GForce Oberheim DMX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I too have heard the Michel Doidic name, not sure where, but I have heard Marcus mentioned him.
This video seems to have sources which might substantiate that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQiiQa7Rkm0

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sound sculptist

"On its launch, at the USA NAMM music fair in 1984, the Oberheim Xpander was touted as the last word in analogue synthesizers. Its design team included such newcomers as Marcus Ryle and Michel Doidic working on the software, and Tom Oberheim himself keeping an eye on specs and hardware."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/oberheim-xpander

That suggests that Tom was at least involved, depending on what you interpret as "keeping an eye on" means... :)

But I stand by my gut that the Xpander wasn't really a "Tom Oberheim" instrument in the way the earlier ones were... Also, in interviews, he doesn't really talk about the Xpander onwards in the way he talks about the SEMs, OB-Xs etc. I just think his involvement in the design of the thing was fairly minimal.

Good stuff, but back to the DMX. Never had a chance to try it.
Seems kind of appealing, because of the Oberheim lineage, and I'm a fan of GForce stuff too.
But I'm first and foremost a drummer, who's been doing it since before any of this stuff has been around,
and I've had a disdain for any type of drum machine because of it.
Still, for the price it seems like a no-brainer.
I'll sleep on it, and see what tomorrow brings.

zvenx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 pm We shall indeed see.
I too would love an Xpander in software :).
rsp
I don't know how accurate of an emulation it is, but isn't the Matrix-12 V similar to Xpander? I have Matrix-12 V and even if it's not exactly like the original (I've never owned an actual Oberheim hardware synth) it has a lot of options built-in and it's fun to use.

felis wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:04 pm Good stuff, but back to the DMX. Never had a chance to try it.
Seems kind of appealing, because of the Oberheim lineage, and I'm a fan of GForce stuff too.
But I'm first and foremost a drummer, who's been doing it since before any of this stuff has been around,
and I've had a disdain for any type of drum machine because of it.
Still, for the price it seems like a no-brainer.
I'll sleep on it, and see what tomorrow brings.
There's a demo version you can check out.

Examigan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm
zvenx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 pm We shall indeed see.
I too would love an Xpander in software :).
rsp
I don't know how accurate of an emulation it is, but isn't the Matrix-12 V similar to Xpander? I have Matrix-12 V and even if it's not exactly like the original (I've never owned an actual Oberheim hardware synth) it has a lot of options built-in and it's fun to use.

It is in theory two Xpanders and a keyboard.
I assume you mean the Arturia? I have never heard any Arturia synth emulation that I liked personally.
Not even when they offered all of them to me for $149... so for me a hard pass.
ymmv
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:15 pm I have never heard any Arturia synth emulation that I liked personally.
same for me.

back to DMX:
What would be an equivalent outboard chain behind the DMX vs. what they used to use in the "80´s US" -Disco/Funk- productions ?
more focusing in compression "approach" descriptions, rather than the specific gear used. The latter, an interesting -optional- point too, ofcourse.

so much in love with this tune. Thats a DMX, right ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kER09r3UVzM

I bought this and then realized there are no multiouts. On a software drum machine that should be a given, honestly.

Really surprised that g force did this. They make such great plugins that I bought before reading here.

i think we need a Matrix 12 wish thread

golly i hope that machine is next on the GForce to do list

I didn't read all of the stuff in this thread, but licensing samples for commercial use is a relatively straightforward process and there are many DMX series samples from the original hardware out in the world that are legit. With my knowledge of gforce (which is a company I very much like) they probably put a good bit of work into emulating the envelopes and resampling interpolation of the original, while also probably having the original data to play with.

All of that isn't enough for me to spend any money on this sort of product (I have a few old digital machines if i really need to go down the rabbit hole) in sure for 20-50 bucks it's a decent library even before the cool playback engine.
Are the samples available as wav data for owners of this? Curious as that's the only reason I might buy it.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Funky40 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:05 am so much in love with this tune. Thats a DMX, right ?
No.

Funky40 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:05 am
zvenx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:15 pm I have never heard any Arturia synth emulation that I liked personally.
same for me.

back to DMX:
What would be an equivalent outboard chain behind the DMX vs. what they used to use in the "80´s US" -Disco/Funk- productions ?
more focusing in compression "approach" descriptions, rather than the specific gear used. The latter, an interesting -optional- point too, ofcourse.

so much in love with this tune. Thats a DMX, right ?
I believe it was the Yamaha RX5 and/or a Simmons kit.

The sounds are great and so is the price.
Not sure about the midi file concept instead of a dedicated sequencer though - hopefully that will change - but multi out is a definite upgrade request.
Let’s hope the Gforce boffins are already on it:)

Jesus wept! No multi-outs? That's something right out of the stone age, regarding a drum vst. :(

I'll stick to Ableton's Drum essentials for now. No multi-outs is a no-no for me. I do love the DMX sounds though, they are essential!

Return to “Instruments”