may contest ... GOSSIP

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

heres what I did today.. downloaded all of these on my 56k :o

at first I wasnt going to vote.. but then at the last minute decided I would.. as a result (and since I had ot listen to all the entries anyways) I scribbled some thoughts down about each song as I listened..

I hope I dont personally offend anyone with my comments.. they can be, at times, a little upfront.. but in the end I decided honesty was best policy.. we'll see how that goes..

btw they arent in any order.. (though smilies at the end mean you made it to my personal short list :hihi)

0505_Khepira_Mountain.mp3:
sounds very random.. little coherence.. a few interesting melodies in there though. just wish they were setup in a more fufilling order.. very rushed feeling. Interesting lofi watery distorted sound on the master out.

0505_miro_journey.mp3:
nice rhythm going on there.. would have liked to hear more of a changeup in it though. instead of the same loop over and over..
I also enjoyed the melodyscape you are playing too however this one ends too short so it doesnt really go far. would have liked to hear a drop and the some panic added on for an additional 32 seconds.

05_05_softegg_carapace.mp3:
sounds like good slayer action happening (even if it is a real guitar). a bit cheesy to my ears but oh well... a bit noisey to my ears too for no reason. what on earth are the lyrics?? doesnt seem to go anywhere no progression.

05-05-Wopelka-Marionnettes.mp3:
organ sounds random and unispiring and repetitive. nice drumming though. and the bassline is good. I had a bad experience years ago in high school with french class. as a result I detest hearing french spoken. actually I detest hearing any language SPOKEN in music.. sing for goodness sake man!!!

06-05-05-aieda_cin-self.mp3:
delay or reverb on the snare please. yes thats a taste thing but my taste says the drums sound dry and too upfront.. add some delay or reverb on the snare and make them an element of the scape instead of just sitting up there on top. I said I dont like spoken word but quiet whispery almost singing is cool. do something with changing up the rhythm play with the kicks or snare hits here and there.. song ends abruptly.. as if it wasnt made for the contest which is part of the rules.. hmm what to do.

0505_smart_-_haiku's_theme.mp3:
comforting strings and alive percussion. koto sound is annoying to me. BLOOP - BLEEP - BLEEP - BLAP etc. I suppose its haiku's theme however I was still wanting more rhythm.. I know you're capable of it. I'm waiting...

05-05-plastique-one_on_one.mp3:
sounds random and as if you were just noodling on the keyboards to me. interesting sounds chosen though.. nice spread. not big on soundscapes though... so dont know what else to say.

0505-richiebee-funkeytijuana.mp3:
:lol: well you said it was funky and tijuana so yeah mission accomplished! nice trumpet playing and good structure. like the funky guitar too.. add a strong 4/4 kickdrum and some chipmunk singing and you'll well on your way to staying aliveeeee eeeee disco fever.

05_2005_respirator_rules.mp3:
full sounding sounds/samples chosen. like the construction. as I said before I'm not big on soundscapes but I do like yours. reminds me of some of the intros to older FSOL songs. :)

05_05-TristezaOrangeSummerOrchestra-Dawn.mp3:
hmm.. I wont say anything about the singing except to say you have more guts than me and you're timing is a bit slow in places. musically, I think you're improving quite a bit.. the stutteryhighlfo'd sound doesnt blend well with the rest of the song.. I think you hit an 'off' note or two (for my lack of correct terminology) which then sounds like you messed up and breaks the chord coherence (as I'd call it hehe) BUT all in all I think your entry sounds okay.

0505-AGounaro-AlphabetSoup.mp3:
wow. good stuff. this is how to do percussion. this is how to do just about everything. mix is a bit chunky sounding though and the panning (in my headphones) is a bit too strong for my tastes... but musically its really good. :)

0505-Glooper---BuskersOfTheWorld.mp3:
I think this is a cute song! another good structure here. like the mix too. well done - make me smile. :)

0505-The Peu-Liquid leaf.mp3:
not really fond of the chimey epiano sound but I think it sits well musically with the rest of the instrumentation in your song (which I also thought was pretty nice). drums are light and varied. doesnt really go to any one place but still not too shabby! :)

05-05-emerald-tablet-everyonesfriend.mp3:
oof.. vocals way too loud and upfront.. too much bass/lower-mid in mix too. nice structure though. drums sound a bit weak and thin though. bassline is great. lower the vocals volume and I'd have liked it even more.

05_05_AndreasE_Landscape.MP3:
yep, definately a landscape. :P has a personality to it. again, I think it has a little too much bass in the mix. maybe the bass itself is just a little too rich (in volume). sounds bluesy to me.. this is dying for some lyrics. not a big fan of your rhythm going but it doesnt really hurt the entry much.. all in all pretty good. :)

0505_EzyRyder_La_complainte_du_loup.mp3:
I really hate hardpanned instruments... I think you had a nice structure here if a bit monotonous.. its underneath some problems though... some of your sounds are a bit unrealistic to me. drums are too low in the mix. where is this piece going? whats my motivation?? :hihi:

05-05-mystahr-clarksisland.mp3:
fun lfo'd pitch sounds up front.. blur them with a little reverb maybe.. I think they sit out too much. liked the strings a bit watery but they still sounded nice. this is another one I was waiting for it to lift off and go somewhere.. but its ambient huh? hmmm as a soundscape though I'd say its interesting..

05_05_markleford_iteratione.mp3:
bassline sounds too random and unintelligent at the start.. like the strings - they build strongly. drums sound the biz but need more fierceness. do not like the lead that comes in about halfway.. it again sounds too random to me... as if your sequencer went nuts and just started doing its own thing. :shrug:

05-05-koorby-pastbedtime.mp3:
this is one of those songs where it sounds as if each track was performed in a different room. I dont know how to describe it but it each track/instrument feels to me as if they arent sonically working together. arpeggio is nice.. so are the drums and bass.. not a big fan of the piano stabs.

0505 JSL Wont Talk.mp3:
reminds me of sean lennon. chords in the background are a bit boring and need quantization.. they are off tempo in many places. uhmm... I dont know what to say about this one beside that.. I like the all parts but not all the parts summed together. :shrug:

05-05-Viktorhedfors-New_Peet_555.mp3:
reminds me of the 80s. drums are too loud.. you need to use compression on some of the tracks.. or just increase the volume of the melodys and bass... this is crying for singing too. Even with all the flaws I really dig this. fabulous! :)

0505-Hampa-tjock.mp3:
what are you injesting?? :o :hihi: well you definately know how to flipout and pull and IDM styleee for sure. though I didnt feel any movement in this. I live for musical movement. sounds a bit too random and I was bored after about the first minute as a result. nice and loud though.. this style definately needs to be played loud.

0505-TheHairThieves(Rollasoc)---FablesAndTheDeconstruction.mp3:
I always see "the hairy thieves" when I see your artist name.. :o anyways I like the emotion in this song. the filtered background pads though sort of kill the mood for me*. drumming is how I like it.. rough and dirtiee*... the drums at the end are a bit odd though.. you should have incorporated them alongside the beautiful progression you had going before it! *(note: and, no, if it sounds it I'm not thinking about doing the nasty with your song. my review just came out that way :hihi:)

0505-g200kg-kinounokoto.mp3:
hmmm. pseudo-guitar melody is cheesey.. so is the singing.. even if I dont know what they're/you're saying.. sounds to me as if you imported a midi game song into your sequencer and sang over the top. :-?

0505-ShaneSanders---CagedandWary.mp3:
the mix sounds muffled to me. this sounds like music I'd hear at the end of a movie.. not exactly coherent with itself but a lot of movement, jumps, and liveliness.

05-05-Patrick9-irregular_verb.mp3:
too bad you didnt teach my english classes.. they'd have been a lot more interesting! :hihi: musically I'm not sure about this one.. it has a lot of good elements but it sounds like an intro to something bigger.

0505-JamesBrinkhoff-bustin.mp3:
bass is too loud in the mix.. or everything else is too low.. this is nintendo at its finest.. its cute but it leaves me wanting more.. as if this is the beginning of a longer song. you had an additional 51 seconds allotted to you.. I'm thinking you should have used them :P

05_05_Sepheritoh_dawn_over_dagorlad.mp3:
pretty strings and guitar.. breath instrument (what is that?? :hihi:) is nice too. strings going up right after that hit an off note though.. a bit of fighting between notes in this one.. actually I think it works to your advantage. all in all what you did, you did well.. :)

0505_ColdNews_CommonsSense.mp3:
good news song.. 'all news all the time' fun percussion.. I think spoken news in songs is well.. cheap sounding and silly though.. it really detracts from the song to me.. even though I'm going to assume that the spoken news was the main element in your song. its also too up front in the mix..

05_05_Beardedone_Sohmites.mp3:
what happened here? you have some interesting instruments.. but it sounds as if your host ate your song. its a random rambling with a skittery, grooving rhythm. though I'm not feeling this one..

05-05-verdigast-radiant.mp3:
when good general midi files go bad. I'm sorry, but I'm completely lost as to what you were trying to accomplish here. deet deh doo dah (boomityboomboomityboomboomityboom) deet dee dahh doo deee ddeaahh (boomityboomboomityboom) ?? it sounds completely and entirely random as if you werent trying. uhmm check please.

0505-Barnadine-StringTrio.mp3:
good entry :) no multidetuned synths.. no cheesy distorted guitars... no freeflow nonsense... etc.
How your song progresses is pleasing to me. it doesnt sound entirely REAL to me.. but I dont care.. its great anyways. you know your stuff and you perform it well. :D

05-05-AndrewSimon---OutOfHere.mp3:
great use of stereo space at the start. rhythm is enjoyable. bassline is grooving. the epiano though sounds more like noodling that a serious progression. as if you looped the song and just started playing what came your fingers at the moment. :shrug: I dont want to not like this one.. but I'm not entirely sure of it. would make good movie music. think someone scoping out a criminal or a warehouse in a police flick. :P

0505-arglebargle-frozenmemories.mp3:
this starts off as FSOL soundscapeness.. I'd be more aggressive with your percussion stabs though.. leads into more of an 80s euro anthem sound to my ears.. its well done though. everything sounds as if you gave it a good deal of attention. :)

05-05-knockman-steady_hand.mp3:
haunting and fragile.. but with a hidden strength underneath. vocals (if a little slow at times) match the musical performance and cohere well.. this is really nice. not something I'd normally listen to but I'd like to hear more. :)

05_05_donkeyt_ted_moult.mp3:
really good instrumentation.. I'm not a big fan of the vocals though.. but you probably sound better than I would singing. I like the music though.. its got good movement and progression and everything blends well... drums are a bit weak and both drums and guitar are a bit muffled but doesnt detract much imo. shame you didnt use the full 2 minutes though.. :)

05_05_nikp2000_maybe_maybe_not.mp3:
chorus on the drums doesnt sound good.. makes the drums sound too wet and spacey. which makes them lose their punch. though the rhythm is nice.. and you play guitar well.. this sounds like one of those situations like I mentioned in reviews above this where it sounds as if one was noodling over a ryhthm... yet you execute it well so it works imo. :)

05-05-Katanaman-Lobster.mp3:
:lol: you get bonus points just for the song's focus. drumming is fierce.. arpeggio lead sound is a bit off in places and grungy but I'd expect this with those big meaty claws :P fun song.

0505_Ixox_IWantToBeAColourTV.mp3:
reminds me of old kids singalongs.. except this one is about being a color (note not coloUr :P) television. this, too, is a fun song.. interesting imagination you have with this one.. good execution to boot. though basic color tv's are out.. HDTV is here.. you're screwed! :lol:

0505-kibben---suppepose.mp3:
This is probably what bruce springstein would like singing while plastered. lots of heart in that singing but a bit slurred.. and I have no idea what you are singing about :hihi:

0505_Beatmaster_Ive_Got_To_Be_Me.mp3:
starts off as headbangers ball.. then quickly moves into this weird synthesizer weanie sound.. and moves back and forth from the two.. its well put together but I'm bored by about the first minute.. it doesnt seem to have any reason for being - im not hearing any coherence in this song... any main theme or flow that it can build around.

0505_1-2-Many_Run_To_Madness.mp3:
starts off sounding like cheerleader/danceteam routine music. grooving though.. vocals are actually really good. they fit perfectly. this sounds like it could sell commercially too.. I'm not saying its common top40 stuff, but it has a 'professional' sound imo... has an 80s feel to it too especially at the end.. I like it a lot. :) so much that i had to play it again MUCH louder :band: fletch out the first 1:30 and send it to me.. add some subbass and :love:

05-05-eric_bourne-i_wanna_be_a_rockstar.mp3:
you wanna be a rockstar but you have no distorted electric geeetar??!@? :o this could easily be danceteam routine music too.. minus the getting laid lyric :hihi: I like the music though.. its aliveeeeee. :)

05-05-pheeleep-symphonica_375.mp3:
starts of peaking my interest but doesnt really go anywhere after a minute.. would make good background music to a FPS though (at least imo :P).. sounds you chose are full and rich sounding..

05-05-Col.G-BrainInjury.mp3:
admit it, you made this up in the shower.. you were just singing along to the thoughts in your head and this is what came out.. the vocals are too low or at least are unintelligible in places.. drums spacing makes them appear louder in my headphones.. the song structure makes it sound a bit comedic instead of serious as your writeup seems to express...

0505-geoffkhan---self_destruct.mp3:
yep, this one is groovin' :) its well done actually.. level is a bit soft though.. makes it sound somewhat passive to my ears. btw your ID3 tag says you wrote this in the year 200... extra points for this.

05-05-Freeztar-SambaDoNoite.mp3:
ehh.. this doesnt blend well to my ears.. very discordant.. drums have too much treble on them.. way too much. very sharp sounding.. strings sound off.. very random feel to this one.. lively though.

05-05-astinine-illudium.mp3:
electric cowboy pop! really like the synthetic lead that comes in about 55 seconds in.. drums are pumping well.. I like the rhythmic feel of this one.. well done instrumental :)

05-05-utm-5ives.mp3:
another well done entry.. vocal parts fit well.. this is in the vein of schoolhouse rock in a more trippy, rhythmic, up-to-date sound.. good mix.. everything is fine. :)

0505_Scamme_corns.mp3:
Not Found
The requested URL /0505_Scamme_corns.mp3 was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at scamme.audioshot.net Port 80

....therefore, I didnt get to listen.

0505-auty-anybody_for_cheesecake_188.mp3:
well you're missing an ID3 tag :P though just between you and me.. I'm gonna let that slide :P lively soundscape you made.. again, this to me sounds like something I'd hear before a beat-heavy FSOL peice. its well done.. all you need is the percussion right after :P :)

0505_j_T_robotic2.mp3:
pseudo daftpunk.. like the squawky 303.. nice uplifting melody on it. not too sure about the bassline though.. pads are ethereal and well done.. all in all good job. :)

05-05-antardhyan-secretplace.mp3:
weatherchannel groove. nahh this one is a bit more serious.. its well put together.. with some vocals this would be even more good stuff. cant say anything is really bad about this entry.. maybe the cut points from scheme to scheme (as I might call them) could be more adapted.. then again I see this is the 'short version' so maybe thats why. you're supposed to make an original 2 minute song though :P

0505_niko_may_i.mp3:
Not Found
The requested URL /kvr/0505_niko_may_i.mp3 was not found on this server.

0505_kazi_simplesentimentalism_485.mp3:
jazzy entry here.. another nicely put together entry.. but my interest isnt kept in this one.. I think its the skittery, thin percussion and the overly loud epiano...

1805-secretingredient-competitioniskillingme_208.mp3:
18th month of 2005??? hmmmm... thats an interesting proposition.
about your entry> well I dont quite know what to think.. its unusual, monotonous, and normally I'd say blah and not like it.. but its somehow really catchy and clever to my ears.. your song has charisma.. :)

0505-thimk_tamk_-_overheat_quantize_237.mp3:
8bit lofi music.. its fun and much better than most of the 8bit music in the actual video games I used to play.. could have used a bit more sonic variation though.. :P

----------

if I missed anyone, you either (a) werent on the markleford radio or (b) your link didnt work for me or (c) I just overlooked your entry.. let me know if you fill into the C part and what a quick review.
Last edited by VitaminD on Tue May 31, 2005 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Peu wrote:
ColG. - Brain Injury
Ok, i really do not like this. It actually does feel like my brain is damaged so perhaps you actually met your goal. The lyrics are hard to decipher so I didn;t really get the emotional content.
I knew some people would not like the song before I submitted it, but thanks for listening.
I could post the lyrics but you really wouldn't like them either, it's just not an everybody type song.
Thanks for your review,
G.
You cant depend on a lot of things
You need a busload of faith to get by.

Coldnews wrote:Col.g - Brain Injury
The only track with a disclaimer. This track reminds me of a mix between someone called The Purple Organ and The Rolling Stones with Mick Jagger being 78 years old. Interesting, but strange.
I have no idea what you are talking about. :)
Purple Organ and a 78 year old Jagger?
Your review is almost as strange as my song.
I am glad you found it interesting though.
Thanks for your review,
G.

seems to me there were no trance entries at all this time around.. probably everyone learned (like I did) that they score low here :hihi:

I must say though that I have to disagree that this month's entries were boring and uninspiring.. some of my favorite entries (and music from kvr in general) to date were this month.

VitaminD wrote: 05-05-antardhyan-secretplace.mp3:
weatherchannel groove. nahh this one is a bit more serious.. its well put together.. with some vocals this would be even more good stuff. cant say anything is really bad about this entry.. maybe the cut points from scheme to scheme (as I might call them) could be more adapted.. then again I see this is the 'short version' so maybe thats why. you're supposed to make an original 2 minute song though :P
Thanks a bunch for your review. Well, the song can be arranged in many different ways. I tried 2-3 versions but loved the one I submitted. Thanks.

M'Snah wrote:Col.G - BrainInjury
An almost bizarre song, but you sure create a strong brain injury mood. A great break, where suddenly everything fits and it rocks, emphasizing the contrast with the other parts.
M'Snah,
Almost bizarre?
It is bizarre. :D
I am glad you said it has a great break. I think I use the doubletime break thing too much. I am going to skip that for a while. But you're right it does work in this song.
Thanks for your review,
G.

knockman wrote: col.g – as you know I love your sense of delivery. If for some godforsaken reason I had to chose just one artist to listen to for the rest of my life it would be david thomas/pere ubu, whose music has lifted me, charged me and fascinated me for years – this track has that same essence, it’s compelling and shocking, funny and beguiling in the right proportions and as with david thomas, you know something true is being told.
Thanks Knockman. I can always count on you to "get" what I am trying to do in my stuff.
And thanks for the comparison, I appreciate it. I look forward to your reviews each month.
G.

Vitamin D,

Thanks for listening to all of the entries with a 56k connection :shock: and for taking the time to comment on all the tracks :) What does FPS mean, please?
Play it by ear

no worries, pheeleep. :) flashgot and markleford's page are friends :hihi:

FPS = first person shooter - think unreal or doom :)

Hampa wrote:Col.G - Brain Injury - Nice drunk guitarr. The drum mixing is pretty out there also.
Hampa, thanks about the guitar. It's harder than it sounds to play the guitar that way, glad you noticed it.
I don't get many comments about my drums. I am really happy that you liked them. Thanks a bunch.
Thanks for listening and for your great review!
G.

Ha, thanks for explaining :) I will take that as a compliment 8) I am more of a "medal of honor" player myself.. :hihi:
Play it by ear

koorby wrote:
Col.G - Brain Injury; Did you recover ok? Weird and wonderful and unique and refreshing.
I am fine Koorby. :D
Glad you liked my song, and for your happy review.
G.

freeztar wrote:Col.G - Is this Primus meets the Colonel? Great producing. I like the meltdown of notes.
Freeztar, the Colonel can melt down notes way better than Primus. :lol:
It's really great to hear you thought the production was great. I think I am finaly learning from you guys.
Thanks for reviewing!
G.

rollasoc wrote:Col G - Brain Injury - Has a sort of live rehearsal feel to this. Not liking the vocals though.
Sometimes I try for the live rehearsal feel.
Ok, I do it all the time. :)
The vocals aren't for everybody I admit. But I decided to give it a shot anyway.
Thanks for listening and for your review.
G.

VitaminD wrote: 0505_niko_may_i.mp3:
Not Found
The requested URL /kvr/0505_niko_may_i.mp3 was not found on this server.
Arrgh, sorry for that, someone incidentally deleted the whole kvr folder :-o
It's back now...

Return to “Music Cafe”