Knobs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I Can't understand !

Why nobody are selling simply FLAT midi controller with 32 knobs or more ...for vst instruments with "smart" printed panels to apply over it?
(or to buy separately...)

Behringer BCR2000 is so curve shaped you can't apply notning to it... Evolution UC33 has some for reaktor... but... that's all.

I mean "a lot of" panels... for pro53, ppg2.3, minimonsta, fm7, vanguard, z3ta+ and so on... so you change your vst and apply the panel in 1 second... and you can edit like wind...

I really can't understand... because every vst instruments would buy it...

(sorry for my bad english...)

Because we're all elite.

huh? controllers that you can change panels on?

That's a good idea!...really, or I dunno.

Then, you'd have to get a panel with each instrument you get...heh, then there could be only one standard controller. Not much fun. Hm, waht about all the panles you'd have lying around if you vere to have more than 20 synths or so...would hardly just a second to get the right one...perhaps maybe if you're organized.¨

Why not just a poly-position touch screen.

What about little LCD screen next to the knobs that display what the knob affects?

Its a really good idea. The UC -33 has some plastic overlays that fit over the knobs, but only for certain synths, such as Reactor. Other manufacturers should do this, and produce overlays for lots of software.

The answer is simple, the companies that make hardware cannot keep up with the production rate of the companies that make software. The whole reason so many companies have moved to software-based business models is because it eliminates the problems, costs, and time investment to make a physical product.

As a result, the market is overflowing with software. The hardware manufacturers often align themselves with several big players - Reaktor, Reason, Live, etc - but who would want to to cover the cost of printing up panels for every Synthedit-made synth that comes along? You'd be overflowing in useless cardboard (just imagine the store display for the Fat-Ass panel!).

The UC-33 is pretty flat, and pretty knobby. Why not just make your own panels for it? I'm sure it would be cheaper for you, and custom tailored to your needs.

I know it's asking a lot for people to do something for themselves, bollox to effort and all that. And I know it is unjust to have two precious minutes stolen away from you just to do some menial task like editing. So it might be easier if you pretend that you are in fact a giant multinational corporation enabling a better lifestyle for yourself by providing all the convenience you desire and your bank account can handle. Perhaps even exchange currency with yourself, just to authenticate the deal.

Cheers,
Steve

the phatboy comes with a pre set bunch of cover panels and a couple plastic panels you can write on with a grease pencil :shrug:

they pop over the knobs, but then, there arent that many knobs on it compared to new stuff... I should dust mine off one of these days.

Why nobody are selling simply FLAT midi controller with 32 knobs or more ...for vst instruments with "smart" printed panels to apply over it?
but.. about everyone is. Half of the controllers I got for testing came with plastic sheets for various software.

I find them useless because:

-today's complex software can barely be fully controlled through a small bunch of knobs, some have thousands of parameters, mostly tabbed stuff

-controllers crowded with the most knobs in the smallest space (like the drehbank) are barely usable unless you have midget fingers

-no one can remember what 32 knobs are assigned to, hence the sheets, but you won't find usable sheets for all software anyway

So what's my dream controller? A (keyboard) controller with a small sample of each type, like 4 normal knobs, 4 'endless' knobs, 4 sliders, 4 toggle buttons, 4 latch buttons, a jog, etc. And then the software has to offer the quickest way to assign a hardware knob to a software one.

Printed sheets are mostly marketing so that the hardware can be advertised as tailored for software (and in a way it's good so that you at least knob it has been tested & works with the specific software), but I don't find them much useful.

I've received hardware to adapt my software to, and ended up doing nothing because the controllers were pure generic MIDI controllers that were already working perfectly with it. Still, I listed them in my list so that people know that they do work fine with the software. So generic MIDI controllers are the best thing, except that it's harder to market them as made specifically for a piece of software.

The Novation X-Station controller, comes with templates also and the site has new templates to download.

I want virtual-reality goggles & gloves to turn vst knobs :D
my sig will go here

Why didn't the manufacturer simply make an RTF "template" that can be loaded into nearly any word processor, and then the end user can just print their own panels?

You could also make templates yourself, using whatever word processing program you prefer, and make all the customized panels you want. Why wait for the manufacturer to guess which instruments you need panels for? :shrug:

take care,
McLilith

And how do you suppose you are going to get the holes punched in the sheets at the right place ???

I will make you a proposal. I don't want to get rich, just provide a solution.
What would you be willing to pay for "custom" size and custom "punched paper for say the BCR2000 for example, and you need to buy them per 20 ( to justify handling and shipping costs) ?
My father in law is a professional printer, and I could try talking him into helping us out on this ... whadayasay ?

bozzieman wrote:And how do you suppose you are going to get the holes punched in the sheets at the right place ???
The cutout areas would be outlined on the RTF document. You can use a pair of scissors, can't you?

:)
McLilith

Return to “Instruments”