Beta Testing of Bitwig Studio 5.2

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 pm Even if only there under certain circumstances. It's still a bug and it's reproducible. I believe it should be fixed... but not in the eyes of the devs of Bitwig
Even though they overhauled the graphics engine, this sh** still carried on.. I don't understand it
I believe I came closer to a proper bug report. Maybe the devs weren't able to reproduce it because there was one detail I didn't notice...:
I also like to set MacOS to hide the menu bar. When set that way, I get the bug. When set to show the menu bar even on full screen, as soon as the plugin window is selected, no more mouse cursor hover issue.
It only happens when you set MacOS to hide the menu bar.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:34 am
sQeetz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 pm Even if only there under certain circumstances. It's still a bug and it's reproducible. I believe it should be fixed... but not in the eyes of the devs of Bitwig
Even though they overhauled the graphics engine, this sh** still carried on.. I don't understand it
I believe I came closer to a proper bug report. Maybe the devs weren't able to reproduce it because there was one detail I didn't notice...:
I also like to set MacOS to hide the menu bar. When set that way, I get the bug. When set to show the menu bar even on full screen, as soon as the plugin window is selected, no more mouse cursor hover issue.
It only happens when you set MacOS to hide the menu bar.
This is great,thanks for discovering this,I like using full screen mode so I can swipe back to the desktop or between apps and I don’t like auto hidings the dock either. I can live with the menu bar up there. The cursor problem was disappointing because I really just started using Bitwig and I love it I upgraded from essential to producer today and I’m hoping for a sale in July maybe to upgrade to studio.I haven’t really touched FL Studio in a couple days,this is almost the perfect DAW.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:34 am
gulugulufish wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:42 am
Not sure I understand what issues with loops and stretching you are referring to are, but I would say bitwig almost always adds foundational features in their updates.
Every update has a bunch of small and sometimes even unmentioned improvements that are useful. For example, down near the bottom of the 5.2 changelog is this item.

* Don't restore the last manual parameter value after clip launcher automation terminates

There are also many excellent functions that lots of users don't find.
What does that mean?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ChanceB wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:56 am....this is almost the perfect DAW.
To me it IS the perfect DAW. I've been using Ableton Live for almost three years just because Bitwig was unusable with that glitch...
Now I hope it can get fixed, and even if not, I know how to avoid the issue in a manner that doesn't bother me that much :ud:
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

SLiC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:34 am What does that mean?
IIRC a scenario was something like having a program change in a clip, and when the clip was done it would revert to whatever program it was prior of the program change that was specified in that clip that was playing. Now it stays on the program change you automated to in the clip that played back. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure this is the scenario that caused them, via some user feedback, to make this change.
"music is the best"

Funk Dracula wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:32 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:34 am What does that mean?
IIRC a scenario was something like having a program change in a clip, and when the clip was done it would revert to whatever program it was prior of the program change that was specified in that clip that was playing. Now it stays on the program change you automated to in the clip that played back. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure this is the scenario that caused them, via some user feedback, to make this change.
Thank you, I guess I never came across that issue!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

Beta 2 is out...

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5.2, Beta 2 [released 14 May 2024]

NEW FEATURES

Wavetable (Oscillator) Grid/Polymer module: Added two new options:
Remove Fundamental suppresses the fundamental from each table
Remove DC Offset offsets the signal output to center around zero. This can transform wavetables made for modulation (such as the "LFO and Sequences" category) into interesting audio sources.
In The Grid, these functions are available in the module's Inspector Panel
In Polymer, the Wavetable oscillator now has a Pop-out Editor for accessing all parameters

IMPROVEMENTS

Graphics engine / GUI: Better fallbacks for various cases on Linux and Window
Graphics engine / GUI: General painting optimizations, particularly for The Grid editor
Separate functions and dialogs for Set Event Tempo… and Detect Event Tempo…
Detect Event Tempo dialog now allows minimum and maximum BPM values, to potentially improve detection results
New direct functions are available for:
Detect Event Tempo to run the default detection again, good in case you made a mess
Set Event to current Project Tempo to set the audio to match the project tempo at this time (the same as the old Unstretch function)
New algorithm for solving latency-compensation, which should fix the few remaining issues in this space
Transient Split (Spectral) device: Improved sonogram display painting.. and fixed a crash [35713]
Compressor+ (Dynamics) and Over (Distortion) devices: Both now use static sample rates when at higher project sample rates, reducing oversampling and CPU load
Note In (I/O) Grid module: Now does better swapping for some modules with logic out ports, as well as all modules with pitch out ports
Right-clicking Note In to Replace with now offers the Triggers, Gates, and Probabilities sequencers, for quicker generative patching

FIXES

Graphics engine / GPU: Some paint commands didn't consider Mid-tone/Black-level setting properly [35703]
Graphics engine / GPU: Fixed some various font crashes [35679]
Various time selection functions have been fixed [35682, 35685, 35686, 35678]
The full set of editing functions/mappings is now listed
Tempo detection is now working properly for short audio samples when launched from the Detect Tempo dialog
Expression editing: When points are created with the mouse, they are automatically selected for easy editing
Curve Editor: Pencil tool is now working again (a regression) [35744]
E-Snare (Snare) device: Was not playing back the noise signal when being triggered by MIDI controller (a regression) [35812]
Make Legato is no longer greyed out for audio events (a regression) [FLOAT-35655]
Fixed some incorrect trimming of audio event start times, when adjusting clip Start in the Arranger [35625]
JavaScript Controller Extensions: Now provide line numbers when errors are encountered [35705]
Fix startup of some older controller scripts that were sending invalid sysex messages (Reloop Keypad/Keyfadr and Livid Alias8/DS1)
Windows: Fixed a waveform rendering regression with ultrawide monitors [35757]
Linux: Fixed bad sound for the Wavetable (Oscillator) Grid/Polymer module
Recording note pitch bends was not always accurate (a regression) [35775]
Automation recording of certain parameter types in the Arranger (such as mute) was not preserving the off (unmuted) state (a regression) [35666]
macOS: Fixed a potential audio engine crash when scanning device metadata while device is being disconnected [35405]
CLAP plug-ins: Were not receiving modulation when your Audio setting for Block size was smaller than 64 samples
SSL Native Channel Strip plug-in: Fixed an issue when adding more than 8 FX tracks [35777]

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:12 pm Beta 2 is out...

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5.2, Beta 2 [released 14 May 2024]

NEW FEATURES

Wavetable (Oscillator) Grid/Polymer module: Added two new options:
Remove Fundamental suppresses the fundamental from each table
Remove DC Offset offsets the signal output to center around zero. This can transform wavetables made for modulation (such as the "LFO and Sequences" category) into interesting audio sources.
In The Grid, these functions are available in the module's Inspector Panel
In Polymer, the Wavetable oscillator now has a Pop-out Editor for accessing all parameters

IMPROVEMENTS

Graphics engine / GUI: Better fallbacks for various cases on Linux and Window
Graphics engine / GUI: General painting optimizations, particularly for The Grid editor
Separate functions and dialogs for Set Event Tempo… and Detect Event Tempo…
Detect Event Tempo dialog now allows minimum and maximum BPM values, to potentially improve detection results
New direct functions are available for:
Detect Event Tempo to run the default detection again, good in case you made a mess
Set Event to current Project Tempo to set the audio to match the project tempo at this time (the same as the old Unstretch function)
New algorithm for solving latency-compensation, which should fix the few remaining issues in this space
Transient Split (Spectral) device: Improved sonogram display painting.. and fixed a crash [35713]
Compressor+ (Dynamics) and Over (Distortion) devices: Both now use static sample rates when at higher project sample rates, reducing oversampling and CPU load
Note In (I/O) Grid module: Now does better swapping for some modules with logic out ports, as well as all modules with pitch out ports
Right-clicking Note In to Replace with now offers the Triggers, Gates, and Probabilities sequencers, for quicker generative patching

FIXES

Graphics engine / GPU: Some paint commands didn't consider Mid-tone/Black-level setting properly [35703]
Graphics engine / GPU: Fixed some various font crashes [35679]
Various time selection functions have been fixed [35682, 35685, 35686, 35678]
The full set of editing functions/mappings is now listed
Tempo detection is now working properly for short audio samples when launched from the Detect Tempo dialog
Expression editing: When points are created with the mouse, they are automatically selected for easy editing
Curve Editor: Pencil tool is now working again (a regression) [35744]
E-Snare (Snare) device: Was not playing back the noise signal when being triggered by MIDI controller (a regression) [35812]
Make Legato is no longer greyed out for audio events (a regression) [FLOAT-35655]
Fixed some incorrect trimming of audio event start times, when adjusting clip Start in the Arranger [35625]
JavaScript Controller Extensions: Now provide line numbers when errors are encountered [35705]
Fix startup of some older controller scripts that were sending invalid sysex messages (Reloop Keypad/Keyfadr and Livid Alias8/DS1)
Windows: Fixed a waveform rendering regression with ultrawide monitors [35757]
Linux: Fixed bad sound for the Wavetable (Oscillator) Grid/Polymer module
Recording note pitch bends was not always accurate (a regression) [35775]
Automation recording of certain parameter types in the Arranger (such as mute) was not preserving the off (unmuted) state (a regression) [35666]
macOS: Fixed a potential audio engine crash when scanning device metadata while device is being disconnected [35405]
CLAP plug-ins: Were not receiving modulation when your Audio setting for Block size was smaller than 64 samples
SSL Native Channel Strip plug-in: Fixed an issue when adding more than 8 FX tracks [35777]
Wunderbar !

Sweet

How often do major updates come out for Bitwig, such as Bitwig 6 coming out? I'm wondering if the year update plan is worth it right now if I were to purchase Bitwig 5 Studio.

^^^ 3 times per year but they have just released a fancy timeline, https://www.bitwig.com/stories/10-years ... tudio-305/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

3ptguitarist wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:19 pm How often do major updates come out for Bitwig, such as Bitwig 6 coming out? I'm wondering if the year update plan is worth it right now if I were to purchase Bitwig 5 Studio.
Unlikely... if you buy Bitwig now (currently it´s at 5.1.9) you´ll get 5.2 and 5.3 for sure... with some luck eventually 5.4 ...
If they keep their current cycle, V6 will come more or less half a year after your upgrade plan has expired...
xbitz wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:23 pm ^^^ 3 times per year but they have just released a fancy timeline, <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.bitwig.com/stories/10-years ... 05</span>/
It´s more 2 times a year now and this "fancy timeline" is partly a lie...

They state 5.1 would have been released in February 2024 and 5.2 in April 2024...

It´s true that the official 5.1 release was then but 5.2 is just in beta and will be probably be released in late June or July 2024... if it´s the same like with 5.1 it will be release in August...
The beta for 5.1 has started in something like November 2023 though... so apples and oranges...

If we are talking about how many updates will be included in one year just look at the later dates:
4.4 > October 2022
5.0 > June 2023 = 8 month later
5.1 > February 2024 = again 8 month later...

If you have much luck and have had a cristal ball to look into the future it´s possible by buying at the absolute correct point in time that your 1 year period will include 3 updates... but most of the time it will be just 2 updates...

It used to be 3 updates a year before but since 1 and a half year it´s more towards the 2 updates/ year cycle...

3ptguitarist wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:19 pm How often do major updates come out for Bitwig, such as Bitwig 6 coming out? I'm wondering if the year update plan is worth it right now if I were to purchase Bitwig 5 Studio.
2-3 times per year. More recently has been 2. With Bitwig, 5.0 and when it comes out, 6.0 are not necessarily bigger. 5.1 was pretty close in size to 5.0

I think it is unnecessary stress to worry about what you will get in the ensuing 12 months. Some people upgrade when they are happy with what they are getting right now... and then whatever comes in the following 12 months is a nice bonus.

That's my thoughts on it, but different people approach it in different ways. Oh, and in any case, someone can buy the upgrade at the current cheap price and wait to activate whenever they want.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”