MCCGenerator - multiple modulators on one CC?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got the MFreeFXBundle so I can use MCCGenerator.

My use case: I'm using Reaper and Reaper only allows one modulator per parameter (via "parameter link"). My thought was that with MCCGenerator I can link the first knob (i.e. CC1), to a parameter in a plugin in reaper (let's say my filter cutoff on a synth) and then assign multiple modulators to that CC1 knob.

I see within the modulators, in envelope, pitch and follower mode there is an LFO amount knob, so I can add env+LFO, pitch+LFO, or follower+LFO.

But how do I add envelope+pitch? or 2 different LFO's of diff speeds and shapes? or LFO+Velocity (in the MIDI section, there is the ability to assign velocity, but once I add a modulator to the same CC1 knob, the modulator takes over and velocity isn't mapped)?

If it can't be done, I'm very disappointed as I would've thought this would be one of the major points of the plugin.

You can use one Modulator to modulate the parameters of the second Modulator (which targets the CC1 knob).

Or you can use other MIDI CC messages or notes (click [MIDI] in the right-hand Toolbar for the editing window) to modulate that second Modulator.

It looks like a Modulator can modulate its own parameters (or, at least, select them) , but I have not been brave / foolish enough to try that. :scared: Proceed at your own risk.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:50 am You can use one Modulator to modulate the parameters of the second Modulator (which targets the CC1 knob).

Or you can use other MIDI CC messages or notes (click [MIDI] in the right-hand Toolbar for the editing window) to modulate that second Modulator.

It looks like a Modulator can modulate its own parameters (or, at least, select them) , but I have not been brave / foolish enough to try that. :scared: Proceed at your own risk.
thanks, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'm not wrapping my head around it :?

So what I did was:

- I mapped CC1 to my filter cutoff on a 3rd party synth.
- I made an envelope modulator for modulator 1 and assigned it to CC1. So far so good, the envelope works.
- I added an lfo modulator for modulator 2 , and in the parameters list I chose "Modulators - Mod 1 - automated value"

It didn't work.

I was able to use an envelope to modulate my LFO frequency, but when I try automate "automated value", it doesn't do anything.

The MIDI button in the bottom right corner is your friend. ;-)

The modulators 1-8 interfere with each other. So this won't work, as you already found out.

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:59 pm The MIDI button in the bottom right corner is your friend. ;-)
can you elaborate please? dunno what to do in the midi section
elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:59 pm The modulators 1-8 interfere with each other. So this won't work, as you already found out.
that's ridiculouus that they don't stack. i dont see the point of making this plugin without allowing that. you 100% sure there's no solution?

Digitt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:07 pm
elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:59 pm The MIDI button in the bottom right corner is your friend. ;-)
First of all: this demonstrates how MCC can direct more than one source to the same CC.

This is indeed not trivial because Vojtech made it too complicated and at the same time uses confusing naming of buttons/sections. This is how the MIDI section looks like to achieve the result in the GIF above (forget the grey lines ... one can't simply delete them, just deactivate). Two different MIDI CCs (7 and 66) control a single parameter (CC1 in MCC):

Anyway, you see it is possible but not intuitive at all. Vojtech is a mathematician, you know. :wink:

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:30 pm
Digitt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:07 pm
First of all: this demonstrates how MCC can direct more than one source to the same CC.

This is indeed not trivial because Vojtech made it too complicated and at the same time uses confusing naming of buttons/sections. This is how the MIDI section looks like to achieve the result in the GIF above (forget the grey lines ... one can't simply delete them, just deactivate). Two different MIDI CCs (7 and 66) control a single parameter (CC1 in MCC):

Anyway, you see it is possible but not intuitive at all. Vojtech is a mathematician, you know. :wink:
wow thank you! i will try it later and let you know if it works in practice

yes i agree it is confusing. melda is known for not being the most intuitive interface. i can see alot of powerful stuff but just not done in an intuitive way. that being said, this could still work, especially if i save as a preset and have the complicated stuff set up. thanks so much. good to know its POSSIBLE :) i will try it later tho to be sure.

Melda's mod system is incredibly deep. You won't find anything like this elsewhere.

The downside is the learning curve.

But once you have an idea of it you'll see that it is unbeaten.

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:42 pm Melda's mod system is incredibly deep. You won't find anything like this elsewhere.

The downside is the learning curve.

But once you have an idea of it you'll see that it is unbeaten.
thank you. well this is what i am looking for, something deep where i can rely on only this and have all my modulation needs met. i have gone through the manual but it didnt seem too extensive. any other resources you can point me to?

Melda doesn't excel at manual writing, so to speak. Further resources other than this forum ... no clue.

Oh, btw, pushing the "Reset" button in the MIDI sub window deletes the entry. One of those not-too-ideal names we find in MCC.

This video explains how you can combine modulators. It uses MSoundFactory, but the beautiful thing about Melda plugins is that the basic concepts work across all plugins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUUCniJUgxo

Here are some general introductions to the modulators
https://www.meldaproduction.com/tutoria ... modulators

elassi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:54 pm Melda doesn't excel at manual writing, so to speak. Further resources other than this forum ... no clue.
So I have tried for ages now to get things working and I am just so confused and don't know what to do. I have watched the video the other guy posted above, and while it shows how to modulate other parameters in other modulators, it didn't work when modulating the value parameter so that didn't resolve my problem.

To keep things simple, would you please be so kind as to tell me step by step what to do in order to achieve this:

- I have a filter cutoff on my 3rd party synth that I wish to modulate.
- In MCCGenerator, I would like to put an envelope, pitch modulator and note (keytracking) modulation all on the cutoff.

if can guide me step by step, maybe this can help my confusion. Cos I've tried the midi panel and just find it so confusing. so sorry to ask for your time like this, but im really stumped and been trying alot myself.

Digitt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:17 am - I have a filter cutoff on my 3rd party synth that I wish to modulate.
- In MCCGenerator, I would like to put an envelope, pitch modulator and note (keytracking) modulation all on the cutoff.
Pitch modulation of a filter and keytracking are the same - at least to my understanding. If you want to alter the pitch of the OSC(s) we're talking about an additional Midi CC.

In any case the keytracking should be done in the synth itself. It's a standard and common feature for filter manipulation. No need for a MIDI tool.

How to set up an MCC envelope for controlling the filter ... you should have found out already since you learned about the modulators 1-8 on your own.

But again, this is a standard feature of synths, so I don't see the demand for a MIDI (Ctrl) tool here at all.

elassi wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm
Digitt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:17 am - I have a filter cutoff on my 3rd party synth that I wish to modulate.
Pitch modulation of a filter and keytracking are the same - at least to my understanding. If you want to alter the pitch of the OSC(s) we're talking about an additional Midi CC.

In any case the keytracking should be done in the synth itself. It's a standard and common feature for filter manipulation. No need for a MIDI tool.

How to set up an MCC envelope for controlling the filter ... you should have found out already since you learned about the modulators 1-8 on your own.

But again, this is a standard feature of synths, so I don't see the demand for a MIDI (Ctrl) tool here at all.
you're missing my point entirely. I just used pitch as an example of another modulator to use. I wanted to list an lfo but I thought you'd then say I can use the lfo knob within the envelope.

no, keytracking cannot be done in the synth itself for what i want to do, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. For example, I use wavesfactory spectre and i want to modulate one or more of the frequency bands by putting a keytracker (ie pitch modulator), velocity tracker, envelope, lfo, and let's say a sidechain.

I used filter cutoff as a simple example. I said "lets keep it simple" and gave a very simple example to avoid confusion, ie I didn't want to go explaining about wavesfactory spectre or other use cases incase yo're not familiar with the plugins. i provided a simple example just to keep communication towards simple things.

so i am asking again:

- I have a parameter. For the sake if simplicity, let's call it my dry/wet on a 3rd party reverb plugin.
- On reaper, I cannot map multiple modulators to the same parameter. So I assign CC1 to my dry/wet on my reverb
- In MCCGenerator, I want to add an envelope, pitch mod/keytracker, note tracker, lfo and envelope follower to CC1. How do I do it?

thank you

elassi wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm
oh you are correct, my apologies, I had actually meant VELOCITY tracking. so pitch/note tracking + velocity tracking

Return to “MeldaProduction”