How to get this DnB bass sound? (audio clip included)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I typically have no trouble creating sick DnB patches, but I don't think I have the instrument needed to make the kicking bass in this clip
To me, it sounds like I need a synth with a pitch envelope complicated enough to make the attack like a kick, but leave the sustain open. I'm pretty sure Z3ta+ could do this, but I cannot spend that much. I bet Microtonic can do this, but can you change the pitch of the sounds in it?

Thanks,
Chase

P.S.: Can anyone I.D. this track?

I can't help much on recreating the sound, but if you're looking for a good synth with a pitch envelope, then look no further than z3ta+'s sibling, Triangle II. It's free, so you have nothing to lose...

Chase Altertone wrote:To me, it sounds like I need a synth with a pitch envelope complicated enough to make the attack like a kick, but leave the sustain open.
I can't listen to the clip at the moment, but if I understand you right all you need to do is to take an 808 kick and set the loop region to one waveform cycle. Make sure start and end points are at the beginning and the end of the 808 kick sample.

When you play it, you should hear a kick followed by a deep sine-like tone. When you release the key, it should fade out like a normal 808 kick.

Was that what you meant?

declassified wrote:
Chase Altertone wrote:To me, it sounds like I need a synth with a pitch envelope complicated enough to make the attack like a kick, but leave the sustain open.
I can't listen to the clip at the moment, but if I understand you right all you need to do is to take an 808 kick and set the loop region to one waveform cycle. Make sure start and end points are at the beginning and the end of the 808 kick sample.

When you play it, you should hear a kick followed by a deep sine-like tone. When you release the key, it should fade out like a normal 808 kick.

Was that what you meant?
No. I use to do that for sub bass in Fruityloops 2.0 (and sometimes today). This is a sickly distorted polyphonic bassline.

It sounds to me like it's just your typical dnb hoover sound with a kick drum accenting the notes. I don't think that sound is all coming from one synth.

What was that reFX synth that did all the hoovers? That would be a good place to start. Or find some hoover samples and layer a kick sound on top.

Hope that's helpful at all.

Declassified,

Is that the method they used for all those 808 type basses in the old Jungle tunes? If often wondered if it was just a tuned 808 kick!

tee boy wrote:Declassified,

Is that the method they used for all those 808 type basses in the old Jungle tunes? If often wondered if it was just a tuned 808 kick!
Yes it was.

badpioneer wrote:It sounds to me like it's just your typical dnb hoover sound with a kick drum accenting the notes. I don't think that sound is all coming from one synth.

What was that reFX synth that did all the hoovers? That would be a good place to start. Or find some hoover samples and layer a kick sound on top.

:?: It doesn't sound like a hoover to me at all.

badpioneer wrote: What was that reFX synth that did all the hoovers? That would be a good place to start. Or find some hoover samples and layer a kick sound on top.

I believe it's vaguard. Hoove btw is unison. A bunch of detuned waves.

check out synth1, and download likwid's "database" bank: it has some basses that sound very similar; tweakably close at least. IIRC, you might need to assign a bit of ramp down lfo to the pitch (triggered by key).
..what goes around comes around..

soma wrote:
badpioneer wrote: What was that reFX synth that did all the hoovers? That would be a good place to start. Or find some hoover samples and layer a kick sound on top.

I believe it's vaguard. Hoove btw is unison. A bunch of detuned waves.
Hoover is ususally a very simple sound of 2 detuned ramps and an underlying sub osc (usually a square), and it typically descends in pitch. However, this isn't a hoover (pretty positive).

ouroboros wrote:check out synth1, and download likwid's "database" bank: it has some basses that sound very similar; tweakably close at least. IIRC, you might need to assign a bit of ramp down lfo to the pitch (triggered by key).
Synth 1 is great, but the bass in the clip has a kick-like pitch envelope. The Synth 1 pitch envelope isn't nearly complicated enough, and it can only tune the 2nd oscillator.

Have you tried Likwid's bank? you might be surprised. It is pretty easy to get a kick envelope using the master envelope parameter which applies over both oscillators. Seriously, try it and let me know. There is one patch in particular that, maybe layered twice (no cpu hit at all) would be huge.

ouroboros wrote:It is pretty easy to get a kick envelope using the master envelope parameter which applies over both oscillators.
How? I only see Attack/decay and a control over osc 2 in the m. env section.

the trick is to use the A or D well. Generally attack at a 9-12 o'clock at a high amount. It works, depending on the patch (because you can actually use the decay envelope on some), modulating either the pitch of osc 2 or the FM amount (1/2 modulation). The fast, deep modulation of these parameters creates the "click" part of the kick/bass, with a rapid return to deeper base sound. I will try and upload a patch and sample later - gotta run for abit. Oh, and admittedly, the click is hard to tune just right: compression always helps. Layer 2 instances together, or even better switch to poly and play 2 notes one octave apart.

Return to “Production Techniques”