Best guitar for funk

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m a new guitarist and am starting a funk project , any ideas for a guitar for funk

Mr Rodgers likes a Strat. Can't really argue with him on matters of funk...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBg6kmwI80

While that perspex Strat is fine, I'd actually recommend a Telecaster.

But: a funky player can deliver with any axe, while a bad player still sounds like a turd with Niles HitMaker.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

True, true, and I like the tele as well for it to be honest, but I'm just an indie rokk fumbler.

Indeed, Nile's is a Stratocaster and Prince was a Telecaster.. I think either (and as someone else said, a funky player can deliver on any ax), but for sure I would start with either (I tend to in theory prefer Strat for it, but in practice I find myself playing funkier with a Tele.. though when I am recording in my own studio since I don't own a strat or tele, I mostly use my Ibanez S-540 or Herman Li E-Gen (yes I know neither designed with this purpose in mind)).
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Music4damind wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:02 pm I’m a new guitarist and am starting a funk project , any ideas for a guitar for funk
Something quiet

Are the strats expensive ?

I honestly cant say i ever 'intentionally' played
anything funky. I would think, unless you are
naturally funky, maybe try bass. Funky bass
seems like it would be easier. heh

pekbro wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:09 pm I honestly cant say i ever 'intentionally' played
anything funky.
Good man, but i think you mean "I can honestly say I have never intentionally played anything funky'

And why would you...
Last edited by seafire on Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Music4damind wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:03 pm Are the strats expensive ?
Huge variety of prices, from entry level Squier (Fender's own cheaper brand) ones to hideously expensive custom ones, e.g;

https://www.gear4music.com/search/?str_ ... NyIjoiMiJ9

In practice, above a certain level the gains in quality are marginal. Certainly the mid range Squier guitars are fine - I have a telecaster and it's great.

The Boss plays a Tele, nuff said

Known funk lord Bruce Springsteen

Tele is the traditional guitar for funk and country.
And of course funkountry played by funky bumpkins.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Well, you don't get much funkier than James Brown and Jimmy Nolen typically used hollow bodies with P90s. I'd say funk is more about the player than the guitar (although I wouldn't use humbuckers :))
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

OP has ceased to be, I see.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”