Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ahhh too late i already moved to bitwig

chk071 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:53 pm
LaLivre wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:50 pm Is this a joke? The same sequencer on the picture like before just divided into 2 areas? Thats all? No folders? No markers? No nothing?

Unbelievable.
Translation: "They didn't implement the features I wanted. Unbelievable."
Features I wanted???

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7075401 ... 393476792/
Last edited by LaLivre on Thu May 02, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20 votes!

You know, I really don't want to talk it down, but, I don't think "This essential feature XY wasn't implemented" helps. Reason Studios know their customer base better than we all do here, and, if they don't implement something, but another thing, then it's usually for a reason.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu May 02, 2024 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dartfordyes wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:55 pm ahhh too late i already moved to bitwig
I will do the same and leave forever if that is the sequencer update.

jens wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:32 pmWhat we need is the ability to switch between the individual maximized views as painlessly as possible. And Reason has always been the queen of DAWs in regards to that. You could of course use F5-F7, which is already great, but even much better Reason is the only DAW I know that exposes all the three main windows to the OS, so in Windows you can switch using alt+tab between them.
And both the MIDI editor and the audio-editor(s) open with a simple double-click and have their own zoom- and snap-settings - i.e. with a single double-click you could access every tiny clip within a fully zoomed-out song/arrangement without usually needing a zooming at all - a simple double-click and boom! It's all right there.

So that is literally the one area where Reason imo was always clearly better than all the other DAWs. :dog: :dog: :dog:
Lets agree to disagree. I've always found the way Reason manages the different views frustrating.
I expect when I press a button twice that I'm back to where I started. Not so in Reason. If you have the mixer view maximized, press F7 to open the sequencer and then press F7 again you're not back to the mixer, not even a split between the mixer and sequencer, but all three views :?
Same with double clicking the hide button in the view bar. If the view is fullscreen it splits the two other views, click it again and you're not back to your fullscreen view, but in a three view split. I fail to see the logic. As I said I expect to be back to the starting point when I click something twice.

And another thing. Two of the tree views are best suited for portrait mode, but still you can only split in landscape. Why? We/most got a lot more horisontal screen real estate.
Last edited by kae on Thu May 02, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacepluk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:55 pm How can you all be so negative before you've even tried the thing! hahaha
hm... maybe because none of the stuff that's been missing / has been requested for years is announced/mentioned/teased but instead stuff nobody ever asked for?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Reason would have been more intriguing to me if it had remained a closed system and the Props had focused solely on making a lot more internal tools than are presently included and had developed the sequencer/mixer beyond where they have been the past 15 years or so. I always liked the idea of a unique, self contained system with no need or temptation to go buy 3rd party tools which is precisely what Reason was at the beginning.
But obviously many of the included tools, some that have been around since the year 2000 :scared: became dated quickly and were eventually overtaken by what's out there on the market so instead of trying to keep up they instead opened it up to the world which I think is a shame as Reason could have ended up being something far more unique than it currently is.
Oh, what might have been. :violin:

kae wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm
jens wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:32 pmWhat we need is the ability to switch between the individual maximized views as painlessly as possible. And Reason has always been the queen of DAWs in regards to that. You could of course use F5-F7, which is already great, but even much better Reason is the only DAW I know that exposes all the three main windows to the OS, so in Windows you can switch using alt+tab between them.
And both the MIDI editor and the audio-editor(s) open with a simple double-click and have their own zoom- and snap-settings - i.e. with a single double-click you could access every tiny clip within a fully zoomed-out song/arrangement without usually needing a zooming at all - a simple double-click and boom! It's all right there.

So that is literally the one area where Reason imo was always clearly better than all the other DAWs. :dog: :dog: :dog:
Lets agree to disagree. I've always found the way Reason manages the different views frustrating.
I expect when I press a button twice that I'm back to where I started. Not so in Reason. If you have the mixer view maximized, press F7 to open the sequencer and then press F7 again you're not back to the mixer, not even a split between the mixer and sequencer, but all three views :?
Same with double clicking the hide button in the view bar. If the view is fullscreen it splits the two other views, click it again and you're not back to the start, but in a three view split. I fail to see the logic. As I said I expect to be back to the starting point when I click something twice.
Well, you have a bit of a point there - but then again that's nothing a little muscle-memory won't deal with - and as I mentioned alt+tab is your friend and to more rapidly switch between three windows is nigh impossible.
And another thing. Two of the tree views are best suited for portrait mode, but still you can only split in landscape. Why? We/most got a lot more horisontal screen real estate.
Tbh you kinda lost me there - as I mentioned I find window-splitting (almost - let's say some drag and drop scenarios aside) always stupid, regardless of whether it's horizontally or vertically.
Last edited by jens on Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

lotus2035 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:01 pm Reason would have been more intriguing to me if it had remained a closed system and the Props had focused solely on making a lot more internal tools than are presently included and had developed the sequencer/mixer beyond where they have been the past 15 years or so.
Absolutely. But, I don't know how long such a closed system works, when the included devices aren't on par with the premium third party stuff out there.

Rebirth and Reason worked well when there wasn't such a strong armada of VST plugins out there. But, after that? I don't know. I don't think it was coincidence that they first opened up their system for REs, and then even for VSTs.

Not to mention they haven't even giving us the details of most of the new features yet. Can we wait until they release more info before we get all "forum-y" on them? lol
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

Fair enough. :tu:

jens wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:05 pm
kae wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 pm

Same with double clicking the hide button in the view bar. If the view is fullscreen it splits the two other views, click it again and you're not back to the start, but in a three view split. I fail to see the logic. As I said I expect to be back to the starting point when I click something twice.
Well, you have a bit of a point there - but then again that's nothing a little muscle-memory won't deal with - and as I mentioned alt+tab is your friend and to more rapidly switch between three windows is nigh impossible.
I've never managed to build up any muscle memory on this. I'm usually surprised every time I press one of them F keys
"oh, dual split now.. and now three" :lol:
jens wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:05 pm
Tbh you kinda lost me there - as I mentioned I find window-splitting (almost - let's say some drag and drop scenarios aside) always stupid, regardless of whether it's horizontally or vertically.
What I meant is that both Mixer & Rack views are best seen in full height. Full width isn't that important (actually not desirable as it slows down the rendering). So I don't understand why I can't split the rack & mixer side by side, not horizontally where I can hardly see any of them. I got helluva lot more pixels horizontally.
Sorry, but the window handling is a mess. Together with the zooming. Which seems to be fixed now :tu:
Last edited by kae on Thu May 02, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think we can all agree the look and layout of the sequencer seems much better (with a view like almost all other DAWS)..that's a thing!

Switching to a 'pop up' rather than docked browser will probably raise a few eyebrows, but I will try it before commenting (assuming I get a beta invite), that said, for me the update will need to be very cheap for me to bother as I am more of a RRP user...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The new tool devices are quite interesting:
  • Sidechain Tool looks like a rebranded „Pump“ RE (which is free anyway)
  • Gain Tool is much like „Selig Gain“
  • Stereo Tool has no RE equivalent, but looks suspiciously close to „Polyverse Wider“
Just sayin… could be all wrong

It does seem to have both docked and popup browser in the example? I love fast popups though. The way I'm used to find things in both OS and other tools.

"several new workflow improvements, improved zooming, layout changes, and easy access to editing features"
Sounds like much of what I've wanted in previous updates. I'm excited to learn more about this update.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”