.

But chances are she comes up with at least some basic chord structure and a rough version of at least a good chunk of her vocal-line... but even if someone else initiates the musical structure/basic idea: good singers will always tell you what chord should be replaced with which other one... i.e. if someone else provided a chord-structure to begin with, chances are the chords will end up being partly different when the song is finished - and the vocal-melodies are in all likelyhood at least almost - if not completely - hers, which is why it doesn't really matter so much who she collaborates with.
Regardless of what stone or wood a good sculptor starts to work with, the sculpture they end up with will look like one of their sculptures.
To be clear, my post was a joke.

At least for their final album, the writing and recording process was pretty well documented in the mega Peter Jackson documentary. I’m not a Beatles fan but it made for great TV IMO.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

jens wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:30 am good singers will always tell you what chord should be replaced with which other one...
When working with other singers, what I tended to then do was to use my original chords for some instrumental-section, an interlude or so - that way you might get some nice variation which might make the song appear less static/repetitive and yet it's not a part that is completely different/hasn't got really much to do with the rest of the song i.e. you kind of entangle instrumental and vocals bits with each other in a way that can give the song a nice flow - and I bet I am absolutely not alone with that at all.
Last edited by jens on Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

revvy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:38 am To be clear, my post was a joke.

At least for their final album, the writing and recording process was pretty well documented in the mega Peter Jackson documentary. I’m not a Beatles fan but it made for great TV IMO.
Ah, I see - tbh I'm really not big on the Beatles at all either. :oops: My oldest son keeps asking me what all the fuss is about in regards to them and I can't really give him a proper answer to that.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:31 am
Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 am I can't afford a Pacamara
Lol... do you mean a Capybara by any chance? :-)
I'm sure the new version is called a Pacamara..??

Edit: these are the ones they sell at the moment - I wouldn't know where to start! PD is tricky enough...
https://secure.symbolicsound.com/kyma/order
Last edited by Bunny_boy on Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:46 am
jens wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:31 am
Bunny_boy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 am I can't afford a Pacamara
Lol... do you mean a Capybara by any chance? :-)
I'm sure the new version is called a Pacamara..??
:dog: You're right - my bad - I had no idea! :oops:

Oh jinx!

This was music of my teenage years, somewhere between the age of 15 and 16. I actually had video of them when I recored MTV on my brothers SKY TV and used it as inspiration for a while when I had my Mega ST computer and trying to create music with traditional notation.

A bit mad , sure. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS1dAovhXOc
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

jens wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:58 pm I tried to cover Love Song myself once but completely failed (so I gave up quickly) - Robert's phrasing is just so peculiar and idiosyncratic that it's nigh impossible to nail it if you don't really feel it like that... but Adele managed to solve that obstacle by replacing Robert's with her own unique phrasing.

Now I want to have another go at it.
Nah... it's actually the bassline - it's so dominant that it basically dictates the phrasing of everything else... and it's so iconic that I don't dare to leave it away - which she/they/him (Rick Rubin) did for Adele's cover... it was all good as long as it was just me and my guitar (the piano would of course work just as well) but then... :cry:
- I want to make it a bit less stiff/rigid but the bassline says no... :help:

They did such an amazing job with her cover!

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:04 pm This was music of my teenage years, somewhere between the age of 15 and 16. I actually had video of them when I recored MTV on my brothers SKY TV and used it as inspiration for a while when I had my Mega ST computer and trying to create music with traditional notation.

:scared:
that's a bit in yer face for me.

We have AI. What do we need composers for? :hihi:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:57 pmWould the influence that your favourite artist who uses a certain DAW focus your attention on the DAW of choice for you? For example Hanz Zimmer famously uses Cubase, other artists use Abelton ect.
No, why would you give a shit what anyone else is using?
Uncle E wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pmCertainly the clip launch aspect. If someone's favorite artist utilizes it for their arrangements, it makes sense to limit DAW preference to the ones that offer it.
Why? Unless you actually want to be your favourite artist, why would you assume that you will like the same workflows they do? I don't see that it follows.
The modular aspects of Bitwig and Reason also stand out, as does Ableton's MAX integration.
Again, maybe you have no interest in those things, so why choose that DAW just because some other fucktard uses it.

Is this why influencers are a thing? Because that's a phenomenon I have never understood.
jens wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 pmKVR is such a sad place. :razz:
The entire world is an unbelievably sad place. I gotta say, though, I find it very strange that you would give a shit that I don't hold Adele in the same esteem you do, to the point that you feel the need to defend her like that. So yes, that kind of behaviour does tend to make this a sad place, too.
seafire wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:12 pmDidn't know she had covered the Cure, so looked it up....it's truly awful.
Yeah, it could be any singer in the back corner of the local pub on a Friday night, murdering your favourite songs. This version is way better -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4AziU60MOA
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:57 am
Uncle E wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pmCertainly the clip launch aspect. If someone's favorite artist utilizes it for their arrangements, it makes sense to limit DAW preference to the ones that offer it.
Why? Unless you actually want to be your favourite artist, why would you assume that you will like the same workflows they do? I don't see that it follows.
Yes, you're right. I guess I was thinking from a beginner's perspective but that's still no guarantee of it working out.
That's great! What a great band! We're going to Quebec this summer, maybe I'll try to see them.

I don't think he does live shows any more, now that it's only him. I discovered them a few years ago and I really like his stuff. Echoes, the album of covers this is off, is just superb.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:21 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:04 pm This was music of my teenage years, somewhere between the age of 15 and 16. I actually had video of them when I recored MTV on my brothers SKY TV and used it as inspiration for a while when I had my Mega ST computer and trying to create music with traditional notation.

https://youtu.be/ykIA2ddd8Bo?feature=shared

Bunny_boy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:50 am
vurt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:21 pm

https://youtu.be/ykIA2ddd8Bo?feature=shared
that's more like it!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”