articulating, crisp 1/16 bass

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ackelito wrote:If you try something new you will never sound like something old?
yeah well that's why I started this thread ;) .. much better asking people than just randomly trying everything that comes along. much higher probability to succeed..

why dont you email hujaboy and ask for his baseline :hihi: :P :wink:
would they tell? ;) .. well, maybe I'll just start spamming everybody that has the sound I'm looking for and maybe some'll respond ;)

go with your own flow... no one will never be fulltime happy, Dont overload the happyometer, it will only bring you pain.. :lol:
you mean satisfied? or what makes you think I'm happy at all? ;) .. music is pretty darn hard work ;)

happy today sad tomorrow, make a effort and then your ego will have a harder time messing with you...
(and i dont mean that you dont make an effort)
on the contrary it might be that if you put to much effort in things you feel that you should have done more... well well... hehe
yeah, I'm workin' pretty hard on this .. so my ego don't have a chanse? ;)

let's say that I'm satisfied when I'll make my living (doesn't have to be big) with my own songs ..

tweak till you bleed! and maybe hujaboy will email you someday ;)
I am already ;) and yeah, I hope ,)

Ever think of zeroing the envelope release and turning off any reverbs and delays? Nice clean articulation...

K
eccentric genius

"It's not my goddamned planet, monkeyboy"
-John Bigboote

kaden wrote:Ever think of zeroing the envelope release and turning off any reverbs and delays? Nice clean articulation...

K
not only thaught about it but also done. as I actually mentioned in this thread a couple of messages up.

and I hardly ever use reverb, especially for the basses..

c'mon, man, I've been tweaking basses for 10 years, so please don't patronize me.

or was that supposed to be funny?

Kinda touchy today, huh? Maybe time to switch to decaf.

All I know about you is that you have a generally obstreperous attitude, want to sound like this hula guy, and that after 10 proud years of tweaking basslines you're still asking how to do clean articulation of 16th notes in a synthesized environment?

I'll be as patronising as I f**king well please, son.

K
eccentric genius

-John Bigboote

kaden wrote:Kinda touchy today, huh? Maybe time to switch to decaf.

All I know about you is that you have a generally obstreperous attitude, want to sound like this hula guy, and that after 10 proud years of tweaking basslines you're still asking how to do clean articulation of 16th notes in a synthesized environment?

I'll be as patronising as I f**king well please, son.

K
actually wanted you to recommend a synth, and without reading the thread you come up with "loose the reverb"

and the other guy calls me a motherfuckers and suggests eq

wouldn't you yourself find this kind of attitude frustrating?

moonlite wrote:
splattabreakz wrote:eq motherf**ker
oh f**k you, eq don't cut that shit.
Actually EQing is probably exactly what you need perhaps you don't have the practice mixing to achieve that sound you want, but all the synths you have mentioned have crisp bass sounds with some tweeking and programming.

If you post a sample of your track I would be more than happy to tell you what I THINK you should do to EQ your bass correctly. Without a sample, you are just pissing into the wind asking for advice.
Life IS short, enjoy.

hjack wrote:get tha Vurtissimus Boxus QB
ok .. now, after several hours I found out what you were talking about. You should've made this a bit more clear. I thaugth that you too just wanted to jerk around not caring about the question .. before originally answering I even made a search on what you said and all I could come up with was some weird comment that didn't seem to have anything to do with the thread ..

so I'm sorry. I just got fustrated because it seemd that nobody was taking this seriously.

soo .. the vurtbox should be good for basses, eh? think i'm gonna try it right away =)

p.s. why isn't vurtbox even in the dropdown menu? if it would have been there i would have found it and no misunderstanding would've occurred .. =)

Simply what I do is take 3xOsc in FruityLoops, slap on SVF LP, up the resonance and leave for the cutoff for automation.

Then you take a parametric eq, cut below 20 or 30 Hz, boost 60 or 80 Hz, and maybe touch slightly the mids and the highs for character. Then it is to the overdrive.

The key here is probably to use less "drop" on the enveloping of the filter, that is to lessen the amount of enveloping going on. Nice and subtle.
What the *ZAP* ok... so that's what orange does....

The idea that changing synths will address the issue is startlingly misguided. Articulation is as much about note placement as it is about shape or timbre. Take a good close look at where the bass line falls with regard to the clock on the song...shift the bassline *maybe* a millisecond or so ahead of the '1', and listen to the articulation suddenly jump out at you. Too much and you push the beat...just enough, and the instrument jumps at you, regardless of the tonality (lookit Rocco Pestia from Tower of Power...godawful woofy bass tone, but he's got that placement down to an art)

Placement.

Real time rhythm sections do this kinda stuff by second nature...you don't even think about it; it just happens. It's not rocket science...

Sheesh...

K
eccentric genius

-John Bigboote

CskaTorpedo wrote:
moonlite wrote:
splattabreakz wrote:eq motherf**ker
oh f**k you, eq don't cut that shit.
Actually EQing is probably exactly what you need perhaps you don't have the practice mixing to achieve that sound you want, but all the synths you have mentioned have crisp bass sounds with some tweeking and programming.

If you post a sample of your track I would be more than happy to tell you what I THINK you should do to EQ your bass correctly. Without a sample, you are just pissing into the wind asking for advice.
ok, here's a sample of the kind of sound i'm looking for.

so if you think that for example tau can create this kind of bassline, i'd be happy to see you do it ;) take this as a challenge ;)

http://unimaa.dhis.org/~moon/psybassexamples.mp3

actually, I'm gonna shoot with an example of a song I'm working on right now since you want to hear .. (I actually misread what you said and thaugth you asked for examples of the sound I was looking on)

here:
http://unimaa.dhis.org/~moon/moonpsybass.mp3

it's unmixed and unmastered, so it'll get better, but I'd like to find a synth that would work even better ..

Xelebes wrote:Simply what I do is take 3xOsc in FruityLoops, slap on SVF LP, up the resonance and leave for the cutoff for automation.

Then you take a parametric eq, cut below 20 or 30 Hz, boost 60 or 80 Hz, and maybe touch slightly the mids and the highs for character. Then it is to the overdrive.

The key here is probably to use less "drop" on the enveloping of the filter, that is to lessen the amount of enveloping going on. Nice and subtle.
yeah but i've been playing with eq:s and compressors and filters a LOT .. now I'm asking for recommendations for synths ..

would 3x osc be your recommendation?

qualifier...psy-trance producer I AM NOT

BUT

from the examples Id say you need to layer up some almost percussive type elements on top of your bassline. The first example has that kinda sound..real short decay, square wave sound, PWM'ed or flanged a bit.

Personally I think FM7 or Sytrus are right up your alley.

good luck
Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good

kaden wrote:The idea that changing synths will address the issue is startlingly misguided.
actually, it's not at all. you are, my friend ;)

I've got quite a different character from almost every synth I've tried. the generic tb-303 emulators won't cut it at all, no matter what you do. v-station is remotely bearable, but I've still been using a couple of synths that I created in reaktor, because at the time I couldn't find anything that sounded as good. but now I found sytrus, and that seems to give me the best sound i've had yet. that's why I'm asking for other prepositions, because I found sytrus by a complete mistake. I think there's something even better waiting for me.

so I'm sorry, but you are just wrong, wrong, wrong. sorry.

Articulation is as much about note placement as it is about shape or timbre. Take a good close look at where the bass line falls with regard to the clock on the song...shift the bassline *maybe* a millisecond or so ahead of the '1', and listen to the articulation suddenly jump out at you. Too much and you push the beat...just enough, and the instrument jumps at you, regardless of the tonality (lookit Rocco Pestia from Tower of Power...godawful woofy bass tone, but he's got that placement down to an art)

Placement.

Real time rhythm sections do this kinda stuff by second nature...you don't even think about it; it just happens. It's not rocket science...

Sheesh...

K
Yeah, I've played quite a bit with the timing, but that's not the key, either. I've been analyzing the sounds too with many different applications.. (just in case if someone gets an idea to suggest that)

oh, yeah, and I /do/ program my own patches. I /never/ use anybody elses since I find them completely useless.

please, could you just try to have a listen at the examples, and even maybe try to create something like that yourself, if you think it's so easy.

http://unimaa.dhis.org/~moon/psybassexamples.mp3

Sheesh yourself. all I asked was a suggestion for a good synth!

I mean .. come on!

heh, and you wanna fly over here and call me son? ;))
Last edited by moonlite on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

soulkraka wrote:qualifier...psy-trance producer I AM NOT

BUT

from the examples Id say you need to layer up some almost percussive type elements on top of your bassline. The first example has that kinda sound..real short decay, square wave sound, PWM'ed or flanged a bit.

Personally I think FM7 or Sytrus are right up your alley.

good luck
yeah, sytrus feels really good .. I don't remember if I tried FM7 for the basses, but at least its unison sound sucked .. .. think i'm gonna have to try again ..

I think that rhino could work too .. that's up for trial too ..

oh yeah, actually I don't think that that's a square wave .. a square sounds quite different imho .. .. um, and I think that that's just the bassline and no things layered on top .. or did I get you right?

Hey, your bassline sounds better than that Psysex bassline. With which vsti did you do it?

Return to “Instruments”