Steinberg Retrologue

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark Retrologue

There are also lots of presets for various sections such as that resonator thingy, and one can save one's own. I assume that due to those different types of presets the built-in patch manager and its paths is the only one that works correctly.

What I also like is mouse wheel operation, but the value readouts are tiny, can't read any of those...

EnGee wrote: When I click "Buy now" and choose "Update from Retrologue", it doesn't show the USB dongle. Only for the other two options.
Anyway, I've just checked My Steinberg, and it seems the same, I can't activate it on more than one machine. Now, I know the only solution is to buy the usb dongle, but that is $59 NZD here!! and the update is $82 NZD, so the total is $141 NZD !!! No thanks!
I might change my mind if they do it like before and support the activation on soft e-licenser in more than one machine, but I doubt it! So, I will save my money for another synth not with such protection.
So even if the upgrade does only require the soft e-licenser not a hardware dongle I won't be able to move the license from this computer (my old studio computer) to my new studio computer ?

Hmmm so the upgrade to version 2 is the same price as I paid for version 1......I will have to install the e-licenser on my studio computer for just the one plugin and even then it may not work or may require jumping through hoops to move a simple license from one pc to another.

Sorry Steinberg.....I'll pass on the upgrade. When a plugin becomes more trouble than it's worth just to authorize it's not a hard decision........ :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I am currently creating a pad sound taht involves the Resonator and found you could get great results when using a "Mix" amount at the Reonator ar around 60-70% (or other mix amounts below 100%). This gives the impression of a layer of two different sounds while actually it mixes the output of the filter with the output of the Resonator (which actually is actually results from the filter and Resonator in series...) which usually could sound totally different from each other.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Yes, the resonator is a really nice Addition. Now you can create choir sounds, or do phaser like effects, or use it as multimode filter. Really raises the sound design options.

Teksonik wrote:
EnGee wrote: When I click "Buy now" and choose "Update from Retrologue", it doesn't show the USB dongle. Only for the other two options.
Anyway, I've just checked My Steinberg, and it seems the same, I can't activate it on more than one machine. Now, I know the only solution is to buy the usb dongle, but that is $59 NZD here!! and the update is $82 NZD, so the total is $141 NZD !!! No thanks!
I might change my mind if they do it like before and support the activation on soft e-licenser in more than one machine, but I doubt it! So, I will save my money for another synth not with such protection.
So even if the upgrade does only require the soft e-licenser not a hardware dongle I won't be able to move the license from this computer (my old studio computer) to my new studio computer ?

Hmmm so the upgrade to version 2 is the same price as I paid for version 1......I will have to install the e-licenser on my studio computer for just the one plugin and even then it may not work or may require jumping through hoops to move a simple license from one pc to another.

Sorry Steinberg.....I'll pass on the upgrade. When a plugin becomes more trouble than it's worth just to authorize it's not a hard decision........ :shrug:
I believe you can move the license from a soft e-licenser to a USB e-licenser (it's just a matter of drag and drop from one into the other). That way, you'll be able to use anywhere you want.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: I believe you can move the license from a soft e-licenser to a USB e-licenser (it's just a matter of drag and drop from one into the other). That way, you'll be able to use anywhere you want.
I don't own a USB dongle....nor would I purchase one just for the Retrologue update (and I'd still have to install the e-licenser software according to what I've read at Steinberg). Just not worth it..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: So even if the upgrade does only require the soft e-licenser not a hardware dongle I won't be able to move the license from this computer (my old studio computer) to my new studio computer ?
I really don't know about that. I thought you could deactivate it in the old one and activate it in the new one!

If you just want to move the license, I suggest to ask the support if it is possible. For me even if it's possible, I won't buy it because I want to be able to run it in 2 computers without purchasing a usb dongle.

The features are great now, but sound-wise I prefer Sylenth, it sounds more direct and intense for some reason. I loaded the init patches on both (they are almost identical) and set the volume on both so that they are exactly the same according to the DAW mixer meter. Still, Sylenth sounds clearly more intense and powerful. Retrologue sounds flatter and less defined in my view, which might be better for some people, worse for others.

Add to that the license dongle and I think I will pass on Retrologue. It has lots of new stuff, but I don't really need a zillion filter options. At the end of the day all I use is a 24db LP, on rare occasions a 12db LP 8)
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote: I think I will pass on Retrologue.
Yeah, same here. It's just not tempting enough for the upgrade price. Would have been a no-brainer for 19 €, but as i already paid 49 € new for it, the features just don't cut it for me to justify to shell out the same money i bought it for again. Still a very cool synth for all users of Cubase big versions.

EnGee wrote:I really don't know about that.
That's the problem I don't think anybody really knows. Anyway while Retrologue is a nice honest VA and I was a big fan when I first purchased version 1 it no longer holds enough appeal even with the update to bother installing (yet another) e-licenser and faffing about with moving a license etc.

With a simple serial number even at the rather steep upgrade price in relation to the original price I'd probably jump on it just for giggles but as I said before it's now more work than reward.

I already own DIVA, LuSH101, Vacuum Pro, etc etc so Retro 2 just doesn't bring enough bang to justify the bother....:shrug:

chk071 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: I think I will pass on Retrologue.
Yeah, same here. It's just not tempting enough for the upgrade price. Would have been a no-brainer for 19 €, but as i already paid 49 € new for it, the features just don't cut it for me to justify to shell out the same money i bought it for again. Still a very cool synth for all users of Cubase big versions.
Steinberg just doesn't deliver enough value for their upgrade prices. I upgraded to 7.5 on a special some time back and it wasn't too bad and I like some of the features, but, I've used it much less than I thought. But the features in 7.5 were a real upgrade, 8 seemed lackluster to me and 8.5 even more so. Maybe I'll upgrade on a special at version 9 or 10. Who knows, maybe they'll blow me away.

$49 to upgrade a synth is just silly. It's an alsoran analogue emulation, I wouldn't even buy the thing if it didn't come with cubase.

Teksonik wrote: With a simple serial number even at the rather steep upgrade price in relation to the original price I'd probably jump on it just for giggles but as I said before it's now more work than reward.

I already own DIVA, LuSH101, Vacuum Pro, etc etc so Retro 2 just doesn't bring enough bang to justify the bother....:shrug:
I have Vacuum Pro and some other similar synths but I don't have LuSH101 or Diva.
Anyway, after I installed Bazille in my laptop and saw how painless to run it (it's the best looking at synth in my laptop because the screen is FHD with 15.6", so at 130% size, it fits perfect). So, I decided to buy Diva next for those Jupiter pads ;)

EnGee wrote:
Teksonik wrote: With a simple serial number even at the rather steep upgrade price in relation to the original price I'd probably jump on it just for giggles but as I said before it's now more work than reward.

I have Vacuum Pro and some other similar synths but I don't have LuSH101 or Diva.
Anyway, after I installed Bazille in my laptop and saw how painless to run it (it's the best looking at synth in my laptop because the screen is FHD with 15.6", so at 130% size, it fits perfect). So, I decided to buy Diva next for those Jupiter pads ;)
Once you get Diva, you'll forget completely about retrologue.

ghettosynth wrote:
EnGee wrote:

Good :) It means I'm in the right track.
Actually I thought of Diva because I can't afford KingKorg ;) But one hard synth (Blofeld) is enough with powerful soft synths :cool:

ghettosynth wrote:
EnGee wrote:

Depends on what you want to do with it. While Diva is great at what it does Retrologue offers a lot that is not possible with Diva. If all features you need are included with Diva then it's indeed better. In terms of sound quality it's hard to beat Diva. Besides that you also have to consider that Retrolgue 2 for similar patches uses a LOT less CPU than Diva.

Independent of different modules the filter modes in Diva are:
- 24dB LPF
- 12dB LPF
- 24dB HPF
- 12dB HPF
- 24dB BPF
- 12dB BPF
- 12dB Notch

With the HPF/LPF combinations (for all filter modules except Minimoog) you also got a highly flexible BP filter with an adjustable frequency range.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”