PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

Nice work on the note off fix for FL Studio. Thanks for the continued work on this :tu:

I have a question regarding the loading of presets. When I load (Say) Bank 1 of presets it goes to patch 32 and not patch 1 first. Is this a bug ?
I am using the patches provided on your dropbox page.

Maomoondog wrote:Nice work on the note off fix for FL Studio. Thanks for the continued work on this :tu:

I have a question regarding the loading of presets. When I load (Say) Bank 1 of presets it goes to patch 32 and not patch 1 first. Is this a bug ?
Those banks should fill the presets 1 to 32. I have not yet tested thoroughly in FL. Need to try this later. FL seems to make some more problems, such as the rendering which is not yet working in FL.

Maomoondog wrote: I have a question regarding the loading of presets. When I load (Say) Bank 1 of presets it goes to patch 32 and not patch 1 first. Is this a bug ?
I've noticed the same thing, the preset (syx) banks always opening with the last preset selected. When they are saved as FXB from the Save dialog or via host, then they seem to load back with the currently chosen preset position selected. Eg. if I currently have the 5th preset selected, loading in another bank will have the 5th preset from that one selected.

Presets cannot be saved as syx from the GUI Save dialog, nothing gets saved. Maybe this hasn't been worked out yet or is not meant to work? Also, trying to open any of the JX10BNK syx-files will hang the host (Reaper x64 in my case).

subterfuge wrote:
Maomoondog wrote: I have a question regarding the loading of presets. When I load (Say) Bank 1 of presets it goes to patch 32 and not patch 1 first. Is this a bug ?
I've noticed the same thing, the preset (syx) banks always opening with the last preset selected. When they are saved as FXB from the Save dialog or via host, then they seem to load back with the currently chosen preset position selected. Eg. if I currently have the 5th preset selected, loading in another bank will have the 5th preset from that one selected.

Presets cannot be saved as syx from the GUI Save dialog, nothing gets saved. Maybe this hasn't been worked out yet or is not meant to work? Also, trying to open any of the JX10BNK syx-files will hang the host (Reaper x64 in my case).
Tha JX8P banks are are not 'real' banks. A bank sysex dump is not supported by the hardware. Instead, the banks contain a sequence of preset sysex dumps, which go into the current preset, followed by a sysex instruction to write this preset into a certain slot In the bank. So, when the whole sequence of preset loads and writes is finished, the last saved preset will be the active one, in this case, this is 32. The other should be in the bank. And you can access them by clicking on the programme number.

The Jx10 banks are in a different format, which is not yet supported. I will work on that in the future.

Writing of sysex, as well as support of fxp files is not yet supported.

Martin

Thanks for the reply Martin. I figured syx files were a bit different case at least right now, what I didn't know was that JX10 files were not compatible yet.

Saving a preset as a .txt file seems to be a handy way to export the current preset settings which can then be read like any text file. But trying to import a given preset xxx.txt file doesn't do anything. Does the drop down box just happen to list the same available types as with save (fxp/fxb/syx/txt) or are there plans to do something with these .txt files upon load also?

Nitpick: There's also another line in the dropdown box for both Save and Load types which reads "X$KEü".

subterfuge wrote:Thanks for the reply Martin. I figured syx files were a bit different case at least right now, what I didn't know was that JX10 files were not compatible yet.

Saving a preset as a .txt file seems to be a handy way to export the current preset settings which can then be read like any text file. But trying to import a given preset xxx.txt file doesn't do anything. Does the drop down box just happen to list the same available types as with save (fxp/fxb/syx/txt) or are there plans to do something with these .txt files upon load also?

Nitpick: There's also another line in the dropdown box for both Save and Load types which reads "X$KEü".
The whole file handling thing is still very much work in progress, and very patchy at the moment. the *.txt thing was more of a debugging tool. Not sure whether I keep it. If so, I will also enable reading such files.

That strange line in the menu, does that appear as one of the patch names, of in the top level menu? Is it in the plugin's menu or the host's menu?

Martin

martin_l wrote: The whole file handling thing is still very much work in progress, and very patchy at the moment. the *.txt thing was more of a debugging tool. Not sure whether I keep it. If so, I will also enable reading such files.
Ok, thanks Martin.
That strange line in the menu, does that appear as one of the patch names, of in the top level menu? Is it in the plugin's menu or the host's menu?
Martin
They're in the dropdown boxes of the the Load and Save dialogs when those buttons are used. Win8.1 if that makes any difference.

Also, if using the host preset management (Reaper), some JX8PBNK02.SYX preset names show odd characters. The PG-8X display seems to show them correct. Only a problem with said bank, not with the others. Not saying this is necessarily a PG-8X problem, just fyi.

i'm seeing some little boxes in the preset select menu..... perhaps undefined characters in XP??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:i'm seeing some little boxes in the preset select menu..... perhaps undefined characters in XP??
Same here. Running Windows 8.1

I tried the last version (15.05) briefly today, in Windows XP 32-bit, inside Vst Host, and I immediately noticed that Osc 2 is detuned from Osc 1 by 2 cents (I mean, when they are boith at zero, there is a detuning between the two Oscs, which only disappears when we detune Osc 2 up bt 2 in Fine Tune). Is this intentional?
Fernando (FMR)

Yeager wrote:
martin_l wrote:New files uploaded (*-15-05.*) which should hopefully fix the detune bug, the portamento bug, the FL note-off bug and introduce LFO delay.
Note off bug solved, portamento is just weird, some high chirping noise :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/862 ... g81505.mp3

First PG8x-102a then PG8 -1505.

Does the new one roll of some high Frequencies ?

Chorus is getting closer.
Portamento is very strange:

Try any INIT patch, portamento 99 ... play a melody..any melody in poly mono or uni mode, let your family guess what you played .. a fun night for all !!

Yeager wrote:
Yeager wrote:
martin_l wrote:New files uploaded (*-15-05.*) which should hopefully fix the detune bug, the portamento bug, the FL note-off bug and introduce LFO delay.
Note off bug solved, portamento is just weird, some high chirping noise :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/862 ... g81505.mp3

First PG8x-102a then PG8 -1505.

Does the new one roll of some high Frequencies ?

Chorus is getting closer.
Portamento is very strange:

Try any INIT patch, portamento 99 ... play a melody..any melody in poly mono or uni mode, let your family guess what you played .. a fun night for all !!
Need to do some more checks, but in poly mode, portamento is also behaving not always as expected on the original.

New versions uploaded (*-22-05*).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m636vgxhta9e ... _Rve/PG-8X

Should hopefully fix some bugs (strange characters in menu, broken pitch bend and modulation).

New features:

Reading and Writing of fxp files.
Buttons to step one programme back or forward,
Button to reset current patch to default.
Button to randomize current patch.
Programme menu item to "rotate" banks: this helps to load more sysex banks, as it moves presets 1-32 to 33-64, and so on.

NOTE: changed parameters are NOT saved by default unless the patch is written!

Further note that the MIDI settings panel is not yet implemented (you will just see an empty panel).
Also the GUI is not finished, and sending of SysEx is not yet implemented.

As usual, please let me know of any bugs

martin_l wrote: NOTE: changed parameters are NOT saved by default unless the patch is written!
You're breaking the VST spec there. Current state of all patch/programs is supposed to be storable/retrievable by the host. If you wanted to have some feature where you could overwrite the default, built-in bank then the Write function could make sense for that.

[Edit: I just tested it and that's not the case. The current settings were correctly restored with the host project and I never went near PG8X's Write button. Good!]

AdmiralQuality wrote:
martin_l wrote: NOTE: changed parameters are NOT saved by default unless the patch is written!
You're breaking the VST spec there. Current state of all patch/programs is supposed to be storable/retrievable by the host. If you wanted to have some feature where you could overwrite the default, built-in bank then the Write function could make sense for that.

[Edit: I just tested it and that's not the case. The current settings were correctly restored with the host project and I never went near PG8X's Write button. Good!]
Yes, I phrased that badly. The current state should be saved by the host when saving the project.

The patch architecture of the PG8X is that there is the current patch, and the bank of 128 presets. When changing parameters of the current patch, they are not automatically saved into the preset bank, but they will be saved as the VST state.

In order to save them into the preset bank, one needs to explicitly WRITE them (either to the current slot by right clicking) or by left click on WRITE, then selecting the target preset, and left clicking WRITE again.

A proper documentation of that will follow with the official (non-beta) release.

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”