Zebra

Autobot wrote:I see a lot of Zebra² brain overloads :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

pdxindy wrote:
Autobot wrote:I see a lot of Zebra² brain overloads :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This joke went over my head. :?

low_low wrote:
chk071 wrote:What i also always have to laugh about is arguing that Linux is big on the smartphone market, because of Android. Well... that's rather a perfect example of a major corporation picking up Open Source projects, to screw their closed source apps on top of it. Actually, it's a big argument AGAINST Linux, because it's a perfect example for a software made by a big company, with big ressources, and a big budget.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. It seems like you're conflating "Linux" with "Free", or something. The supposition is that if a Steinberg were to make a Cubase for Linux that they would be charging for it, not that it would be open source, and obviously that would be "software made by a big company, with big ressources[sic], and a big budget.", so I don't see how that is a refutation of the idea.

In general I think the fact that the Linux kernel is free and that so many people who talk about Linux application and really mean FREE applications is part of the problem. In business, very few people are using Linux distributions that are free, and they are paying for software .. and usually paying a LOT for commercial software, to do things they can't do on Windows boxes. Linux in that context is definitely NOT free. And there's absolutely no reason that home users can't be charged for software licenses likewise.

As far as I'm concerned it's the Linux people who go around demanding access to everything for free (and there are a lot of them) who are standing in the way of Linux being used as a desktop operating system. Perfect example, go search for something like "Linux music software", and all you're going to get is things like a list for 2018 of the top 10 open source Linux music applications. You'd be hard pressed to find commercial software, and that's the problem ... it's not a GUI issue, Linux GUI code is fine, it's mostly a branding problem, a perception problem. It also doesn't help that 10+ years ago Linux was a PITA to work with.

It's ironic to me that an operating system that big business pays out of the ass to use is the same operating system that has such a cheapskate home user base that mostly only uses Linux because they can't afford anything else. It's like watching some kid play marbles ... except instead of being able to afford "real marbles" like all the other kids they're playing with DIAMONDS and RUBIES that they found in their mother's jewelry box.
Frankly, i don't see the appeal. If there would be commercial distros, the current Linux home PC users would already turn the other way, because it wouldn't be different to Windows or Mac OS then.

I mean, why use Linux, if not for the free, open source software? Or the lack of evil, multi billion corporates behind them?

Guess i don't get it at all. Must be the reason why i use other OS's. ;)

fmr wrote:You can use whatever fits you, but Linux isn't exactly the easiest to deal with, no matter how you try to turn it (IMO). Anyway, you seem to turn things upside down. We don't choose the tools based on the OS, we choose the tools, and then install the OS necessary to work with them.
Your comparison is not really a right one. Choose the tool first ... but in order to choose you must have an OS to evaluate it isn't it ? Or will you blindly buy both a tool and a computer ? If you run Windows and want a tool that runs only on a Mac, will you get a Mac just to evaluate the tool ?

You might if you run a production business that makes a good amount of profits. If you're a company you can then make such a business decision and also factor in adaptation time for your employees and how such a switch can affect your business.

Although for regular users, no, they will not buy a Mac just to evaluate a tool.

So you do with the OS you have.
fmr wrote:Sure, if you think Bitwig Studio or REAPER is your tool of choice, and you are sure you will not need anything else, then you can go with Linux. But the question still remains: WHICH LINUX? :shrug:
Easy. Bitwig has already chosen. Just do the same. But then, you might feel brave and use another distribution. If not, just do as Bitwig does. That's the way they mostly provide Linux support also.

chk071 wrote:
low_low wrote:It's ironic to me that an operating system that big business pays out of the ass to use is the same operating system that has such a cheapskate home user base that mostly only uses Linux because they can't afford anything else. It's like watching some kid play marbles ... except instead of being able to afford "real marbles" like all the other kids they're playing with DIAMONDS and RUBIES that they found in their mother's jewelry box.
Frankly, i don't see the appeal. If there would be commercial distros, the current Linux home PC users would already turn the other way, because it wouldn't be different to Windows or Mac OS then.

I mean, why use Linux, if not for the free, open source software? Or the lack of evil, multi billion corporates behind them?

Guess i don't get it at all. Must be the reason why i use other OS's. ;)
It's like trying to explain to a girl who wants to trade her Mustang in on a Lotus why she should be interested in a Tractor trailer, when all she wants is to go fast and impress boys. I wouldn't even know where to start ...

chk071 wrote:Guess i don't get it at all. Must be the reason why i use other OS's. ;)
Because all the other OSes (note the plural you are using) you are running brings bread and butter on the table for you and your family ?

No ? Then you are free to choose.

In my case I work with Linux. Brings bread and butter, buys houses and cars, send kids to universities. I could consider that I'm free to choose, but it so happens that with Linux I can actually do music. Hear the pieces linked to in the signature.

I create using Bitwig and mix using Harrison's Mixbus32C. Harrison is a maker of hardware consoles (Supertramp, Zappa, Michael Jakcson, Paul Simon, etc.. all recorded on Harrisons' consoles) and are now into large consoles for film production, and making the Mixbus DAW based on the Open Source project Ardour.

Until recently all plugins I used were only Linux native plugins (u-he, Tracktion, OvertoneDSP, DiscoDSP). Although I am now also using Voxengo and Melda Production plugins, as well as synths like, say, Blue2, Synthmaster, Icarus, Synplant, and Sytrus.

So there must be a reason why I do NOT use all other OSes. :wink:

fmr wrote: You can use whatever fits you, but Linux isn't exactly the easiest to deal with, no matter how you try to turn it (IMO).
I think there's a Linux distro available for handicapped people ... :D

I mean, is booting from a CD/DVD, answering a few questions like what user name, which password, what time, and then proceed to install the OS too difficult ?

Have you not had to configure anything at all to make the best use of Pro Tools and Logic ? You can get the best of these DAWs without doing a single iffy of Windows/Mac configuration from a stock install ? I do not believe it. Not at all.

So, is Zebra 3 an actual thing? Asking for friend. :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:So, is Zebra 3 an actual thing? Asking for friend. :D
Yes it has a thread on the U-he forum that Urs updates regularly.

EnochLight wrote:So, is Zebra 3 an actual thing?
Maybe someday ...
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Much planning and infrastructure over many years
go into the U-he plugins. A new product comes to fruition
having taking good advantage of advancements made possible
in earlier products, when said advancements are applicable.
So Lyrebird benefits ColourCopy, things specialized in Diva
can be part of Zebra 3, new waveforms from diverse projects
can be added to Hive, and when gifted genious has both
liberty and resources, it's little wonder Zebra3 is legendary,
at whatever stage it may be. Both it's developement
and usage will be deep and wide, while still susceptible to
innovations that just can't be contained.
The real overload occurs in that secret room
above the dungeon, labeled Z4 :hyper:
Last edited by glokraw on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Most people tolerate commercial operating systems
to host their preferred DAW software. In my linux corner,
linux is the DAW, and apps like reaper, bitwig, mixbus etc
are integral in the signal path, but not necessarily the
beginning or the end of the path, wheras in a commercial
OS, the signal chain is typically boxed in by the DAW in use.

There is an interesting symmetry between the maturing
of the U-he linux plugin ports, and the nearly official
release of linux Reaper: the linux beta topic which was
locked some time ago, has been getting a lot of new views,
as people hit the search engines when reading good news.
Using U-he products in unrestrictive linux systems
is a great joy, and travelling from (audio) point A
to point B, has never been such fun, or so rewarding.
One can scratch the surface, and be dazzled,
dig deeper and become mystified, or lock the door
from the inside, and dive headlong into the overload zone :love:

glokraw wrote:the U-he linux plugin ports
As a buyer, even if I didn't use Linux, just knowing that there WAS a linux port of the plugins would be enough to convince me to buy them. Not for altruistic reasons, but because it's an indicator of excellence. You'd think a Steinberg or an Avid would do it for that reason alone, for the virtue signalling points to show that they are professional products and not consumer toys.

low_low wrote:
As a buyer, even if I didn't use Linux, just knowing that there WAS a linux port of the plugins would be enough to convince me to buy them. Not for altruistic reasons, but because it's an indicator of excellence. You'd think a Steinberg or an Avid would do it for that reason alone, for the virtue signalling points to show that they are professional products and not consumer toys.
Kvr never ceases to surprise me.
WHAT!!!!!???
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:
low_low wrote:
glokraw wrote:the U-he linux plugin ports
Kvr never ceases to surprise me.
WHAT!!!!!???
rsp
This LINUX overloads my brain... :cry:

Return to “Instruments”