Spectral suggestions (.. and questions)

RELATED
PRODUCTS
Spectral

I would like to suggest that you add sub-folders to the sound bank folders so that we can add subtopics in our own saved presets.

Or alternately, separate the user bank folder from the factory bank and put in the same single-level folder structure.

I would like to do two things -
1) save my presets in a bank structure
2) make a list of 'favorites' from the factory presets in a bank structure

How you do that matters not much to me, just so I can do that in some way.
Last edited by arachnaut on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

Another suggestion:

There are left and right arrow icons around Load for the osc waveforms and filter bands. Right now they don't do anything.

Why not let them load the next/previous wave shapes?

And, speaking of waveshapes, there is no way to know the name of the waveshapes in a patch is there? There's plenty of room in the waveform editor gui to show it somewhere.

Naturally, I'm just learning how to use this VST. I've read the manual, at least most of it, but I may have missed some obvious stuff.

One thing that deserves more explanation is the Matrix Depth parameter. I think the manual describes it for pitches, but not for other stuff. And why just the first 8 slots, why not any slot? And what if there is some recursion in the slots - one depth in slot A modifying slot B which modifies slot A?

More questions, not just suggestions:

There is mentioned an 'invisible' Limiter in the output stage. It seems to kick in only when necessary and seems to work well. Could you explain this in more detail? Maybe add a setup parameter page entry to specify attack and hold times?

Quite a few of the factory presets have volume set to clip.
I don't know if this is intentional.
Maybe a nice thing to add would be a small left/right VU meter somewhere or a clipping indicator next to the master volume.

Dear Arachnaut,

thank you for your feedback, every single comment is taken seriously and makes it on our list, even though I not comment on them in this reply.
Generally we need to find a balance between in depth control and useability, thus (in example) you cannot edit the limiter.

The Left / Right arrows DO load the prev / next waveform (or filtershape) when you loaded one, but not on a preset (that might not even be based on any of the supplied waveforms), thats also the reason there is no name indicated, but I see we could do that (which however can lead to quite some confucion once its edited, so its not trivial).

About matrix Depth I dont know what to further explain, let me know what you dont get and we take it from there.

Please not interperet my reply as a "shut up", its quite the opposite, we look for feedback, we just cannot discuss every detail with everyone contributing. Thank you for taking the time of such a detailled feedback.

Thanks for the reply.

I have yet to try my hand at making presets beyond the trivial tests, so a lot of the pieces are still a bit of a mystery to me.

Generally when I buy a new synth I listen to all the presets and mark my favorites. Then I skim over the manual and revisit the presets I like to see how they were designed. Then I start making my own. Then I read the manual again, perhaps twice depending on the need.

I'll continue to post my observations here in this thread as I learn. I don't expect replies for everything.

I like the cross-modulation possibilities and I am setting up simple sine wave tests to explore the impacts on the filters, etc.

My confusion on Matrix Depth was about the scalings - the range is +1 to -1 in general and all the modules have things normalized to that range. So for an ADSR the values are clear, but for things like filter frequencies it isn't.

If, for example, Mod wheel is set to max so it is sending MIDI value 127 that is converted to a scale of 1. If that modifies a filter with Freq set to 0 I expect it is as if I turned the freq knob fully on. Conversely, if the Filter freq is fully on and I scale by -1, turning the Mod Wheel up decreases the freq to fully off.

But for things like pitches, somehow the scaling is in semitones, or something like that?

I guess I just need to play with it a bit.

To expand a bit on the Matrix modulation possibilities and ranges.

I guess what confuses me in the mapping is linear response versus logarithmic response.

If a MIDI note (0-127) maps to something, it is clearly exponential and one notch equals one MIDI note (or a semitone).

But if I map a MOD Wheel the mapping is linear and then it is something quite different - one notch = 1 Hz or whatever. Or does this depend on the target being modulated?

Pitch wheel is probably exponential, but what about the foot controller or expression pedal? Is it exponential or linear or does it depend on the target?

To make it even clearer, older-style modular synths with patch cords may have a linear input patch or an exponential input patch on each module - so the choice depends on which input one uses.

This make a difference when using FM modulation inputs, for example.

I think you just think a bit too much about it. I think its safe to say that we were first putting a modulation matrix in a synthesizer plugin, and in all these years I have seem many competitors coming up with clones, and sometimes with "additions", like linear and logarithmic curves or other fetaures. However, we always spend a lot of thinking on keeping the matrix simple, source, amount, destination. The rest is hidden and in most cases working "as one would expect". However, expectations are different sometimes and so we might not always hit the nail, but my advide to you is just doing things, the matrix is really not difficult for the user, except when you try to understand all the tech behind, but thats not required to make sounds.

It will be a special day when we can load single cycle waveforms into Spectral.

Thanks Peter :wink:
No auto tune...

I just bought Spectral after playing with the demo off and on for a week. I have been an Albino 3 user for a while. I bought Albino 2 as my first VST synth and I did almost everything with it when I needed any kind of analogue synth stuff. I really loved the lay-out and for the most part, the sound. I'm still trying to find mad love for Spectral. I know that it will have it's place in some productions but as far as a replacement for Albino, I'm having trouble imagining it working well in that respect from the presets. I know, I know, they are only presets which brings me to my suggestion; If this is really supposed to be the replacement for Albino and really is capable of such, could we maybe get a bank of sounds that mostly replicate some favorites from Albino? Maybe some that would show a warmer, softer side of Spectral or really show off some classic synth-style sounds? It just seems that a lot of the presets are just kind of cold. I'm not saying that is bad but I think a lot of people used Albino as a bread and butter analogue VA. If Spectral is as capable, it would be nice to see that aspect well represented in some presets.

Also, I have to admit, I am a little (quite a bit) disappointed in the lack of a noise generator. I listened to the noise emulations and one of them is not too bad but it really leaves me wanting for a dedicated couple of noise waveforms. I think I read somewhere where you explained that it just wasn't possible. I wouldn't know as I'm not talented in that respect at all. I've got mad respect for all you have done. I'm just saying that if in the future, there was a way to implement dedicated noise, that would be great.

I'm not complaining, just making suggestions. I knew these things before I bought and I still bought because I know you are incredibly talented in this realm. I'm just hoping for some modifications in the future. Thanks for listening to us!

:)

I am also finding some patches (including some I am making myself) to be really taxing on the CPU. I have an i7 3820 running in Cubase 5.52 under Win 8.

EricWatkins wrote: Maybe some that would show a warmer, softer side of Spectral or really show off some classic synth-style sounds? It just seems that a lot of the presets are just kind of cold. I'm not saying that is bad but I think a lot of people used Albino as a bread and butter analogue VA. If Spectral is as capable, it would be nice to see that aspect well represented in some presets.

Also, I have to admit, I am a little (quite a bit) disappointed in the lack of a noise generator.

:)
Pads and chords folder:
ho Serious Horn Saw - try Modwheel up for some warm pad.

ho Airy D-50 - turn off Osc2, Modwheel up for a soft SynStrings,
Aftertouch for some nice filter sweep. :wink:

- I would be also happy for a dedicated Noise Osc - even if it means a 5th Osc.

Cheers, :)
Joseph

Hello Eric,
Spectral offers a certain synthesis method, which allows some unusual sounds. On the downside such filters require more CPU. So using Spectral for bread and butter sounds is just a waste. When making presets we sorted out a lot of bread and butter sounds, because the comments we got from some beta testers where like that: "Thats a nice sound, but why does it take so much CPU". Thats exactly the point, you can make normal average sounds with much less CPU, but thats not what Spectral is about, Spectral is about the unusual sounds :)

.. which not means Spectral isnt capable of those, of course it is. You can drive for shopping with a sports car too.

I understand Peter. It is an amazing synth regardless and I look forward to finding it's strengths that work well for what I want to do. The layout is great.

Return to “LinPlug”