learn more DSP or electronics?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ferki wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:27 pm The idea is that, both things seem necessary, but for example, many times if you don't have the schematic it is better to go for purely DSP? or very complex electronic schematic where it is difficult to emulate them with epice, I don't know how the companies that are dedicated to this or people who know well do it.
These are the sorts of questions that nobody can answer in general terms... but you should really not think that modelling electronics is the only "right" way to do DSP, because there's a lot of DSP stuff that would not even be feasible in electronics.

And vice versa: an exact replica of an electronic device in computer code is not needed to get done what it's supposed to do.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:13 am And vice versa: an exact replica of an electronic device in computer code is not needed to get done what it's supposed to do.
I think it's important to realize that we have the science to theoretically go down to the level of individual particles, but this baseline level of "exact replicate" is so far removed from anything that we can feasibly hope to compute that it's absolutely not a question of whether we simplify, it's a question of how drastically do we simplify... and we will always simplify drastically, but sometimes we might choose to simplify slightly less drastically.

When we do Spice-like simulation.. or even real Spice-simulation, that's a drastic simplification of how electronic devices really work.. but that's ok, because a whole lot of the detail does not matter for the sound.. and this brings us to an important point about DSP (not just modelling devices but all aspects of DSP): it's about sound. There are things that contribute, things that don't contribute, things that matter and things that don't matter.. and big part of learning DSP is to learn what matters and what doesn't.

All those transistors in the CPU better be useful for something!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”