The curse of the drum set in modern music

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

S_A_P: Congratulations! I'm on the same journey (favoring 5/4 and 7/8) - it's a bitch when you grew up with 4/4. Looking forward to checking some of your stuff out. Now you only need to become pop ;-)

My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Scary

Respirator, I've had the same kind of scary insights every now and then, where I think "why the f**k do all drummers have a HIHAT!? How conservative can they GET!?" and stuff like that. I've had periods where I simply couldn't listen to that boom-chaff-boom-chaff-chaff anymore at all. I went so far that for three or four years I listened to nothing but classical music (thoroughly disproving whoever said something about 600 years of not having a beat - hey man, it's about your head, not the music. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Go look.). But now I'm listening to (and making) lots of music with drum sets, because a)they rock and b)they rock.
Rakkervoksen

Hovmod wrote:I went so far that for three or four years I listened to nothing but classical music (thoroughly disproving whoever said something about 600 years of not having a beat - hey man, it's about your head, not the music. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Go look.
Hey man is it really? Like, far out.

A little bird told me that DWb wrote:To be fair to the listeners, a lot of popular music is or is derived from music that can be danced to, and that does call for a pretty regular rhythm.
Good point.
Also, DWb wrote: Oh, and on a different note, for a nicely unconventional use of a drum kit, check the Velvet Underground's Mo Tucker - as a classically trained (and avante garde leaning) percussionist, her approach to the drum kit was to put everything horizontal and play it like timps.
That explains so much (in a good way!)...
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Hovmod: I agree. You can use a drum set to great effect if you know the limitations you're imposing on yourself. Most music doesn't exactly seem knowledgable in this regard.

And classic music can rock too. Verdi has some truly funky passages. Even Vivaldi.

agreed- if some of these composers from the renaissance had the sound pallette that we do today....

I often grab loops from classical music to find a groove to build on and eventually replace

Lack of tails has resulted in you humans having a stunted sense of odd-numbered dance rhythms. People: see your local genetic engineer today! Give the next generation the gift of full rhythmic appreciation. =^_^=

hehe. My stuff rarely uses drums. I like music that lets you play with it mentally. My music tries to do this. When I listen to my songs, I'll often create rhythms and melodies and sounds that later go into other songs - thus one song gives birth to another.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Meffy wrote:Lack of tails has resulted in you humans having a stunted sense of odd-numbered dance rhythms. People: see your local genetic engineer today! Give the next generation the gift of full rhythmic appreciation. =^_^=
My Problem is that I am a pentatonic Whore, and I compulsively jump on 5ths. It just doesnt get any better than going from the e string to the a string.

You really ought to put that in your sig.

Just thought this was interesting because I am a fan of Nine Inch Nails.
Trent Reznor from MTV News
"With 'The Hand That Feeds' ... I wondered if I should include it because it was coming out catchy, like an obvious song," he said. "For me, what's scary is the stuff that comes out a bit obvious. What wouldn't be scary would be an eight-minute dark epic of weird time signatures. I'm not saying I don't like doing that, but what felt daring and unsure was a track like 'The Hand That Feeds.' "
Check out the whole article at:http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/150069 ... lines=true
Last edited by j3r3my on Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeremywentworth.com - music and software

Meffy wrote:You really ought to put that in your sig.
thanks I will think about it...

Meffy wrote:Lack of tails has resulted in you humans having a stunted sense of odd-numbered dance rhythms. People: see your local genetic engineer today! Give the next generation the gift of full rhythmic appreciation. =^_^=
I made my appointment right away!

But while I was on hold I heard an announcement from Genetic Control; it was something about how human height would be halved to conserve living space...
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Return to “Production Techniques”