Behringer designs

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

D2sX9ek8w3 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:48 pm
I don't get it

Frankly, I don't get how someone could confuse the two. 'Vintage' does indeed look like its GUI was inspired by Saurus, but the layout is entirely different, and it even has big text on the fake back saying 'behringer'... (and it says 'behringer' above the mod wheel and pitch wheel on the front as well)
quod tu es, ego fui, quod ego sum, tu eris

I don't know about the sound as it's not available for download anymore, so we'll have to see if it's actually low quality or not. Tons of people tend to judge a plugin just by its brand name, or letting the brand name shape the sound they hear and not like it anymore (e.g. the infamous behringer ada8000 thread on gearspace).
Regarding the UI, i think they could get away with it in hardware since most synth manufacturers' style relies on common and easily sourceable knobs, sliders and whatnot (fonts too). In a plugin, someone had to purposefully draw the knobs almost exactly like they are on Taurus 2. I fail to see the reason why, but to me it looks much more deliberate.

seafire wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 pm
Tone2 Synthesizers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm
seafire wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:32 pm It's not a clone, so pointless clickbait thread.
Pointless troll post
If anything you said was true, you would already have a lawyer on the case, and wouldn't be spouting of in public...but you haven't, so that speaks volumes.
You don't seem to have any idea what it means to go to court and how expensive it can be.

Kraku wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:57 am
seafire wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 pm
Tone2 Synthesizers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:49 pm
seafire wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:32 pm It's not a clone, so pointless clickbait thread.
Pointless troll post
If anything you said was true, you would already have a lawyer on the case, and wouldn't be spouting of in public...but you haven't, so that speaks volumes.
You don't seem to have any idea what it means to go to court and how expensive it can be.
You don't seem to have any idea how a simple legal email/letter is often enough for a person/company to C&D.

seafire wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:08 am You don't seem to have any idea how a simple legal email/letter is often enough for a person/company to C&D.
Rarely from small company to a huge one.

Is UI design somehow covered legally? I have read some barfs about lawsuits being made, but if it is not a direct copy, then I don't see any problem.

kerfuffle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:14 pm Legally, the issue is whether these similarities confuse and mislead customers, which according to the OP it does:
Confuse and mislead into thinking it is the same product?

It would be interesting to know how the OP perceived the pricing between their product and the other.

camsr wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 am
kerfuffle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:14 pm Legally, the issue is whether these similarities confuse and mislead customers, which according to the OP it does:
Confuse and mislead into thinking it is the same product?
I don't think anyone will look at these two pictures and think it's the same product. However, it is easy to think this Behringer synth is a Tone2 product (and the OP has evidence for this since people have contacted them asking this exact question).

So the misleading here is about who made the product. This is what "trade dress" laws describe. Behringer could be accused of trying to take advantage of Tone2's reputation in the market, and thereby lowering the value of Tone2's own products.
My audio programming blog: https://audiodev.blog

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”