A big ol' steamin vat of polyrhythms

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

this is excellent man. interesting to hear it with synthesizers. i'm turkish so i'm very close to the area's music. i read your post at audiotorium but i have no idea what you're talking about :oops:. lack of technicality on my part. but for future reference, you could listen to any gypsy music that involves a hammered dulcimer (cymbalom). it will surely broaden your view on how this type of thing can be done.

tuz wrote:this is excellent man. interesting to hear it with synthesizers. i'm turkish so i'm very close to the area's music. i read your post at audiotorium but i have no idea what you're talking about :oops:. lack of technicality on my part. but for future reference, you could listen to any gypsy music that involves a hammered dulcimer (cymbalom). it will surely broaden your view on how this type of thing can be done.
glad you liked it.

I am afraid that my knowledge of 'bulgarian' rhythm is mostly limited to Bartok.

His 'Mikrokosmos' contains several pieces called "Dance in Bulgarian rhythm".

Some are in a sort of 9 (2+2+2+3) and some in a sort of 7 (2+2+3).

The latter is what this peice is 'against'.

you should definitely add to this. would love to hear it orchestrated. :D

stick one of those jon bonham outtakes to it.

fateamenabletochange wrote:stick one of those jon bonham outtakes to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

herodotus wrote:
fateamenabletochange wrote:stick one of those jon bonham outtakes to it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, and then overlay it with some of that intelligent rap that I keep hearing about, but never actually hear. :)

Seriously though, I do like this quite a bit. I find myself liking quite a lot of your material. :wink:

take care,
McLilith

McLilith wrote:
Seriously though, I do like this quite a bit. I find myself liking quite a lot of your material. :wink:

Why thank you sir!

Glad you liked it.

definitely interesting...i kept waiting for the dance rhythms to kick in...i admit i got hooked to this from polyrhythms in the subject expecting some kinda' afropop...i'm hearing some female vocal ululations above this, among other things.......and maybe a low droning bass???
coolpillows
if u want to know where the name comes from, go 2 http://www.coolpillows.com

coolpillows wrote:definitely interesting...i kept waiting for the dance rhythms to kick in...i admit i got hooked to this from polyrhythms in the subject expecting some kinda' afropop...i'm hearing some female vocal ululations above this, among other things.......and maybe a low droning bass???
I am glad you liked it.

Something like what you are describing is a long contemplated project of mine.

My entry in this months contest is something like you describe.

Thanks for listening!

This is intense Herodotus, and beyond my technical skills. I have to ask; do you hear these rhthyms, imagining them first, or do they emerge from a simpler set of rules that guide the creation? Cool stuff. :)
..what goes around comes around..

ouroboros wrote:This is intense Herodotus, and beyond my technical skills. I have to ask; do you hear these rhthyms, imagining them first, or do they emerge from a simpler set of rules that guide the creation? Cool stuff. :)
The set of rules is the basic arithmetic structure that dictates that x repetitions of a meter with y beats is precisely equivalent to y repetitions of a meter with x beats

After that its just a matter of picking familiar patterns and lining them up.

The hard part in a piece like this (for me at least) lies not in the rhythm but in the harmony. My early attempts at this stuff were really really dissonant. And not in a good way.

Glad you liked it.

Thanks for listening!

Oh, what the hell.

unusual, some great melodies in here..... rolling off a bit of the cutoff (possibly on an lfo) might give it a bit more seperation as would some auto panning.

cool tho.

steve.

ps. deep strings would sound cool......

blaster78 wrote:unusual, some great melodies in here..... rolling off a bit of the cutoff (possibly on an lfo) might give it a bit more seperation as would some auto panning.

cool tho.

steve.

ps. deep strings would sound cool......
Thanks for listening!

And pleased to meet you!

Return to “Music Cafe”