FREE BRAINSTORMER synth - sad news :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BrainStormer

BlackWinny wrote:As long as Olivier doesn't provide a VST implementing all the common procedure to talk with a host to let it create patches and banks (and he must also give at least an empty bank of 128 places), it is even not worth it spending one minute on it since it is impossible to save anything correctly. It's like trying to create an Excel sheet without having any parameter, the number of columns, their name, their type, the name to give to each record, etc.).

We must wait, there is no other solution.

A patch of a VST is like a line in Excel. Without the structure (the columns and their type) it is impossible to create any record.

And a bank of a VST is like a sheet in Excel having 128 lines. If we haven't at least an empty bank to be used as a pattern to fill we can't create any bank at all.

We must wait, there is no other solution.
In quite every DAWs you will be able to keep your synth state, create / save presets safely. Saying the synth is useless for now is a bit severe.

bailees7irish wrote:The new version takes a long time to load in FL Studio 11. :(
VST 2.4 - although it says on FL's VST wrapper (Brainstormer VST3) ? - 32-bit version.
Yes it takes more time than before to be loaded, since some things are precomputed at start to reduce cpu consuming at runtime. But I will probably reduce that time in the future.

thanks,great synth for learning.good looking, pleasant (easy on the eye),logically organised gui.

Olivier

I don't say the synth is useless. I say spending too much time for the moment is useless. It leads to nothing really consistent. We can't even give its internal name to a patch !

And I have never said the synth is bad. It is really good ! What I say is the product has been published too early. It would have been far better to FIRST finish ALL the implementation of the patch/bank procedures in order to let the sound designers able to create immediately patches and banks. Since it is impossible for the moment... it is a mess to use the synth and create a work sessions after sessions, the host being unable to load anything in another way than manually. You released publicly the product one month too early.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

not stopping me from making patches....what i did was make a patches folder in the same folder brainstormer is in. then created subfolders inside that for bass, leads, pads, etc etc... then i simply save the fxp patches in those subfolder with the patches name as the file name. sure, you can't step through them....but i can wait for that.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

roazhondsp wrote:
bailees7irish wrote:The new version takes a long time to load in FL Studio 11. :(
VST 2.4 - although it says on FL's VST wrapper (Brainstormer VST3) ? - 32-bit version.
Yes it takes more time than before to be loaded, since some things are precomputed at start to reduce cpu consuming at runtime. But I will probably reduce that time in the future.
I didn't say anything bad about your synth. I wouldn't waste my time with it if I didn't like it, although I think it is a little on the "sweet" side.

I experienced the lack of a method to "turn" the knobs in a more controlled way (they move too much, and to adjust in small amounts, I found no way to do it - I tried with Shift, Ctrl, Alt, but none worked). There isn't also a "return to default by double click". I missed that too.

Anyway, I prefer to be able to create patches from the very beginning, even if they become messed up later, than just being messing with parameters, and not being able to save anything. As I said, I was able to save one patch banks in VST Host, and I give them names, so, I know what's there, but I would prefer to have the possibility to create saeveral patches within the same Bank.

Look forward for your next version.
Last edited by fmr on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

roazhondsp wrote:
Excellent. 8) Thanks for the reply.
[Insert Signature Here]

BlackWinny wrote:Olivier

I don't say the synth is useless. I say spending too much time for the moment is useless. It leads to nothing really consistent. We can't even give its internal name to a patch !

And I have never said the synth is bad. It is really good ! What I say is the product has been published too early. It would have been far better to FIRST finish ALL the implementation of the patch/bank procedures in order to let the sound designers able to create immediately patches and banks. Since it is impossible for the moment... it is a mess to use the synth and create a work sessions after sessions, the host being unable to load anything in another way than manually. You released publicly the product one month too early.
The release roadmap /communication for the synth is certainly not perfect. It's a freeware, still in beta version, I'm not running any buisiness with the synth, so this is not my main priority. Anyway the missing piece will be here one day.

layzer wrote:not stopping me from making patches....what i did was make a patches folder in the same folder brainstormer is in. then created subfolders inside that for bass, leads, pads, etc etc... then i simply save the fxp patches in those subfolder with the patches name as the file name. sure, you can't step through them....but i can wait for that.
Yeah that's the best way to do proceed at the moment :wink:

fmr wrote: I experienced the lack of a method to "turn" the knobs in a more controlled way (they move too much, and to adjust in small amounts, I found no way to do it - I tried with Shift, Ctrl, Alt, but none worked). There isn't also a "return to default by double click". I missed that too.
That's strange. Could you please check that when you load the plugin you are running the v0.87 version (this is displayed in the top-left corner of the GUI).

For knob control, you should have the following options:
- the plugin will use the knob mode defined by your host, or by default the linear one
- use mouse wheel for fine tuning. The knob will change by 0.1% for 1 increment.
- use SHIFT + left click in linear knob mode to double the precision
- use ALT + left click dragging to use the relative circular mode. The farthest the mouse is from the knob, the best precision you will have since the value is defined by the angle.
- use left double click to reset the default value (CTRL + left click does also this)
- press right click to display the value in a safe way

If it's not working on v0.87 I would be really happy to understand why this doesn't work on your side.

Got the vst3 32bit working in FL Studio 11 now.

It doesn't take longer to load than the regular 64 bit plug there, so that is not a major drawback

"Last tweaked" option works great with midi learn

Nice sounding synth, many options, and easy to get to grasp with, like the LFO sections in particular. I was missing a arp, but the double LFO option, really can make some complex and wacky arp like sounds :tu:

roazhondsp wrote: That's strange. Could you please check that when you load the plugin you are running the v0.87 version (this is displayed in the top-left corner of the GUI).

For knob control, you should have the following options:
- the plugin will use the knob mode defined by your host, or by default the linear one
- use mouse wheel for fine tuning. The knob will change by 0.1% for 1 increment.
- use SHIFT + left click in linear knob mode to double the precision
- use ALT + left click dragging to use the relative circular mode. The farthest the mouse is from the knob, the best precision you will have since the value is defined by the angle.
- use left double click to reset the default value (CTRL + left click does also this)
- press right click to display the value in a safe way

If it's not working on v0.87 I would be really happy to understand why this doesn't work on your side.
OK, my mistake. I tried with what you said, and things are working as described (left double click doesn't always work, but Ctrl + left click is OK). The mouse wheel is great, but I haven't tried it - good to know.
Now, I'll just wait for the next version, with the patch management already implemented.
Fernando (FMR)

Promising synth... just to chime in. :D
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

fmr wrote: I experienced the lack of a method to "turn" the knobs in a more controlled way (they move too much.
i emailed oliver about the squirley knob behavior and he agreed it was an issue.
the next version should have knobs that do not move when you click them, till AFTER you move the mouse :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks guys for the nice words ;)

Return to “Instruments”