UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Hey All,

I find the "Mapper Editor" confusing, and I don't see it mentioned in the manual.

Let's say I want to limit the top section of modulation, but keep all the other values exactly the same. I'd guess that I want the range to be from -1 to 1 and have a line go from -1 to 1 but have it level off as it gets close to 1 so that it doesn't hit 1 (this would be my limiting).

1) Do I actually want it to go from 0 to 1? I'm a little confused about the range values.

2) What's the best way to give it a perfect line from the lowest value to the highest? It seems like you need to do this by 'hand' and it's quite imprecise. A function generator, or some defaults (or presets) seem like they'd be really handy here.

Thanks,
B

If the modulator is bipolar you should use -1 to 1, if it's unipolar, you should use 0 to 1.

Right click the table and you will see Custom option for function entry :)

UmFuFu wrote:Hey All,

I find the "Mapper Editor" confusing, and I don't see it mentioned in the manual.

Let's say I want to limit the top section of modulation, but keep all the other values exactly the same. I'd guess that I want the range to be from -1 to 1 and have a line go from -1 to 1 but have it level off as it gets close to 1 so that it doesn't hit 1 (this would be my limiting).

1) Do I actually want it to go from 0 to 1? I'm a little confused about the range values.

2) What's the best way to give it a perfect line from the lowest value to the highest? It seems like you need to do this by 'hand' and it's quite imprecise. A function generator, or some defaults (or presets) seem like they'd be really handy here.

Thanks,
B
PS: Through some experimentation I realized that negative values will invert, so I want the range to be 0 to 1.
I also discovered that pressing the "Add" button will make a graph with a straight line, and that I can lower the "Size" parameter to effectively limit the values. But I do still think that having a function generator for this mapper, or some default shapes that I could insert would be really handy. Thoughts?

EvilDragon wrote:If the modulator is bipolar you should use -1 to 1, if it's unipolar, you should use 0 to 1.

Right click the table and you will see Custom option for function entry :)
AHHHH. Amazing!
Thank you!!

Please disregard my last post. I posted it before I saw this response.
Thanks.

B

alt + mouse drag allows to draw straight line as well, but custom lua function is the way to go if you know how to use it.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Would be great if Falcon remembered the last formula we typed. Sometimes you need to iterate a few times before you nail the formula, and typing it from scratch each and every time can be slightly annoying :)

EvilDragon wrote:Would be great if Falcon remembered the last formula we typed. Sometimes you need to iterate a few times before you nail the formula, and typing it from scratch each and every time can be slightly annoying :)
n o t e p a d :)

wagtunes wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:As a positive action in a crazy world, I'd like to present you guys with my very first Lua script ever to play with:

Toms Midi Mangler is a tool you can use in the "Events" tab to randomize incoming midi.
  • Note Probability allows you to set how probable it is that the note will sound at all. Higher values will only drop a note every now and then, low values will make dense note clusters sparse...
  • Velocity Probability sets the probability for the velocity to be randomly changed in percent.
  • Velocity Depth is the maximum amount of the random change from 0-127.
  • Velocity Direction allows you to select if you want the change only to go up, only down or up and down.
  • Pan Probability defines how probable it is that Pan will change randomly.
  • Pan Depth is the amount of random change around the center.
  • Pitch Probability once more defines the probability of pitch changes in percent.
  • Pitch_Depth defines the maximum pitch change in halftone steps.
  • Pitch Direction defines if the pitch change should go up, down, or both.
  • Scale allows you to apply a scale to the end result of the mangling. Set it to Chromatic if you don't want that.
  • Key sets the key for the scale.
  • Play defines what notes go through:
    "Only Notes in Scale" will only play the notes that fit the scale after the mangling, all other will be discarded.
    "Transpose to Scale" on the other hand will transpose the notes in a random direction to fit the scale (therefore all notes will sound)
The combination of probability and separate maximum random values sounds the most natural to me and provides the most flexibility in many scenarios.

This tool also works great together with other note processors like after an arpeggiator. Be sure to try that out!

If you only want to use the conform to scale part, set note probability to 100, all other probabilities to zero and set your Scale, Key and the Play setting to taste.

Let me know if you encounter any problems!

The tool is free for private use, if you use it for a commercial library, I'd be happy if you sent me a copy :-)

Download:
http://www.screendream.de/stuff/Falcon/ ... angler.zip

Put the extracted file "Toms Midi Mangler.lua" in your ...Documents\UVI\Falcon\User Presets\EventProcessors\ScriptProcessor folder, then it should show up in Falcon in the Script Processor tab.

Enjoy!!! :hug:

Cheers,

Tom
Thomas, I haven't gotten to scripts yet. Did you actually create this in Falcon? How exactly are scripts made? Is there a tutorial somewhere?
Excellent ! Fantastic ! Thanks a lot !
Did you make other script for Falcon ?
Musica ! here

JoPo wrote:Excellent ! Fantastic ! Thanks a lot !
Did you make other script for Falcon ?
You are welcome Image

No, the things I'd like to do are not possible (surround sound related stuff) and I was mostly busy with graphic and 3D work this year...
But I'd love to do more - do you have any specific ideas?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Or if anyone knows where I could find some Falcon scripts ! Thomas one is awesome and for learning Falcon LUA scripting too ! I'm going to learn : I have so many ideas and so many needs ! :D

Where can one find more Falcon script ? Thanks a lot ! :tu:
Musica ! here

ThomasHelzle wrote:You are welcome Image

No, the things I'd like to do are not possible (surround sound related stuff) and I was mostly busy with graphic and 3D work this year...
But I'd love to do more - do you have any specific ideas?
Right at the moment, I need a simple knob to add or substract velocity to midi notes ! As you see, that's quit simple ! With your script example, I think I could achieve that ! For the moment, I don't have time but next week, I'm on ... HOLIDAYS !! :party:
Musica ! here

JoPo wrote:Right at the moment, I need a simple knob to add or substract velocity to midi notes ! As you see, that's quit simple ! With your script example, I think I could achieve that ! For the moment, I don't have time but next week, I'm on ... HOLIDAYS !! :party:
If you haven't found it already:
http://www.uvi.net/uviscript/
You can also check out the script examples that come with Falcon if you didn't so far.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks ! I already knew the UVI script site... Now, I just need time to experiment !

You can find something that looks very usefull for learning LUA for audio apps :
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=180
You can download the vst .dll on the page 13..!
Musica ! here

Oliver,

I've found the oversampling options in the Drive effect to be very useful for higher pitched sounds. The Xpander filter has a very nice drive section too, but no oversampling that I can tell? I've found it gets aliasing, especially when used with higher pitched sounds. Would it be an easy thing to add the same oversampling options that are on the Drive effect module, to the Xpander filter drive section?

Thanks!
Jacob

otristan wrote:I recently found a regression in the MPE script.

Could you please try with this one ?
https://we.tl/ENfVOlxmbf

Thanks !
This doesn't appear to be available anymore. I'm having a lot of problems with the MPE script. I have it in my default preset and sometimes when I load it and load oscillators, no sound can be heard. And sometimes sound can be heard for a while and then stops being triggered. Does this new script address that?

Return to “Instruments”