Is there a serious competitor to GSI VB3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VB3

I'm pretty sure that BlueCat's "PatchWork" will let you load up the 64bit version of VB3 into 64 bit Mac. . . :)
Can someone verify this for us, please?
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Brother Charles wrote:I'm pretty sure that BlueCat's "PatchWork" will let you load up the 64bit version of VB3 into 64 bit Mac. . . :)
Can someone verify this for us, please?
What 64-bit version of VB3?.. We are still waiting for that on Mac ;).
Best bet, if you don't have 32Lives (the equivalent of not quite four cats? :P ), as far as I can see, would be PatchWork (or MetaPlugin, or Plogue Budule) loaded with jBridgeM, itself running VB3.vst 32-bit.
I've just tried it with PatchWork, and it does load and play ok, but VB3's GUI is dead (fortunately, I have a N.I.B4D, and it does pilot the VB3's drawbars etc. ok).
EDIT: In fact the GUI does work, inasmuch as you can use the mouse on the drawbars etc, but they don't actually move visually (so you end up not knowing what their values are supposed to be ;) )
I'll go back, see if the GUI responds any better via MetaPlugin or Bidule..
(although, if you are already running Logic Pro, you could do a lot worse than the included Vintage B3 anyways ;) )

Later: Works fine with MetaPlugin (including the GUI ;) )
As for Plogue Bidule, I'm one of the unfortunate, for whom the palette won't open in Logic Pro X, so I can't test there.
In short.. MetaPlugin>jBridgeM>VB3.vst 32-bit wins the day here ;)
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

vic_france wrote: What 64-bit version of VB3?.. We are still waiting for that on Mac ;).
A 64-bit version has been announced for some two years or so. I don't think it will ever come, though. As I already mentioned in a similar thread last year, it looks like the development of the VB3 has completely come to a halt. I wouldn't invest 50 EUR in a product that's not being maintained or improved any longer.

BlackWinny wrote:GSi VB3 is by far, by far, by far the best emulation of the Hammond B3. [...]

You can be sure... Nobody has done better since VB3!
Have you already checked out the relatively new Hammr+ organ? I have only seen the videos on the web site so far, but this VSTi might change your mind about the VB3.

Skorpius wrote: Have you already checked out the relatively new Hammr+ organ? I have only seen the videos on the web site so far, but this VSTi might change your mind about the VB3.
You need the full version of Kontakt to use Hammr+.

I'm a Mac user. I bit the dust and bought 32 Lives. VB3 1.4 lives on 8)
Running Logic Pro 10.4 under Sierra on a late 2012 27" iMac wth 24 GB RAM :tu:

VB3 is available as a 64bit Windows VST. What I was wanting to know is: Is it possible to use BC's "PatchWork" 64-bit (MAC version) to load up the 64-bit version of VB3, on a MAC. I can't test for myself, because I haven't a MAC to use. :(
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

You can't host PC VST plugs in a Mac environment. They're basically incompatible. You can try to cheat using something like Wine, but don't count on it working.

32 Lives + VB3 Mac runs fine in Logic, for instance.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Brother Charles wrote:VB3 is available as a 64bit Windows VST. What I was wanting to know is: Is it possible to use BC's "PatchWork" 64-bit (MAC version) to load up the 64-bit version of VB3, on a MAC. I can't test for myself, because I haven't a MAC to use. :(
If there is a AU version of Patchwork ti should work.

I know http://ddmf.eu Metaplugin have AU versions - and interface is all graphical, really nice to work with, compared to Patchwork.

But it's already said by vic_france..

lfm wrote:
I don't think so. You'd be asking a Mac AU host app to read a Windows VST app.
Running Logic Pro 10.4 under Sierra on a late 2012 27" iMac wth 24 GB RAM :tu:

MartinC has a new plug that reproduces the Hammond Vibrato/Scanner circuit
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

They do it for me:

Organized Trio and Nubi LE by fxpointaudio (the latter eventually became freeware including some nice organ FX: rotator emulation etcetera, but hard to find these days on the web).

Commercial: NI's Vintage Organs (Kontakt based)

The very last versions of Nubi LE (and its accessories) are available here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200611272131 ... nubi3.com/

And yes, it is a huge Hammond inspired instrument. Wonderful!

But firstly Pete Jay Geerlings (the developer) wrote himself (in the PDF help file) that it's not an emulation of the B3 nor even an emulation of a Hammond organ (he wrote: "I need to spell out an important distinction that I have made in the design of NuBi. I love the way old Hammond Organs sound but my goal was not to emulate/capture this sound completely. Instead, I wanted to start with a set of known design features of the instrument (basically: drawbars, synchronous tone wheels and a percussion harmonic) and pay homage to that sound/feature set by using it as a departure point for a "New B". The final goal being a new instrument that starts where the hardware version left off.")

Therefore yes, it is a wonderful organ in the spirit of the Hammond organ, but it is not an emulation (nor aimed at being an emulation) of a Hammond organ.

And secondly, for a PURE emulation of the Hammond B3 (to come back to the initial question), it is important to stay in the target... therefore important to look precisely for the goal of the developer (in his help file for example). There are indeed several excellent Hammond emulation (my preferred, as I wrote why several pages above, remains VB3). But also beware when talking about organs and all the divide-down and paraphonic instruments: sample players (Kontakt as any other) CAN'T provide paraphony! It is not an issue of the sample players... it is an impossibility due to the definition itself of the paraphony which is at the heart of the organs. An emulation of an instrument is not only the best restitution of its sound... it is also the best restitution of how the sounds are managed in the workflow and especially by the envelopes.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

dougb256 wrote:
lfm wrote:
Well that is what Metaplugin does, at least:

" Can be used as a VST-AU-wrapper, a VST-RTAS-wrapper, an AU-RTAS-wrapper, VST-AAX wrapper or an AU-AAX wrapper "

It behave AU plugin to AU host, and VST host to VST plugin.

lfm wrote:
dougb256 wrote:
lfm wrote:
Well that is what Metaplugin does
no. meta plugin can use Mac VST but not Windows VST.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:
lfm wrote:
dougb256 wrote:
lfm wrote:
Well that is what Metaplugin does
no. meta plugin can use Mac VST but not Windows VST.
Of course, thank you, I missed the point completely, being about VB3 for Windows.
:)

Return to “Instruments”