PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

martin_l wrote:Dear all,

before the next release, I am trying to iron out all issues which have been reported.

One thing I am struggling with, and where I would appreciate some help is a reported problem with Cubase SX3 on Win XP-Sp3.

The pg-8x does show up in the plugin-organizer, but when trying to load it into the VST-rack, it does not show up.

I don't have Cubase, and there doesn't seem to be a demo. Could anybody with that system configuration let me know whether you get it to work?

Cheers,
Martin
Hi Martin. It is true. He does not work in Cubase SX3 with Windows XP SP3. Also Windows 7 32. When loading a syx Cubase crashes.
Regards
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Iu Gob wrote:
Hi Martin. It is true. He does not work in Cubase SX3 with Windows XP SP3. Also Windows 7 32. When loading a syx Cubase crashes.
Regards
Thanks,

But that sounds again different. It seems that for you the pkugin loads, but crashes when loading a sysex. In his case, it does not load into the VST rack at all.

There is definitely something wrong going on in the plugin.

Do you get any further information, like a crash report?

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote:
Iu Gob wrote:

Do you get any further information, like a crash report?

Cheers,
Martin
Thank you for your interest in the problem. The plugin is loaded initially good. But shortly after opening the interface or load a syx, Cubase crashes. I send a private message with more information.
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Martin, I have Cubase 7 and for the OSC I had to use the version (4/27) prior to this because, for whatever reason, Cubase doesn't recognize the dll as a dll and doesn't display it when I go to pull up my instruments. Oddest thing I've ever seen.

I'm sorry but how to load fxb. into this synth? It looks like it can't read fxb. files. :/
The Analog Recreation bank i found on KVR is also a fxb. file.

klockhaus wrote:I'm sorry but how to load fxb. into this synth? It looks like it can't read fxb. files. :/
if your DAW can't load/save fxp/fxb files, try using something like savihost to open them, then save them in the PG8x format from the synths save panel button...from then on you can open the .pg8xbank file in your daw from the pg8x load button.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

klockhaus wrote:I'm sorry but how to load fxb. into this synth? It looks like it can't read fxb. files. :/
OK. Sorry, this is a misleading point. The new version does not use *.fxb files for saving patches. If you found *.fxb files on the net, they are for the old SynthEdit version, and cannot be loaded directly into the new version.

Cheers,
Martin

Just stumbled across this from the Bedroom Producer's Blog - amazing! By far the warmest and most authentically 80s sounding synth I've used to date, including commercial plugins. Excellent work dude.

One quick question (and sorry if it's been answered) - is there a way to set a default patch bank on plugin load? I mean as it is it remembers the preset directory so sounds are only ever one or two clicks away, so it's not a huge deal. Just wondered :)

Anyway great stuff again. I'll be working with this over the weekend, maybe try and put a little something together with it!
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

Is that synth finished by now? 8)

Last I remember ADSR envelopes were still being tweaked to match JX8P, but for the most part its done.

Only thing I would want to see Polyphony permanently displayed on Main page instead of hidden behind a secondary page.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

chimp_spanner wrote:Just stumbled across this from the Bedroom Producer's Blog - amazing! By far the warmest and most authentically 80s sounding synth I've used to date, including commercial plugins. Excellent work dude

Anyway great stuff again. I'll be working with this over the weekend, maybe try and put a little something together with it!
You may be interested in the recent One Synth Challenge here on KVR. OSC #75 featured the PG8x and resulted in 60 entries! Lots of good and very creative music made using only the PG8x:

https://archive.org/details/OSC75PG8X

:phones:
바보

Hello! First off, one big thank your for allowing us to use this plugin.

I just tried your synth next to my Jx-8p and while I am still trying to compare the finer details in the sound (for curiosity's sake) and while it does come close, I believe that the JX default setting of 0 at the HPF gives the sound a bass boost. In any case, the real JX seems a bit beefier on the bass side.

This has been confirmed on the Juno series and since they share similar technology, I believe the JX also does it.

I have added a bit of EQ on the low range of an init one osc saw patch on your plugin and then the sound really comes close when A/B. The HPF setting of 1 is supposed to be straight thru.

In my opinion, this is what give the JX some of it's flavor. I am yet to study your filter and chorus which are and important part but at this time believe them to be quite nice.

Thanks and cheers!

Hi, I have an issue with Midi Learn in the latest betas. host crashes as I assign a control in Reaper

crashes occur with:
PG8X_2015-04-29
PG8X_debug.dll

works fine with:
PG8X_2015-04-26.dll
and with older GUI's versions from 2014 & prior.

btw thanks for this great synth :tu:

Yes.

Unfortunately, MidiLearn is completely broken and messed up at the moment.
I am currently rewriting that part (hoping that I can maintain patch and automation compatibility with previous versions...)

Cheers,
Martin

yul wrote:Hello! First off, one big thank your for allowing us to use this plugin.

I just tried your synth next to my Jx-8p and while I am still trying to compare the finer details in the sound (for curiosity's sake) and while it does come close, I believe that the JX default setting of 0 at the HPF gives the sound a bass boost. In any case, the real JX seems a bit beefier on the bass side.

This has been confirmed on the Juno series and since they share similar technology, I believe the JX also does it.

I have added a bit of EQ on the low range of an init one osc saw patch on your plugin and then the sound really comes close when A/B. The HPF setting of 1 is supposed to be straight thru.

In my opinion, this is what give the JX some of it's flavor. I am yet to study your filter and chorus which are and important part but at this time believe them to be quite nice.

Thanks and cheers!
You are correct. HPF=0 does give a bass boost, HPF=1 is flat and the others give a HPF.

I have the boost implemented, but might have to tweek the levels a bit.
Compared to my hardware, they were already pretty close.

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”