The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pm
Teksonik wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:23 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:41 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:25 pm Ok here you go goal posts moved. 4 Bars of each:

Osc Comparison 2

Again the statement was "screams digital". If the statement was "sounds a little more digital" then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hyperbole generates reactions.

Again there are differences but none so much that either one screams anything.
This is hilarious, and quietly has been skated over. I'll be straight - at my age I can't tell the slightest difference. I put the WAV into RX Spectral view, and clearly there IS a difference - I can SEE it even though it's subtle. And I don't know which is Dune and which is Legend.
But playing devil's advocate, maybe those differences get magnified by filters and modulations?
Even so, terms like "screams digital" seem ridiculous hyperbole to me. That's KVR, taking almost imperceptable differences and turning them into best / worst plugin ever. The Legend HZ looks and sounds terrific. I have Monark for purity and Diva for expanding on the old limits, and I reckon I'm all good.
Yes as I said there is a difference no matter how minute. Of course the filters etc are going to make a difference in the final sound but as you say "screams digital" seems ridiculous hyperbole to me especially since I've made so many very pleasing analog patches for DUNE 3.

That's why I pushed back against such a nonsensical assertion as "screams digital". :shrug:
Your test is rubbish, because you are eliminating the main thing that would highlight the differences. This is a very simple test, two sawtooth waves, no detuning, no modulation. The difference is quite pronounced.

https://soundcloud.com/zerocrossing-1/d ... al_sharing
I just clicked it, but, now it's gone. :?

Oh, it's back now.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon May 06, 2024 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:05 pm Looks like a few of us passed on Myth (so far) nut jumped on this. Myth was a marvellous concept (and I own all the other Dawsome synths) but I just didn't make sounds I could see me using...playing LHZ I am finding myself spending 5 minutes on so on a pre-sets, they are deep, beautiful and potential song starters...Red Mist my top patch far with a bit of Mod Wheel...its great stuff.
Hi there SLiC - where is Red Mist patch - can't find it :? :?

seangm wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:38 am
osiris wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:32 pm This was synth preset programming back in the day. Maybe 2 hours to make a preset.
Can I save this preset in my DAW?
You can, but it takes an hour to load and you need two 56k dial-up modems.

I sure wish Feedback was a destination for the mod matrix.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pm Your test is rubbish, because you are eliminating the main thing that would highlight the differences. This is a very simple test, two sawtooth waves, no detuning, no modulation. The difference is quite pronounced.

I'll also add that I could have added more drift in to make these even more different, but I didn't.
Main difference is just from free running OSCs. If (in Legend) you set the OSC 1/2/3 phase to the same value, and turn off amp saturation, there's almost no difference at all. Because of the circuit modeling there will still be very slow phase drift, but you will only hear it if you hold down a note for more than a beat.

But overall you are still right. The architecture is entirely different. The very fact that you cannot eliminate phase drift tells you this. You have to force Legend not to sound analog with a bunch of tweaking, and even then you can't entirely.

The separate effect plugin is a little weird. It seems to collapse everything to mono, and if you turn the polyphony knob to anything other than mono, the audio cuts off completely (at least in Bitwig). Also, there doesn't seem to be any mention of the separate effect plugin in the manual at all, which makes it hard to trouble shoot.

Has anyone else messed with it, and if so have you figured out how to use it on a stereo signal?

Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is with the sequencer presets? The drop-down and the left/right arrows don't show any presets and the manual says there should be 20.

D Halgren wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:29 am Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is with the sequencer presets? The drop-down and the left/right arrows don't show any presets and the manual says there should be 20.
it works with me!

(ableton 12, OSX VEntura)

The Legend HZ is available at a discounted price (150$) on JRR with "GROUP" code :D

DaniZzz79 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:08 pm
D Halgren wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:29 am Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is with the sequencer presets? The drop-down and the left/right arrows don't show any presets and the manual says there should be 20.
it works with me!

So you are saying that you have the sequencer presets? I'm on MacOS 12 and using Live 12 and the drop down doesn't show any presets and the arrows do nothing. Maybe I should redownload 🤷‍♂️

Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:37 pm But The Legend HZ is a whole different beast.
It has 6 oscillators and 4 MSEG and and and ... It has 2 LFO (osc3 and osc6) that are audio-rate. You basically have audio rate modulation on an old school synth.
DUNE 3 has 16 Oscs and 8 Subs, 31 filter types, several of which are analog modelled, the ability to have 8 filters at a time or 16 in dual mode, 2 Arp/Seqs, the ability to bypass the Arps per layer, audio rate modulation, 3 LFOs, 4 MSEGS, 2 FX racks, Wavetables, Sample import, 3 Op FM, and and and....

Like I said before Legend HZ is a great synth but as you say it's "old school". DUNE 3 is a modern synth that pushes synthesis much farther than Legend HZ.

They're both great synths but if someone can only afford one then the choice is obvious to me. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pm Your test is rubbish
Why? Because it proves you wrong? Your own test does the same thing. No part of your test "screams digital" which was your original assertion. Yes as I have said there are differences but in no way shape or form does DUNE 3 "scream digital" when properly programmed.

Look, you are entitled to your opinion but when you spout nonsense like "screams digital", someone new to all this might read that and not even bother to demo DUNE 3 which is a synth that blows Legend HZ out of the water....in the right hands.

I get it that once a name like Moog or Hans Zimmer is attached to a synth here that it's going to be worshipped and that's fine. I hope it sells a million copies.

But I'll keep loving and using DUNE 3 because it is a far more capable synth aimed at advanced users. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

D Halgren wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:15 pm
DaniZzz79 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:08 pm
it works with me!

So you are saying that you have the sequencer presets? I'm on MacOS 12 and using Live 12 and the drop down doesn't show any presets and the arrows do nothing. Maybe I should redownload 🤷‍♂️
yep, either with the dropdown menu or the left/right arrow I can access 20 midi patterns or import any midi file. both VST3 and AU.

is this what you are referring to?
HZ_presets_pic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guys or Girls, I have an honest question. What "modulation at an audio rate" is and why should I need it or care? Can someone point me in the right direction or a video? I've seen this mentioned here and sometimes this pops up in some other threads but I never cared for it. What is it? I truly don't know.

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pm
Jac459 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:37 pm But The Legend HZ is a whole different beast.
It has 6 oscillators and 4 MSEG and and and ... It has 2 LFO (osc3 and osc6) that are audio-rate. You basically have audio rate modulation on an old school synth.
DUNE 3 has 16 Oscs and 8 Subs, 31 filter types, several of which are analog modelled, the ability to have 8 filters at a time or 16 in dual mode, 2 Arp/Seqs, the ability to bypass the Arps per layer, audio rate modulation, 3 LFOs, 4 MSEGS, 2 FX racks, Wavetables, Sample import, 3 Op FM, and and and....

Like I said before Legend HZ is a great synth but as you say it's "old school". DUNE 3 is a modern synth that pushes synthesis much farther than Legend HZ.

They're both great synths but if someone can only afford one then the choice is obvious to me. :shrug:
I'm not an expert but I read somewhere in some review that it's the other way around.
Legend HZ is apparently more "modern" than Dune 3 because it allows for more mod on the VCOs, which sounded strange to me - as you say - because Dune can use wavetable and crazy stuff.
Definitely the mod systems are different, the Legend is more like a poly moog on steroids, updated with modern stuff like 4 MSEGs, 32 step sequencer, effects and crazy mods.

Anyways, it's one of the best sounding synths I've ever tried, and I only bought it because I knew how Dune sounds great so I trust Synapse (and Hans, although I hate his Interstellar soundtrack :D )

Return to “Instruments”