Free FM Synthesizer Dexed (VST Windows and Mac)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dexed

THK wrote:
toothnclaw wrote:Please stay focused! This is the place to start, and go from there:
propellerheads.PX7.png
i tried to stay focused on what's already there :wink:
layzer wrote:
THK wrote: ugly copy and paste sketch:
dexedrearrangedgui.jpg
too much empty space, knobs are too small and the rocker switches look silly. they should be simple luminated pushbuttons.
sure ... that was just a suggestion. i quickly copied and pasted existing blocks. a lot of optimizations would be necessary.
It can be optimized but I think it's a nice disposition for the understanding of a patch. It is very logical.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

layzer wrote:Image
God NOOOOOOO! for toddlers perhaps though......
Background should be a light greenish blue and DEXED should be in the Miami Vice font but we're getting there.

Maybe a flamingo in the background?

Heey mate, if youuu're cooool, we'd loîke this in thô bockground:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Any word on the AU?

sorry but for me the main Dexed UI for 1.0 is done. Next step is the cartridge browser and engine tuning. I think those two elements are more important than a redesign of the UI. Once 1.0 is release and AZZZ is available, sure why not...

AU will be working once 0.8.1 gets release by the end of the years/begining of the year. Sorry, I've been busy with other projects (and Max 7 has just been released :hyper: )....

A request for v1.0,

LFO sync to host BPM (with selectable clock division).

I know this deviates slightly from your quest to a pure emulation, but certainly many would find it useful!

Thanks,

Peter

EDIT: Never mind I made the mistake of using FL Studio............ :lol:

Anyway I've imported the syx file that was in my TX7 when I sold it some years ago which contains some of my original patches. Dexed has done a really good job of importing these patches and they sound pretty much as intended. Much better import ( of this file anyway) than FM8................. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

FM8 is not a good model of DX7 and such in my opinion, they didn't go deep enough in the modelling. Dexed on the other hand is almost there and getting better
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

penguinfromdeep wrote:FM8 is not a good model of DX7 and such in my opinion, they didn't go deep enough in the modelling.
That is precisely what happens when you broaden the scope of an emulation to cover several models instead of just one.

Another bad thing about FM8 is rearranging imported .syx presets.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

penguinfromdeep wrote:FM8 is not a good model of DX7 and such in my opinion, they didn't go deep enough in the modelling. Dexed on the other hand is almost there and getting better
Just exactly where didn't they go "deep enough" ?

They took the DX7 and expanded it's power a great deal....that's going a lot deeper than not bothering to model the noise and other crap from the DX7. FM8's ability to read and properly convert original DX patches is lacking to some degree but it's sound goes miles beyond the original.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
penguinfromdeep wrote:FM8 is not a good model of DX7 and such in my opinion, they didn't go deep enough in the modelling. Dexed on the other hand is almost there and getting better
Just exactly where didn't they go "deep enough" ?

They took the DX7 and expanded it's power a great deal....that's going a lot deeper than not bothering to model the noise and other crap from the DX7. FM8's ability to read and properly convert original DX patches is lacking to some degree but it's sound goes miles beyond the original.
I totally agree with you.
I observe that it seems to have become common, when liking a synth... to spit on another one, as if it was necessary to like only one and criticize the other one. Is it so hard to like several synths sharing a same feature? I like a lot Dexed, and I like a lot FM8. Both have the focus to emulate the DX7 as a start point for other improvements. Both don't do this emulation the same way, but both have great efficiency in that feature. I applause both as well.

I have yet to come across an instrument that can show that such and such is teh bestest vst evah!!!!

Until then I like me my lotus flower approach.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

BlackWinny wrote: I applause both as well.
Yes I like Dexed and FM8 both...... :)
trimph1 wrote:I have yet to come across an instrument that can show that such and such is teh bestest vst evah!!!!
That's like saying what's the best pair of shoes......if you're bowling then a pair of golf shoes aren't going to be much good....... :hihi:

I also like both Dexed and FM8. Dexed is the newest synth in my collection. It is really a very good synth. Some patches shocked me how really good they are especially the vibraphone like or percussions, which seemed to me much deeper and bigger than FM8 or any other synth! And with that even less than 1% cpu usage :clap: I remember some similar patches from other synths easily reach 20% of the cpu!

I like a lot also the Brass and woodwind instruments. The pads are not on par, but I still have tons of presets to hear and play around. Oh and I like the GUI a lot. Very nice done, both colours and design :tu: I sure want to donate a modest amount to the developer, but I went to the website and found only an Album to buy. I hoped there is a donation button specific to the synth, or will it be a commercial release of version 1?

Anyway, that won't stop me from buying FM8 (again!!) because I still miss other functions. I'm also thinking of PX7 for Reason. How do you compare Dexed to PX7? or indeed PX7 to Dexed?

Unfortunately, I already had my one month done with the PX7 demo months ago. I couldn't decide also that time if I want to buy PX7 or not, but now there is a discount and I thought to have it. Back then when I demoed it, I didn't feel it sounds so "deep" but not thin either. I might be wrong because I didn't spend enough time with it.
If PX7 sounds the same level as Dexed, I would buy it because sometimes I want to stay inside Reason only without ReWire.

EnGee wrote:The pads are not on par,
Keep in mind that Dexed is emulating 30 year old digital technology so most of it's sounds have been surpassed over the years. When I bought my TX7 then DX7 back when they were first on the market we thought those sounds were out of this world amazing. Now ehhhh many of them are pretty weak in comparison to what's available today. To me the Tubular Bells sound is really the only patch from the DX that remains fresh. It along with some tine pianos, plucked, bass sounds and a few FX are the only ones worth keeping. I think you could fill up a bank of 128 "best of" DX patches but would be hard pressed to find many more worth keeping. My opinion of course.......... :)

Return to “Instruments”