Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:Wouldn't it be nice - for the developer too - if those who are re-skinning the instrument were allowed to make the reskinned versions available (from the dev's website, too)? Do you think that would be possible? Not everybody can hack a gui, and having the different versions would make the instrument even more appealing to people...

If I was the developer I would be happy that my product was getting a lot of attention. If it was me I would care less if they wanted to customize it to make it more personal.

Not speaking for the developer though...

Charlatan kicks some serious but.

well, charlatan dev never showed a bit of interest in changing the looks of it throughout this entire thread, so DIY personalization might be the only means to do so.

i contacted the digits dude about making digits with my skin available on his site almost a year ago. he still hasn't opened the email! go figure! :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

maybe they have not liked any of the skins. :hihi:

BTW, I'm trying to make my own skin. :oops:

great synth. thanks to 'blaukraut'!

I'm working on something... eh... yellow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

alvfaria wrote:I'm working on something... eh... yellow! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:box: :hihi:

I like yellow! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alvfaria wrote:I like yellow! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I could say somthing with your shading is wrong ! :wink:

But no ! :box: :box: :box:

:hihi:

I'm not trying to be realistic. And it isn't near to be finished.

DuX wrote:Referring to me? :) Have you ever tried Voxengo's "Insert"? Try it and then comment. Or maybe you're referring to my comments about noise? What is it *you* are talking about?

When you comment, it is advisable to be kinda more elaborate, you know?

Not just "you suck, haha, your brain is my footstool" How old are you? :oops: [that was rhetorical q, you can be 50 and still "weird" :roll:...]
1. care to elaborate how the plugin "insert" from voxengo is acessable? i can't seem to find it on the website...

2. you're completely right. phase alterations are mostly handelled very stepmotherly by most developers, yet they're as important for sound in general as frequency itself, as phase relationships change the frequency behaviour in relation to the perceived time of the sound drastically, when applied only to a certain frequency range.
moreover it can't be said often enough, that in a lot old mojo analogs exacly the "wrong" phase on certain frequencies does the big part of the mojo. be it eq's, compressors, limiters or even gainstages (even old tubes do that, it's called tube lag). transistors shift the phase, resistors gain it back again, and that's what happens a lot back and forth in a lot of analog units - and by shifting and gainig back the phase, when done often, there's phase ripples introduced on different parts of the frequency range. this is clearly audible, and in a lot of cases it actually brings benefit to the sound. quite some analog developers are choosing wisely on the components they use regading to just that fact - they want a certain phase behaviour on the signal, as, if done right, it just sounds better to the human ear. not to talk about the fact, that such a phase-treated signal sounds different, when saturated. that's why saturation is only one part of the game, and often doesn't provide the desired result, when used isolated...

now, the reason why it is handelled so stepmotherly is simple:
back in the analog days, it was actually nearly impossible, to realize a flat phase. as all the components used were doing the phase smear to a certain extend in relation to each other. it was desirable to avoid this phase smearing as good as could be done, in order to not run into _serious_ phase problems, as this smearing adds up to an unwanted amount, if you work fully analog.
but nowadays, where everything is digital (in digital phase smearing doesn't oocour in such an amount as in analog units), this smearing comes back into the game, as, when completely leaving out the phase smearing, you won't achieve that kind of analog-like mojo sound...

so, to sum it up, that phase smearing is very often one of the reasons why some analog tracks sound so good. and be it just for the dolby nr on the studer tape machines, that actually was there to surpress the hiss on the tape. but what it does additionally, it smears the phase on the treated signal while companding it, and exactly the combination of companding and phase alteration did the great, silky smooth high end on such tracks.
so all in all, we have to get rid of the dogma "don't ever change the phase", as it was prayed like a mandala in the old, analog days. actually, the opposite is the case. also quite some desired analog synths get their mystic sound a lot from a certain phase relation of the osc waveform...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

You've nailed it completely, what I wanted to say, Brok. ;) "Insert" makes sounds so much more lively. It's like going through a summing box, or some external hardware. I don't use it for all sounds, though. just the ones that have to be in background, and all around. :) I also keep the Insert at 0 most of the time, since it's already enough to make the sound go "3D". Just when I really want the sound to be "4D" [not just 3D :)] I bring the "modulation" up. Try it on a mono source... it's too much for a bass kick, IMO, but for a bass guitar it can make wonders, and for pads it's the holy excrements!

The Voxengo Insert plugin is available as part of the Analogflux suite. It's a lovely "suite", very usable. No regrets at all there. Even the Impulse thingie is very usable for amp and gear impulses [in a Nebula kinda way], so you don't have to load a RAM and CPU consuming favourite convolution processor, like Nebula. I trust Aleksey 100% on his tools to be excellent, and they are. ;)

I mean R8Brain is still my go to sample conversion program. He made it free. It's better than Weiss sample converter that costs at least your kidney. :)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

...might you please consider separating the filter as a VST on its own?

Debutante wrote:...might you please consider separating the filter as a VST on its own?
See here (it's called "bkModFilter"):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369138
including additional filter types!

...moved

Thanks for the synth,

Many kind blessings ahead,

Trav :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Instruments”